Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


11 February 2014


Paterson brace sinks Terriers

Jamie Paterson scored twice and Darius Henderson added a third late on to condemn Huddersfield to their first defeat in four home league matches.

22 year-old Paterson was the difference between the two sides, showing some clinical finishing in what had been a tight game. 

Town remained unchanged from the side which beat Wigan on Saturday and went into the game having won the last three home league fixtures.

Joel Lynch faced the club he appeared for 90 times in the four years prior to moving to Town in 2012.

Four of the last five games between the two sides at the John Smith’s Stadium had ended in 1-1 draws; the Terriers’ having failed to beat the Reds in the last seven meetings, dating back to November 2005.

The first real chance came on 10 minutes, with Jamie Paterson bursting clear of the Town defence. Joel Lynch recovered well though, sliding in to clear the danger. 

On 22 minutes, Adam Clayton played the ball through to Jonathan Hogg, catching the Forest defence sleeping, but Hogg was clattered by Forest keeper Karl Darlow. Play continued momentarily before the game was paused so that the midfielder could receive treatment, the play being resumed with a drop-ball.

Two minutes later it was Nahki Wells, playing his 100th Football League game, who was able to break. The Bermudian International nicked the ball from Greg Halford, but could not outpace Jack Hobbs who cleared the danger.

James Vaughan limped off with a leg injury and was replaced by Danny Ward, who was the next to come close as he was whiskers away from Norwood’s wicked delivery from the right, but Darlow punched clear. The ball fell to Clayton, but his shot was blocked before Forest cleared their lines.

On 43 minutes, Radoslaw Majewski tried a curler from range and Smithies was well-beaten, but it sailed just wide.

And on the brink of half-time, Darlow was called into action again as Adam Hammill crossed towards Ward. He punched the ball to Norwood, but his shot trickled past the post.

After the restart, it was Town who started brighter but Forest had the first clear chance. Reid played in Rafik Djebbour who found himself one-on-one with Smithies, but the Town keeper was able to stick out a strong right arm to deny the Algerian.

Paul Dixon was busy on the left, trying from range with his weaker right foot before playing the ball into Ward whose half-volley was straight at the Forest keeper. 

Ward then twisted past Jamaal Lascalles and found his way into the area, but the 23-year-old shot wide. Hammill then played in Ward who headed towards goal, but the ball flicked off the outside of the post.

On 63 minutes, it was Forest who found the breakthrough. Andy Reid played the ball to Danny Fox on the left, who swung the ball in for Jamie Paterson to head the ball home.

Sean Scannell came on for Norwood and showed his trickery to win a freekick on the left. Hammill played the ball in, and Town had claims for a penalty for handball, but the referee gave the decision in Forest’s favour. 

Scannell then made his way into the area and was brought down by Halford, who was adjudged to have taken the ball before taking down the attacker. 

And as Town pushed for the equaliser, Forest broke. A long ball was played up to Darius Henderson who nodded the ball down for Paterson to cut inside and bag his second of the game.

Hammill tried to recover the game and broke on the left, going down after a challenge from Majewski, but again the referee waved play on.

On 88 minutes, Darius Henderson capitalised on a mistake from Anthony Gerrard, rounding Smithies before slotting it home to complete the rout.

Town’s team (3-5-2):

Alex Smithies (c); Joel Lynch, Anthony Gerrard, Tommy Smith; Paul Dixon, Jonathan Hogg, Oliver Norwood (Sean Scannell, 70), Adam Clayton, Adam Hammill; James Vaughan (Danny Ward, 37), Nahki Wells (Martin Paterson, 78)

Unused substitutes:

Ian Bennett, Calum Woods, Peter Clarke, Keith Southern

Bookings Town: Vaughan 19, Clayton 58
Bookings Forest:

Gate: 13249
Away: 1701

Advertisement block