Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


2 September 2016

Goals from Jack Payne and Kasey Palmer earned Town the win

-    Town beat Liverpool FC 2-1 in behind-closed-doors friendly
-    Holmes-Dennis makes first HTAFC appearance
-    Joe Murphy played 45 minutes

Tareiq Holmes-Dennis made his first appearance in a Huddersfield Town shirt as David Wagner’s side beat Liverpool FC 2-1 in a behind-closed-doors friendly at Melwood.

Town’s new left back, who joined from Charlton on 24 August, started alongside Michael Hefele, Ivan Paurević and Martin Cranie in defence.

The 5ft 9’ defender was given the task of facing former England international James Milner and Under-23’s winger Rhian Brewster. Tareiq battled strongly against them both and looked to get forwards quickly when the opportunity presented itself.

Goalkeeper Joe Murphy played his first match since Town’s FA Cup defeat to Reading on 19 January.

The Irish ‘keeper played 45 minutes and communicated excellently with his teammates before being replaced by Luke Coddington at half-time.

In a very competitive first half Liverpool FC had the opening chance through Roberto Firmino; Michael Hefele cleared Milner’s cross but the ball fell to Firmino on the edge of the area who blazed his shot over Murphy’s goal.

After the opening fifteen minutes Town began to create chances mainly through Jack Payne.

The attacking midfielder set-up Harry Bunn whose shot was blocked before Payne riffled a right foot strike goal wards which was well tipped over the bar by Alex Manninger.

Payne continued to be involved for Town and linked up well with striker Kasey Palmer throughout the match.

A good piece of skill from Sean Scannell released the 21 year-old again but his low drive was once again stopped by the Liverpool ‘keeper.

With only minutes remaining the former Southend man had the best chance of the half to break the deadlock.

Good pressing from Bunn, Billing and Palmer forced a poor pass from Joel Matip which was intercepted by Payne in the box but his shot squeezed just past the post.

Town started the second half well. Michael Hefele turned two players before releasing Bunn down the left. The winger cut inside but fizzed his shot just past the post.

However, it was the home side who took the lead. Substitute ‘keeper Luke Coddington saved a good strike by Danny Ings but Firmino collected the rebound and found young midfielder Ejaria who head home from close range.

This didn’t deter David Wagner’s side who levelled after 70 minutes. Phil Billing won the ball in the middle of midfield and found Palmer who threaded the ball between the two central defenders.

Payne beat Stewart to the ball and placed the ball past on on-rushing Alex Manninger to draw Town level.

The Terriers continued to press forwards and scored the winner with ten minutes to go.

Sean Scannell showed the ‘Terriers Identity’ chasing back a pass to Manninger; the ‘keeper cleared the ball straight to Palmer, who finished coolly from close range and earned his side the win.

Town line-up (4-2-3-1):
Joe Murphy (Luke Coddington 45’); Tareiq Holmes-Dennis (Jacob Hanson 81’), Michael Hefele, Ivan Paurević, Martin Cranie; Philip Billing (Regan Booty 76’), Dean Whitehead; Harry Bunn, Jack Payne, Sean Scannell; Kasey Palmer (Rekeil Pyke 89’)

Unused subs:
Fraser Horsfall, Lewis O’Brien

Liverpool line-up (4-3-3):
Alex Manninger, James Milner, Joel Matip, Lucas, Alberto Moreno, Kevin Stewart (Joe Maguire, 72), Ovie Ejaria (Adam Phillips, 85), Roberto Firmino (Rafael Camacho, 86), Rhian Brewster (Pedro Chirivella, 57), Yan Dhanda (Connor Randall, 57), Danny Ings.
Tweets by @htafcdotcom

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account