Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


19 October 2015

Jake Charles brace leads way for young Terriers

- Sixth straight win for HTAFC Under-21s
- Jake Charles nets brace in comprehensive victory
- Highlights on HTTV on Tuesday

Frankie Bunn’s Development Squad smashed visitors Coventry City at PPG Canalside on Monday afternoon to record a sixth straight Professional Development League 2 North win.

The game finished 6-1, but in truth the Terriers could – and perhaps should – have had more after totally dominating the ball and creating numerous clear-cut chances.

Despite that, it took until added time in the first half for the floodgates to open. Town’s side – which featured goalkeeper Lloyd Allinson as the only overage player – pressed the young Sky Blues back into their half for the entire 45 minutes, but couldn’t connect with the high number of balls flashed across the face of goal.

Striker Flo Bojaj turned an early cross wide of the near post, Duane Holmes had a shot deflected just wide, Fraser Horsfall headed a deep corner wide of target, Regan Booty sent a tame shot straight at the visiting goalkeeper and Jake Charles (pictured above) forced a good save before the scoring began.

There were five minutes of added time at the end of the first half after Coventry custodian Konrad Skuza needed treatment on a knock to the face and Bunn’s side netted two quick-fire goals to cap off the performance. 

Academy scholar Booty netted the first, stepping up after a free kick was awarded 20 yards out for a Coventry handball and dispatching the ball into the far corner. 

The second soon followed and owed a lot to Holmes’ work. The diminutive midfielder seized possession for his side on halfway and drove down the left before releasing Jake Charles into the penalty area, who expertly swept the ball past the advancing ‘keeper.

Town’s third goal was arguably the pick of the bunch when it came in the 54th minute. The passing move started with centre half Fraser Horsfall and worked down the left until Charles set left back Jack Senior into space. The defender then stood the ball up perfectly for Irish first year professional Ronan Coughlan to head home.

Charles forced Skuza into another save soon after as Coventry seemed to lose heart before Sondre Tronstad should have netted, only to delay a one-on-one too long and allow the goalie to block.

In fact, Coventry scored the next goal. Senior didn’t close down a cross quickly enough and the unfortunate Horsfall saw his diving header fly past Allinson and into the bottom corner of his own net. Having come into the game with three successive clean sheets that was the only disappointment on the afternoon.

Regardless, Town pressed on. Senior fired wide when well positioned on the edge of the box before Tronstad did get his goal, reacting quickly to fire home a low cross from second half sub Rekeil Pyke.

Academy scholar Pyke was too powerful for the Coventry defence and he brushed off two challenges with consummate ease before sliding the ball across the six yard box for Charles to knock home his second, with referee Mr Tomes playing an excellent advantage in the process.

Pyke deserved his goal when it came; he collected Tronstad’s ball over the top that put him through on goal and finished between the goalkeeper and the near post.

Charles spurned his chance for a hat-trick in the 83rd minute when he fired well wide from sub Jack Boyle’s through pass, whilst Pyke and Tronstad had chances to make it seven too.

Highlights from the game will appear on HTTV on Tuesday.

Town’s team (4-4-2 diamond):
Lloyd Allinson; Jack Senior, William Boyle (c) (Danny Kane, 46), Fraser Horsfall, Jacob Hanson; Regan Booty, Duane Holmes, Sondre Tronstad, Ronan Coughlan (Jack Boyle, 64); Jake Charles, Flo Bojaj (Rekeil Pyke, 46)

Unused subs:
Sam Guthrie, Ben Holmes

Advertisement block