Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


29 August 2016

First win of 2016/17 for Frankie Bunn’s squad

- Town U23s win at Hull City
- Luca Colville, Jack Boyle & Lewis O'Brien score
- First win of 2016/17 for Development Squad

Huddersfield Town’s Under-23 squad won its first competitive game of the 2016/17 season at league leaders Hull City on Monday evening.

After a draw against Charlton Athletic and defeat at Watford last weekend, Frankie Bunn’s side conceded the first goal again and had to come from behind, aided by the Tigers having a man sent off just after the half hour mark.

However, a side with no overage players and missing Jake Charles and Jordan Williams due to international duty found a way to record a victory against a good opponent.

As early as the first minute, home striker Ben Hinchliffe tested Joel Coleman in the Town goal with a shot that needed saving.

Hull continued to make the running and opened the scoring in the 16th minute when Jarrod Bowen’s powerful shot beat Coleman.

Joel had to save another effort five minutes later, pushing Hull captain Greg Olley’s effort around the post.

It took until the 26th minute for Town to test the home goalkeeper, with attacking midfielder Jack Boyle’s powerful low drive forcing a save from ‘keeper Jonathan Saltmer.

However, the flow of the game changed 10 minutes later when Hull’s Ben Hinchliffe was shown a red card for a poor challenge, kicking out at Town centre back Danny Kane.

It was still 1-0 at the interval, but a half time change from Bunn soon paid dividends. Town skipper Regan Booty’s 54th minute shot was saved by Saltmer, but parried right into the path of substitute Luca Colville (pictured above). The Under-18 midfielder made no mistake, slotting home to level the scores.

It got better 10 minutes later as Town took the lead. This time Saltmer had no chance as Boyle took aim 25 yards out and fired a superb shot into the top corner, with the ball kissing the post on the way in.

‘Boyley’ should have netted again three minutes later, but spurned a much easier opportunity; firing over the bar from close range.

Town had a third ruled out for offside with five minutes left, but the goal did eventually come in the first minute of added time. Midfielder Lewis O’Brien seized on a poor pass out of the Tigers defence and ran clear, making no mistake in slotting home.

Town’s team (4-2-3-1):
Joel Coleman; Jack Senior, Fraser Horsfall, Danny Kane, Jacob Hanson; Philip Billing, Regan Booty (c); Lewis O’Brien, Jack Boyle (Sam Warde, 90), Jamie Spencer (Luca Colville, 46); Rekeil Pyke

Unused subs:
Tadhg Ryan, Dom Tear, Cedwyn Scott

Tweets by @htafcdotcom

Advertisement block