Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


13 January 2014

Ninth straight win for Development Squad

A last-minute penalty from Captain Jordan Sinnott secured a 3-2 victory over Crewe Alexandra in the Under-21 Professional Development League at Canalside this afternoon, who ended the game with eight men.

It’s now nine consecutive league victories for Steve Eyre’s team, who fielded a strong side featuring the likes of Calum Woods, Keith Southern and Anton Robinson. 

Crewe fielded striker Uche Ikpeazu, who signed this morning on a loan deal from Watford, whilst also including ex-Leeds goalkeeper Alan Martin.

Town were in front on nine minutes, when some fine work from Harry Bunn allowed Sinnott to cross and Robinson headed past Martin. 

However, they could only hold on to the lead for seven minutes, with a corner resulting in a goal line scramble which was prodded home by Uche Ikpeazu to put Crewe level.

The Terriers had chances from Bunn and Sinnott but Crewe also looked dangerous with Ikpeazu a real handful at times for the visitors.

And Crewe took the lead on the break when an innocuous free-kick was pumped forward and Murdoch latched onto it, rounding the ‘keeper and giving Alex the advantage going into the break.

Five minutes into the second half, the Terriers were level once more. Academy first year scholar Nathaniel Pells, making his first start for Steve Eyre’s side, crossed to the back post and Harry Bunn headed in from close range.

Crewe then looked to regain the lead and came close through Cooper and Howell, whilst Town also had chances with the lively Bunn nearly finding Atkinson with a ball across the goal and almost getting onto the end of Pells’ cross on 74 minutes. 

Just a minute later the game changed as Crewe were reduced to ten men. George Evans was the man who was dismissed for a crunching tackle on Atkinson in the middle of the pitch, with the referee deeming it to be reckless.

Town then took the game to their opponents, with Sinnott trying a free-kick which was well-saved by Martin, then a chip with his left foot nearly beating the Scottish ‘keeper. 

Keith Southern let fly from the edge of the area, whilst Calum Woods also had two efforts from distance as time looked to be running out.

But then in stoppage time, a Town corner resulted in a penalty being awarded for a push in the six-yard box. 

Both Perry Ng and George Ray were dismissed for their remonstrations, as Sinnott coolly slotted the spot-kick into the bottom left corner. 

Town’s team (4-3-3):
Lloyd Allinson; Calum Woods, Fraser Horsfall, Joe Wright, Jordan Sinnott (c); Keith Southern, Chris Atkinson, Anton Robinson; Harry Bunn, Nat Pells, Paul Mullin

Unused subs:
Sam Guthrie, Jack Senior, Matt Crooks, Regan Booty

Advertisement block