Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


25 September 2012

Alan Lee nets twice in high tempo friendly

Several of Town’s senior professionals got a much-needed 90 minutes under their belts in a high-tempo behind closed doors friendly at Premier League club Stoke City this afternoon.

The Terriers – led by Senior Professional Development Coach Steve Eyre – fought back from 2-0 down against a very strong Stoke line-up to draw the game, with striker Alan Lee notching two headers.

Whereas Lee was joined in the Town line-up by the likes of Ian Bennett, Calum Woods, Sean Scannell, Scott Arfield and others, the Potters team included Matthew Upson, Thomas Sorensen, Jermaine Pennant, Wilson Palacios, Rory Delap, Dean Whitehead, Mamady Sidibe, Maurice Edu and Ryan Shotton - along with former Town loanee Diego Arismendi. 

The hosts bossed the opening half an hour and soon went two up, with former Arsenal and Liverpool man Pennant converting a free-kick before midfielder Whitehead rounded Bennett to slot the ball home. 

That sparked the Terriers into life and they responded in impressive fashion. Former Irish international Lee went close with a close range header that was cleared off the line in the 35th minute but was not to be denied – putting Town back in the contest five minutes later after good work from strike partner Jimmy Spencer. 

Town were in the ascendancy and carried that momentum through to the second-half, probably deserving to win on the balance of play and chances created. However, they had to be content with the draw – sealed when Lee headed home a tremendous cross from the right from Jordan Sinnott. 

However, the result was secondary to the minutes on the pitch for the players – as Eyre told

“The most vital thing today for both sets of players was the minutes on the pitch. You could see everyone was keen to keep up their fitness and form, as everyone wanted to get on the ball. 

“The weather made it a fast tempo game and the Stoke City ground staff deserves massive credit for getting the game on after 48 hours of torrential rain; they worked very hard.

“Both sets of players - along with the officials - also deserve credit, as everyone put so much effort in our there. 

“The tempo of the game never slowed and it caught us a bit cold in the opening 30 minutes, but we grew into the match after their second goal.” 

Town’s team (4-4-2):
Ian Bennett (Lloyd Allinson 65); Calum Woods, Murray Wallace, Tom Clarke, Jordan Sinnott; Sean Scannell, Scott Kay, Anton Robinson, Scott Arfield; Alan Lee, Jimmy Spencer

Get your ticket for Saturday's home clash with Watford online and print it at home - click HERE!

Advertisement block