Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


16 September 2013

Striker raring to go after Doncaster performance

Town striker Jon Stead picked up the Man of the Match award following his substitute performance against Doncaster and is raring to go if called upon by Mark Robins.

The Academy graduate caused the Rovers defence plenty of problems in the second half and set up what could have been the match winning goal when he supplied Jonathan Hogg in the box.

Sadly, the midfielder put his shot the wrong side of the post meaning that Town go into Tuesday’s game without a win in their last two.

“I was pleased to be involved, but on the whole the team performance was a little disappointing,” said Stead. “It was a frustrating game, but a draw was maybe a good result considering the performance.

“I am always pleased to be playing and if I am doing well and making a contribution then I am doing my job and I will be happy. I was pleased with how Saturday went personally, but it would have meant the world if we could have got the three points. Hopefully the more minutes I get, the better I will get.

“The goals haven’t come yet, but I did OK and set a few chances up; if one of them had gone in I would have been just as happy,” the striker continued. “The chances will come, as I get more game time; I just need to keep taking the opportunities when the Manager gives me them.”

Looking ahead to Tuesday night’s game, the striker didn’t know if we was going to be handed a starting role: “The Manager is keeping his cards close to his chest and I will have to wait and see; hopefully I have done enough to be given a chance. If not, we have got five or six games in about 20 days and I am sure everyone will get their opportunity.”

Despite drawing at the weekend Town did maintain their unbeaten record on home soil.

“It is important that we keep it up,” said Jon. “We are making it difficult for teams to come and play in Huddersfield and we need to keep up that momentum. We are unbeaten at home and Tuesday evening is another opportunity to continue that trend and hopefully pick up the three points.”

Charlton’s last visit to the John Smith’s Stadium in late August helped kick start their season despite them going home defeated.

“It was a difficult game and we only just ended up creeping away with the victory,” said the 30 year-old. “We know how tough a test it will be and we will have to make sure we don’t commit any silly mistakes which cost us a few goals against them last month.” 

Tuesday's game is a PROMO game meaning that adults and seniors pay £10 and concessions £5 in all areas!

Advertisement block