Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


17 December 2016

Club News


17 December 2016

Dons defeat the Terriers

- Town defeated in the FA Youth Cup
- Third Round defeat to visitors AFC Wimbledon
- Cedwyn Scott scored Town's goal

Huddersfield Town’s Under-18 side fell at the first hurdle in the 2016/17 FA Youth Cup, losing to AFC Wimbledon in the Third Round at the John Smith’s Stadium.

The Terriers were far from their best on a cold afternoon, but it still looked promising when top scorer Cedwyn Scott’s 17th of the U18 season gave them a half time lead.

However, the Dons were the better side in the second half and won it with a quick-fire brace in the final four minutes to seal an away victory.

With First Team Coach Andrew Hughes and Senior Professional Development Coach Frankie Bunn watching on from the stands, the young Terriers enjoyed the better of the first 45 minutes and deservedly led at the interval after creating all the game’s chances.

As early as the third minute, Dom Tear weaved his way past two defenders from the right before having a shot blocked behind for a corner. That was worked back to the edge of the box for winger Luca Colville to try his luck, who drilled a low effort wide of the near post from 25 yards out.

Wimbledon’s players showed some dynamic movement in attack and kept Town’s defence, marshalled by the excellent Rarmani Edmonds-Green, honest. The visitors’ first shot came in minute nine, with midfielder Reece Williams-Bowers picking up a loose ball before dragging a shot wide from range.

Top scorer Scott had a few sights at goal before opening the scoring in the 19th minute. His first came in the 10th after a Lewis O’Brien was knocked into his path by a defender, with the Newcastle-born striker firing a volleyed snapshot over when well positioned.

Scott had another chance four minutes later when Colville picked him out with a low ball into the area, but he pulled his shot wide of the far post after an initial touch to make room for the shot.

The move of the game created another shooting chance for Scott in the 18th minute, with attacking midfielder Denilson Carvalho releasing Colville into space down the left. Luca picked out Scott’s near post run excellently again, but the striker could only turn the ball wide on the half volley.

When Scott’s goal did come, it was worth the wait. Skipper Edmonds-Green started the move at the back, finding midfielder O’Brien in space in midfield with a great pass. He drove forward in typical fashion before playing the ball into the right edge of the penalty area for Scott, who took aim and expertly drove the ball low past the goalkeeper’s right side to open the scoring.

Town’s standards dropped slightly after the goal, with Wimbledon’s left winger Wood coming in from the left flank to shoot wide, but they still created two chances before the half time break. O’Brien blazed over from 20 yards after Colville nutmegged a man on the dead ball line and crossed before Scott forced Wimbledon ‘keeper Bursik into a great save with a left footed shot from 18 yards out; the ‘keeper doing excellently to push the ball around the post.

The Dons started the second half in the ascendancy, pinning Carss’ side back into its half for 10 minutes. There were hearts in mouths when Town left back Sam Gibson also sliced a Wood cross into his own net, clearing the ball around a foot above his own crossbar in error.

At the other end, Colville used O’Brien’s run as a decoy to create space for a right footed shot that barely tested the goalkeeper in the 56th minute.

The Dons started to create, with striker Antwi forcing Ryan Schofield into a routine save as the hour mark passed.

Town still had moments of quality in attack and Scott soon forced the goalkeeper into another save. Colville chested a long clearance into Carvalho’s path and his reverse pass found the striker’s run, who stung the palms of the custodian with a high rasping drive.

Dom Tear soon shot wide, but the final minutes of the game belonged to the visitors. Schofield was needed in the 73rd minute to turn substitute Nelson-Roberts’ shot around the post as Wimbledon started to probe for the equaliser.

Scott almost rounded off his eventful day with a goal from halfway in the 83rd minute, picking up an O’Brien pass before surprising everyone by launching the ball goalward. Unfortunately for him, his excellent effort dropped on the top of the net.

Then came the Wimbledon brace. The first came from an 86th minute corner, conceded when Elliott knocked the ball behind trying to shepherd it dead. All the Town defenders surged to the near post as Wood sent the delivery long, allowing substitute Akoto to take aim as the ball landed and drill it low past Schofield.

Things worsened two minutes later when Elliott was adjudged to have tripped a Wimbledon man as he turned onto a throw-in just inside the area. That allowed midfielder Hartigan to step up and send Schofield the wrong way from the spot to win the game for his side.

Town’s team (4-2-3-1):
Ryan Schofield; Sam Gibson, Rarmani Edmonds-Green (c), Callum Elliott, Jordan Williams; Lewis O’Brien, Isaac Marriott; Luca Colville, Denilson Carvalho (Olly Dyson, 76’), Dom Tear; Cedwyn Scott

Unused subs:
Owen Brooke, Alfie Raw, Matty Daly, George Danaher


Tweets by @htafcdotcom

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account