Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


16 August 2013

Wilczynski the hero in entertaining opener

Town ‘keeper Ed Wilczynski proved to be the hero on the opening day of the Professional Development League 2 season with a superb penalty save to help earn his side a draw.

Town’s young stopper, pictured above, was on after a harsh red card had seen Lloyd Allinson dismissed following his foul, which resulted in a penalty being awarded.

Prior to the red card, the Terriers had dominated the running and missed numerous chances to go ahead and even with ten men Town had the best chance of the game when Daniel Carr hit wide when well positioned.

A point was well-earned ahead of Bank Holiday Monday’s derby with Leeds United.

Town – wearing the yellow third kit – started well at Forest’s Wilford Lane Training Ground, but central defender Murray Wallace had to be at his defensive best in the 5th minute to prevent the home side entering his 18 yard box.

First year professional Duane Holmes was featuring for Steve Eyre’s side and he displayed all the skills that earned him his first contract in the 9th minute when he skipped past two defenders before firing straight at Forest’s stopper.

Eyre’s men had the better of the first-half openings and should have gone in at the interval ahead. Jimmy Spencer spurned the first chance from 12 yards on the volley after Daniel Carr had done well to get in behind Forest’s defence.

Max Leonard was the second culprit; he failed to slot home from 12 yards after the Terriers had done superbly to force Forest into a poor back pass.

Town ‘keeper Lloyd Allinson wasn’t troubled during the 45 with the majority of his work coming through collecting the ball from Forest’s wayward efforts on goal.

A similar theme continued at the start of the second half with Holmes and Leonard both going close before Spencer stung the palms of the Forest stopper.

All their hard work was almost undone in the 54th minute, though, when against the run of play, Allinson brought down Forest’s number 10 and was shown an extremely harsh red card. However, Wilczynski entered the fray between the sticks and produced a superb save to palm the penalty around the corner.

Despite their man disadvantage, the Terriers continued to carry the attacking momentum and passed up another opening when Spencer headed Carr in, but he failed to find the target from 12 yards.

At the other end, Town did at times look over-run, but when Forest worked an opening, Wilczynski was on hand to keep them out. No more so than in the 59th minute, when he produced a fine double save to keep the scores level. 

Leonard and Spencer both went close as Town continued to enjoy the better of the chances, but in the end both sides drew a blank.

Town’s team (4-4-2):
Lloyd Allinson; Liam Ridehalgh, Murray Wallace, James Burke (Ed Wilczynski, 54), Tommy Smith; Dale Hopson, Matt Crooks (c), Max Leonard, Duane Holmes; Jimmy Spencer (Fraser Horsfall, 90+2), Daniel Carr (Paul Mullin, 87)

Unused substitute:
Nat Pells

Town red card
Lloyd Allinson, 54

Advertisement block