Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


7 November 2015


Mark Lillis took temporary charge as Town welcomed rivals Leeds United to the John Smith’s Stadium in the first West Yorkshire derby of the season, but the day went sour for the Terriers thanks largely to a poor end to the first 45 minutes.

Town made four changes from the team which drew 2-2 at Reading in midweek with Jed Steer, Joel Lynch (suspension), Emyr Huws and Jamie Paterson (injury) dropping out and Joe Murphy, Murray Wallace, Dean Whitehead and Joe Lolley coming into the starting eleven.

Leeds named the same unchanged team which beat Cardiff 1-0 at Elland Road in midweek which was Steve Evans' first win as Leeds United manager. 

As expected, the game began like most local derbies at a frantic pace with neither team able to threaten the opposing goal in the early exchanges.

The first half chance fell to Town as Joe Lolley cut inside onto his left foot from the right but his shot which was blocked by a Leeds defender.

Leeds were forced into an early change following a clash of heads prior to a corner between two Leeds defenders, Liam Cooper and Scott Wooton. One-time Town loanee Cooper was stretchered off with a head injury after lengthy treatment on the pitch and replaced by Sol Bamba.

Two bookings followed with Scott Wooton making a late challenge on Harry Bunn and soon after Martin Cranie picked up a caution following a foul on Mirco Antenucci.

Town was back on top after the restart and the best chance fell their way in the 29th minute after Harry Bunn latched onto a neat back-heel through the Leeds defence but his placed shot was comfortably saved by Silvestri in the Leeds goal.

Another forced first half substitution was required for Town as Phillip Billing, who has begun impressively on his first home league start for the Club, was unable to shake off a knock suffered in a 50/50 challenge with Bamba and he was replaced in the 30th minute by Emyr Huws.

Leeds first notable chance fell to Alex Mowatt who picked up the ball after some good hold up work from Chris Wood but his shot flashed across the face of goal and didn't cause Murphy any problems.

Prior to half time Harry Bunn cut inside on the edge of the area and was fouled gifting Town a dangerous free kick on the edge of the area. Nahki Wells stepped up but fired his shot wide of the Leeds goal.

A major talking point arose in the first of the eight minutes of additional time as already booked Wooton fouled Huws on the halfway line, but the referee opted not to send the Leeds defender off.

Then, in added time, the first goal went in favour of the visitors. A good run and cross on the right wing by Stuart Dallas led to the ball finding Mirco Antenucci in the area who poked the ball home giving Leeds the one goal lead.

It was a quick fire double as Leeds doubled their lead after Antenucci broke through the Town defence, ghosting in behind an oblivious Cranie. Baring down on goal he took it round Murphy and rolled his shot towards goal which was initially blocked on the line, but followed in by Chris Wood to give Leeds the two goal advantage late in first half added time.

Town came out for the second half looking to try and recover something from the game despite being at a two goal disadvantage.

Nahki Wells found himself through on goal early in the second half but Sol Bamba managed to get back and put in an inch-perfect tackle before Wells was able to get his shot at goal.

Town were applying the pressure with a flurry of chances the best being a left footed shot from Kyle Dempsey who skipped past Bamba with some excellent skill but his shot was straight at the Leeds ‘keeper.

Leeds third goal came somewhat against the run of second half play through an excellent 25 yard left footed strike by Alex Mowatt which left Murphy in the Town goal with no chance.

Town forced an excellent save from Marco Silvestri in the 60th minute after a cross from Jason Davidson found James Vaughan in the area but his left footed shot was well saved by the keeper.

Vaughan had another good chance in the 65th minute after a good passing move found the striker but his shot on the turn didn't cause the Leeds goalkeeper any problems.

The next chance again fell to Town as Bunn cut inside taking it past two players and curling his shot towards the far post but Silvestri once again made an excellent save.

Leeds nearly got their fourth late in the game as Jordan Botaka skipped past Jason Davidson but his curling effort was tipped onto the crossbar and over by Joe Murphy.

The game ended 3-0 to the visitors with Town now looking onto the next game away at Sheffield Wednesday after the international break. 

Town's team (4-3-3): 
Joe Murphy; Jason Davidson, Murray Wallace, Mark Hudson (c), Martin Cranie; Philip Billing (Emyr Huws, 30), Dean Whitehead, Kyle Dempsey; Harry Bunn, Nahki Wells (James Vaughan, 57'), Joe Lolley (Duane Holmes 71')

Unused subs: 
Jed Steer, Tommy Smith, Mustapha Carayol, Flo Bojaj

Advertisement block