Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


30 March 2013


Boyd effort secures Hull three points

George Boyd lit up a poor evening of football in Huddersfield as the Terriers fell to back to back home defeats.

The on loan Peterborough attacker made no mistake from 18 yards within a minute of the second half restart to earn his side a vital three points.

Town never really forced Hull ‘keeper David Stockdale into a meaningful save with the home side’s only chance being a half one from the head of Neil Danns.

Positive results for three of Town’s relegation rivals in the afternoon meant that the Terriers went into the match just three points above the drop zone.

Jermaine Beckford returned from international fitness with a broken hand, but was deemed fit enough to start against high flying Hull as Mark Robins made just one change for the clash.

Like Town, there was plenty of incentive for Hull to pick up the three points after both Crystal Palace and Watford dropped points and they started the better of the two teams. 

Lone striker Jay Simpson had the first chance of the game after good work from David Meyler presented the former Arsenal man with a chance on the half volley, which flew into the hands of Alex Smithies.

Town, who went into the game on the back of a memorable victory in the West Yorkshire derby, were slow in getting going and had Hull wingback Ahmed Elmohamady to thank for their first chance. The Egyptian presented the ball to Neil Danns in the middle of the park who fired an effort just wide of David Stockdale’s upright.

The diminutive Oliver Norwood did well to dispossess Meyler twenty minutes into the game and create a chance for the Leeds match winner James Vaughan, who curled a tame effort at Stockdale.

Intricate play was at premium for both teams, but it was the visitors who were working the ball the best. Robert Koren’s first act of the half almost created the opening goal when he stole a march on Jack Hunt. The attacking midfielder hit a low ball across the box towards the unmarked Simpson, but saw his effort cleared superbly by Anthony Gerrard.

Danns’ tame volley on the stroke of half time summed up the half, in which neither team threatened in front of goal.

The Director’s had barely returned to their seats by the time that George Boyd had smashed the visitor’s into the lead. 46 seconds had lapsed when Simpson curled a ball into the path of Boyd who made no mistake from the edge of the area to score his second goal against Town of the season.

Although it wasn’t what Town wanted, the goal was what the game needed and after the Terriers had composed themselves they created back to back chances on the hour mark.

Firstly, Danns headed straight at Stockdale from Hunt’s delivery before Vaughan attempted a trademark overhead kick, which landed the wrong side of the Hull ‘keeper’s upright.

Hull looked comfortable despite the Terriers’ pressure and went close to doubling their lead when Meyler again worked hard to create an opening for goalscorer Boyd, who fired straight at Smithies from 12 yards out.

A wild free-kick from Danny Ward and a poor effort from Gobern were as much as Town could muster during the final stages as Town fell to back to back home defeats.
Town’s team (4-2-3-1):

Alex Smithies; Paul Dixon, Anthony Gerrard, Peter Clarke (c), Jack Hunt; Oscar Gobern, Oliver Norwood (Danny Ward, 59); Neil Danns, Adam Clayton (Sean Scannell, 71), James Vaughan; Jermaine Beckford (Theo Robinson, 88)

Unused substitutes:

Ian Bennett, Calum Woods, Lee Novak, Murray Wallace, Theo Robinson

Bookings Town: Neil Danns 46, Adam Clayton 64, Oscar Gobern 78, James Vaughan 86

Bookings Hull: Ahmed Elmohamady 38, David Meyler 41, Corry Evans 86, Jack Hobbs 88,

Advertisement block