Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


9 October 2012

Terriers make it three unbeaten

Steve Eyre’s Development squad recorded its first clean sheet of the season with a goalless draw against rivals Leeds United.

First team players Sean Scannell, Alan Lee, Jimmy Spencer, Murray Wallace and Tom Clarke were all at Steve Eyre’s disposal as his Development team looked to make it three wins on the spin.

Winger Scannell was the stand out player in the first 45 for Town with the former Crystal Palace man causing the Leeds defence a number of problems with his pace and trickery.

After a quiet opening Scannell’s electric pace saw him fly past two Leeds defenders before he cut back on to his left foot and forced former Town ‘keeper Paul Rachubka into a fine save with a powerful strike. 

Rachubka couldn’t do anything about Town’s next effort, but thankfully for him Jimmy Spencer’s header from Jordan Sinnott’s cross rebounded off the crossbar.

With 11 minutes played Rachubka produced another good save to prevent Matt Crooks opening the scoring with a thunderous drive before the ‘keeper had a much easier task of collecting Sinnott’s curling shot in the 17th minute.

Leeds’ striker Joan Pons had the visitor’s first effort when he glided into Town’s box far too easily before firing straight at Tom Clarke.

Following a bright opening 20 minutes, chances were at a premium up until the 35th minute when Murray Wallace should have done better with a header from 10 yards. Town went on to end the half well with Spencer drawing another save from Leeds’ stopper with a well-directed effort.

The second 45 mirrored the first with neither side dominating proceedings. Scannell was again Town’s biggest threat going forward; striking wide within 30 seconds of the restart.

Patrick Antelmi and Dominic Poleon replied for the visitors but neither forced Allinson into a save of note. Poleon, who had scored recently for Leeds’ first team against Nottingham Forest, was seeing a lot of the ball out on the right and tested Allinson 10 minutes in to the half with a low effort after cutting inside.

With an hour played Spencer crashed his second effort of the game against the bar after good play from Sinnott. 

Neil Redfearn’s Leeds team enjoyed a decent spell in the game as the final whistle approached with Poleon again shooting straight at Allinson before Lewis Turner dragged wide after a misplaced Sinnott pass.

The last chance of the game fell to the visitors after Town had failed to clear the ball, Poleon smashed over from a narrow angle. 

Town’s team:

Lloyd Allinson; Robbie McIntyre, Murray Wallace, Tom Clarke, Tom Smith; Sean Scannell, Jordan Sinnott (c), Matt Crooks, Dale Hopson; Jimmy Spencer, Alan Lee (Godwin Abadaki, 71)

Unused substitutes:

Ed Wilczynski, Connor Loftus, James Burke, Max Leonard

Advertisement block