Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


28 November 2016

Cedwyn Scott scored his first U23 goal of the season

-    Town’s Under-23s beaten by Birmingham City
-    Dylan Cogill and Cedwyn Scott scored for Town
-    Highlights available on HTTV later this week

Huddersfield Town’s Under-23s were beaten 4-2 by a strong Birmingham City side in the Professional Development League at Solihull Moors’ Autotech Stadium on Monday afternoon.

Town’s young side, that permitted none of the permitted overage players, got off to a good start against a Birmingham City side that included seven players who have made First Team appearances so far this season.

In the opening ten minutes, young striker Ronan Coughlan was brought off injured and replaced by second year scholar Cedwyn Scott, who has scored 15 goals in 15 games for the Under-18s this season.

Following the substitution, the Blues dominated possession and had a good chance created by youngster Che Adams. The 20 year-old striker, who has made 15 appearances for Gary Rowett’s First Team so far this season, broke down the right and rolled the ball across the centre of the box but Jordan Williams did well to clear the ball in the centre of the box.

In the 27th minute Frankie Bunn’s youngsters took the lead. Town’s first corner was cleared to Jack Boyle who’s shot from distance rattled the post; Dylan Cogill reacted quickest to the rebound and drove the ball into the back of the net.

Town’s Under-23s didn’t have the lead for long though; just four minutes later Greg Stewart equalised. The 26 year-old met Paul Robinson’s cross at the back post and finished crisply past George Dorrington.

In the 36th minutes the hosts were ahead. Che Adams struck a sweet volley past Dorrington after meeting Stewart’s inswinging cross from the right-hand side.

Substitute, Cedwyn Scott scored his first goal for the Under-23s in the 41st minute. Town’s young striker capitalised on Baba’s short back pass and drew the scores level from 12 yards out.

Town were only level for two minutes, however, as the Blues restored their lead through Adams. This time Dorrington did excellently to deny Stewart’s header before the former Sheffield United man squeezed a volley past the young ‘keeper.

The second half was tightly contested as Town looked to get back in the game. Paul Robinson did well to glance a dangerous free-kick behind for a corner, which was later cleared within the first two minutes of the half.

Both sides continued to create chances. Solomon-Otabor fizzed a shot just wide of the post before Booty forced Legzdins into a good save just after the hour mark.

In the 76th minute Birmingham scored their fourth, through left-back Steve Seddon. He received the ball down the left-hand side and took on two players before placing the ball past Dorrington.

The home side had the final few chances late on. Diego Fabbrini, who came on against Town’s First Team in the 1-1 draw earlier this season, slipped in Che Adams who dragged his shot wide.

Moments before the final whistle the pair combined again this time Adams found Fabbrini in the box but the former Italy international blazed over from 12 yards out.

Highlights of the match will be available via HTTV later this week!

Town’s team (4-2-3-1):

George Dorrington; Jacob Hanson, Dylan Cogill, Danny Kane, Jordan Williams; Lewis O’Brien, Regan Booty (c); Dom Tear (Olly Dyson 85’), Jack Boyle, Sam Warde (Denilson Carvalho, 60’); Ronan Coughlan (Cedwyn Scott, 10’)

Unused subs:

Tadhg Ryan, Rarmani Edmonds-Green

Tweets by @htafcdotcom

Advertisement block