Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


20 October 2012

Wilkinson header gets all three points for youngsters

A second goal of the season from first year centre back Joe Wilkinson was enough to extend Town’s unbeaten home record at Canalside Sports Complex on Saturday against visitors Barnsley.

The South Yorkshire visitors arrived at Town’s training ground on the back of a five match winning streak, but the young Terriers were well worth the three points after an impressive display.

The game kicked off with both sides wearing Huddersfield Town kit after Barnsley had a mix-up with their shirts – they sported Town’s navy away strip during the first half!

The Tykes had the first shot on target inside six minutes, but the Terriers soon took control of the game – with Paul Mullin volleying wide just three minutes later after a superb bit of chest control.

Midfielder Kedesh Goddard shot just wide in the 20th minute as the chances continued to come thick and fast for the hosts before striker Mullin fired just wide on the half hour mark, but the goal soon followed for Frankie Bunn and Tony Carss’ side.

A corner gave the Terriers the breakthrough in the 37th minute, with midfielder George Conway’s great delivery finding the head of centre back Wilkinson – who made no mistake in converting. 

Town’s impressive performance continued during the second half but they couldn’t put the game to bed with a second – Duane Holmes coming closest with a sweet left foot volley that the Barnsley ‘keeper saved well.

Tempers flared at the full time whistle and the Tykes had three players shown red cards after the game, but the Town players kept calm and were not shown any cards – much to their credit. 

Town’s team (4-3-3):
Ed Wilczynski; Michael Starkey, William Boyle, Joe Wilkinson, Tom Briggs; Duane Holmes (c), Kedesh Goddard, Ben Holmes (Trialist A 34 (Ryan Cox 89)); George Conway, Paul Mullin, Danny Morton

Unused subs: Sam Guthrie, Trialist B, Fraser Horsfall

Advertisement block