Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


8 April 2014


First half strikes from Paul Anderson and Daryl Murphy condemned Huddersfield Town to successive home league defeats.

The Terriers first half display was abject as Play-Off hopefuls Ipswich Town laid siege on Alex Smithies’ goal. It could have been worse than the 2-0 score line at the interval with Smithies and Anthony Gerrard making vital blocks.

Town’s only shot on target came late in the second half when Oscar Gobern forced Dean Gerken into a smart save with his legs. Sean Scannell and Danny Ward both tried for Mark Robins’ men, but in truth they didn’t deserve anything from the evening.

Town had struggled to beat Ipswich in three meetings since regaining their Championship status and this clash got off to the worst possible start.

The Tractor Boys had already given Town two warning shots when Paul Anderson forced Alex Smithies into a low save and then Jonny Williams did the same from 18 yards.

However, in the sixth minute Paul Anderson’s superb curling effort from all of 25 yards proved too good for Smithies, which nestled into the far corner of his goal.

Mark Robins’ men had a brief sniff of Dean Gerken’s goal in the twelfth minute, but Nahki Wells failed to keep his effort down after good work from Oliver Norwood down the right.

Back came Ipswich though, with Williams firing over before Anthony Gerrard produced a fantastic block to deny Luke Chambers’ goalbound volley.

And it got worse for Town on the hour mark when, after Smithies had moments earlier denied Anderson, he could do nothing to prevent Daryl Murphy’s low effort after Town had failed to clear a corner.

Ipswich ended the half on top with the impressive Williams forcing Smithies into a comfortable save.

Town, with Sean Scannell now on the pitch in place of Adam Hammill, started the second half better, but they still lacked product in the final third.

The introduction of Duane Holmes on the hour lifted the Town faithful and the diminutive attacker did add sharpness in the final third, but with 20 minutes of the half played Gerken had not been tested in the Ipswich goal.

Ipswich’s play was mainly on the counter attack with 20 minutes to play and they almost added a third when goalscorer Anderson connected smartly with a cut back, but Smithies was equal to it at his near post.

At the other end, Oscar Gobern played a slick one two with Holmes before forcing Gerken into a fine save with his legs. The rebound shot up at Wells who failed to direct his header on target.

Scannell also tried with five minutes to, but his volley didn’t trouble Gerken.

Town’s team (3-5-2):

Alex Smithies; Joel Lynch, Anthony Gerrard, Tommy Smith; Paul Dixon, Oscar Gobern, Adam Clayton, Oliver Norwood (Duane Holmes, 57), Adam Hammill (Sean Scannell, 46); Danny Ward (Harry Bunn, 76), Nahki Wells

Unused substitutes:

Ian Bennett, Peter Clarke, Calum Woods, Jonathan Hogg

Bookings Town: Oscar Gobern 86
Bookings Ipswich: Stephen Hunt 68

Gate: 11,857
Away: 560

Advertisement block