Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


21 February 2015


The Terriers recorded a second successive draw on Saturday with a goalless stalemate against visitors Cardiff City.

The first half was an uneventful affair, with both sides finding it almost frustrating at times whilst in possession of the ball. Nevertheless, there were some chances for both to take the lead. 

Former Cardiff City Captain Mark Hudson - facing his former employers for the first time since departing Wales for the John Smith’s Stadium in August 2014 - saw his glancing header parried wide by ‘keeper David Marshall, who stood firm on more than one occasion in the first 45 minutes. 

Russell Slade was forced to make an early substitution after Scott Malone seemed to suffer a hamstring injury after just 20 minutes of play. Matthew Connolly was his replacement, which required former Town defender Lee Peltier to shift from right to left back. 

Cardiff’s only real chance then fell to Eoin Doyle, who saw his header pushed over the bar by Marshall’s opposite number. Alex Smithies was quick to react to Doyle’s close-range effort, though it could be said that the striker should’ve done better with the scoring opportunity. 

Nahki Wells then came close to giving Town the lead, as James Vaughan slipped his compatriot through with a clever reverse ball. Yet Marshall was again quick to pounce on the loose ball and preserved his side’s clean sheet.

A final flourish from the Bluebirds encapsulated the first-half’s action, as Kenwyne Jones was brought down by Tommy Smith on the edge of Town’s area – however Cardiff’s set-piece specialist Peter Whittingham failed to beat the wall as the referee sounded his whistle for half-time. 

Whittingham then had a chance early in the second half to give the visitors the lead as he fired an effort goal wards, thanks to some neat play from Matthew Kennedy. The midfielder’s effort looked destined for the net, though a fine block from Murray Wallace cleared any danger for the home side. 

Town then seemingly found some much needed ambition, as Jacob Butterfield and Sean Scannell both on different occasions set off on equally positive runs towards the Cardiff goal.

Chris Powell reciprocated with a change of personnel after 67 minutes as Nahki Wells made way for Ishmael Miller, however the encounter still lacked quality in the final third. 

Powell’s opposite number followed Town’s alteration with two changes of his own, bringing Matthew Kennedy off for Conor McAleny with 20 minutes left to play – and then Alex Revell on for striker Eoin Doyle.

Both sides then seemed to toy with the idea of delivering a decisive blow, as half chances passed the two outfits by. However with Kenwyne Jones still leading the charge for Cardiff, Slade’s side persisted in firing the ball up to the imposing frontman. 

Conversely, a last throw of the dice from Chris Powell saw a double substitution with less than five minutes left on the clock.

Sean Scannell was replaced by Harry Bunn, and Joe Lolley was called into action after Jonathan Hogg made his way to Town’s bench. 

Nevertheless, these changes made no impact on the outcome of the game as the visitors left with a share of the spoils. 

The draw gives Town a point as they prepare for their midweek game against Reading on Tuesday evening.

Town’s team (3-5-2):
Alex Smithies; Murray Wallace, Mark Hudson (c), Tommy Smith; Jack Robinson, Jacob Butterfield, Conor Coady, Jonathan Hogg (Joe Lolley, 85), Sean Scannell (Harry Bunn, 85); James Vaughan, Nahki Wells (Ishmael Miller, 67)

Unused subs:
Joe Murphy, David Edgar, Oscar Gobern, Radoslaw Majewski

Advertisement block