Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


22 August 2012

Town’s Development side fall to defeat

Huddersfield Town’s Development squad started their season with a defeat as they went down 2-0 to Crewe at Canalside Sports Complex.

Steve Eyre included a number of senior professionals and trialists in his side as they looked to start the under-21 season in a positive manner.

The visitors started well and took advantage of Town’s poor play at the back to force two openings within the first five minutes when Harry Clayton lobbed over and then Michael Roberts forced Lloyd Allinson to palm away a powerful shot.

Town struggled to keep possession of the ball during the opening exchanges but when they did Chris Atkinson rose to the fore and it was his driving run midway through the first half that released Matt Crooks, but he could only fire high and wide over the Crewe goal.

As the half drew to a close Jordan Sinnott, trialist Dale Hopson and Kallum Higginbotham all attempted long range efforts with none of the trio having any joy. The best chance of the half for Town fell to defender Murray Wallace but he failed to direct his header on target from Kallum Higginbotham’s corner.

Town’s two other trialists (Robbie McIntyre and Tommy Smith) filled the full-back berths and it was the former Rangers youth team player McIntyre who had the first effort of the second half after cutting in from the left.

The Terriers bossed the opening 15 minutes of the second 45 and looked to have what appeared to be a stone wall penalty appeal turned down when Max Leonard was fouled at the back stick. Last year’s under-18s top scorer had earlier tested Ben Garrett with an effort from 18 yards.

Crewe were looking handy on the counter attack and after Town’s midfield had dropped off Billy Waters the Crewe midfielder took full advantage smashing the ball home from 25 yards past a diving Allinson.

Eyre’s men had chances to draw themselves level when Crooks spurned a chance at the back stick and then substitute Connor Loftus accidentally found himself in the away of trialist’s Dale Hopson’s goal-bound effort. 

The visitors put the game out of sight with six minutes remaining when Harry Clayton prodded home at the far post after Town had failed to clear their lines from a corner.

Town’s team (4-3-1-2):

Lloyd Allinson; Robbie McIntyre (trialist), Anthony Gerrard, Murray Wallace, Tommy Smith (trialist); Chris Atkinson, Dale Hopson (trialist), Jordan Sinnott; Kallum Higginbotham; Matt Crooks, Max Leonard


Nick Colgan, Joe Wright, Kedesh Goddard, George Conway, Connor Loftus

Advertisement block