Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 12:00 (UK)

06 March 2021 Venue Attendance

Kick off 12:00 (UK)

AFC Fylde
4 - 0
Huddersfield Town
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports


6 March 2021

Town’s U19s beaten by strong AFC Fylde side

- Huddersfield Town U19s given tough test against AFC Fylde
- Young Terriers beaten 4-0 at Poolfort Farm
- Young Terriers back in action on Wednesday 10 March 2021

Huddersfield Town’s Under-19s were beaten 4-0 by National League North side AFC Fylde in a competitive affair at Mill Farm.

Following a goalless opening 45 minutes, in which Town equipped themselves well against a side who were flying high in their respective league prior to the cancellation of their season, the Young Terriers were undone by four second half goals from Sam Osborne, Kurt Willoughby (x2) and Owen Robinson.

It was a high intensity start to proceedings as both sides attempted to impose their style of play on proceedings.

Town created the first opening of the half through an incisive piece of play down the right. Brahima Diarra slipped a perfectly weighted through ball for Pat Jones in behind the full-back, whose low ball across the face of goal caused mayhem for the Fylde defence and after some pin ball in the area, it was eventually cleared.

The home side then fashioned an opening of their own on 15 minutes as the Young Terriers failed to deal with a set-piece routine. A corner aimed towards the back-post found the unmarked Alex Whitmore, who saw his half-volley from inside the six-yard box brilliantly tipped onto the post by Giosue Bellagambi.

Jon Worthington’s side posed the greater threat from open-play in the first half and forced goalkeeper Chris Neal into an instinctive save when Welsh winger Jones fired an effort through a sea of bodies that looked destined for the bottom corner.

Bellagambi was again called into action on the half-hour mark as Nick Haughton whipped a powerful free-kick towards the top corner that Town’s ‘keeper did well to turn onto the post and away from danger.

After the two sides entered the break all square, Fylde began the second period the brighter of the two sides and controversially broke the deadlock on 52 minutes. Bellagambi had initially made an excellent save, but Osborne was on hand to tap in the rebound and, despite the offside flag from the linesman, the goal was given.

The National League North side then doubled their advantage just moments later with Bellagambi left hapless in the Young Terriers’ net as Willoughby curled a superb effort into the top corner.

Fylde took a real stranglehold of proceedings following their two quick-fire goals and Willoughby was proving a thorn in the Town side as he worked a yard of space inside the area and struck a powerful effort against the base of the post.

Town refused to let their heads drop despite the score line and twice tested Neal from range in quick succession. First, the lively Diarra breezed his way past two defenders and saw an effort turned over the crossbar, before Sorba Thomas was then also denied from the second phase of the resulting corner.

But ultimately it was the hosts who put the game beyond the Young Terriers in the closing stages of the game as Willoughby netted his second of the day with a powerful free-kick from the edge of the area.

Fylde then compounded a tough second half for Worthy’s youngsters as Robinson converted from 12 yards with the final kick of the game.

Huddersfield Town Under-19s (4-3-3)

Giosue Bellagambi; Jaheim Headley, Luke Daley, Loick Ayina, Brahima Diarra; Josh Austerfield (c), Etienne Camara (Ilounga Pata, 63’), Matty Daly; Sorba Thomas, Kit Elliott, Pat Jones (Sam Peplow, 63’)

Unused Subs

Nicholas Bilokapic, Nassim Kherbouche, Will McCamley

Final Score

AFC Fylde 4-0 Huddersfield Town’s Under-19s

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account