Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 12:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
11 February 2018 Venue John Smith's Stadium Attendance

Kick off 12:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


Premier League

Advertisement block

Advertisement block


Commentary to begin soon

There are currently no key moments to display.

Are you sure you want to delete this event?

Delete Cancel

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports


11 February 2018

Sponsored by

Town emphatically got back on the winning trail by hitting four past AFC Bournemouth in-front of the BT Sport cameras.

Both sides found the net inside 15 first-half minutes with Junior Stanislas cancelling out Alex Pritchard's opener, but there was to be no stopping the rampant Terriers as Steve Mounié's brace and Rajiv van La Parra's late penalty wrapping up a vital three points.

Looking to avenge a 4-0 humbling on the South coast in November, the starting XI included goal-scorer Pritchard, just his second Huddersfield Town appearance from the off in the Premier League, as well as a welcome return for Christopher Schindler, who missed the midweek Cup victory at Birmingham with an ankle injury.

Eddie Howe's Cherries set-up with an attacking sense; Ibe and Stanislas providing width and pace alongside Callum Wilson- the man to net a hat-trick in the reverse fixture- coupled with Ryan Fraser and Charlie Daniels in the wing-back positions. Indeed it was the visitors who came up with a succession of early corners in a bid to catch the Terriers cold, but a combination of Zanka and the reinstated Schindler efficiently cleared their lines.

But instead of the away side rewarding their long Sunday morning trip with an early opener, the sleepy nature of a high noon start was soon eradicated as Alex Pritchard more than raised the roof to give the Blue and Whites a 1-0 lead inside 7 minutes.

Steve Mounié used excellent nouse to latch onto a pass into the left channel, and with a great deal of persistence, the Benin striker breezed past his marker Simon Francis before coolly finding Pritchard. The attacking midfielder timed his run into the area to perfection, and expertly slotted home underneath Begovic to score a first Club goal; Stevé Mounié grabbing his first assist in the process.

Town supporters were as ever vociferous, and Pritchard's strike did little to dampen spirits.

Despite a raucous atmosphere, it wouldn't take long for the in-form side to level. Junior Stanislas placed home at the far-post with composure as Florent Hadergjonaj couldn't manage to adjust and deal with Ryan Fraser's deep centre.

15 minutes in, both sides back where they started after a frantic start. Town looked to take a larger grip on the game; usages of possession were neat, but the Black-clad Cherries kept a relatively structured organisation.

Scott Malone joined the HD1 faithful in shouts for a penalty against the recovering Francis, with the left-back appealing to referee Michael Oliver for a case of handball- unsuccessfully nonetheless.

A man that appeared to have reignited the spark of ingenuity was Aaron Mooy. The Australian orchestrated Town's offence time after time, and it was the midfielder's cross to the far-post that created the next big chance.

That cross picked out an unmarked Zanka, but the Dane's cushioned header was comfortably gathered by Begovic.

Although Zanka couldn't find the net with a header, Steve Mounié certainly could.

Steve leapt highest and planted a powerful downward header into the corner from a wicked Aaron Mooy free-kick delivery- a third in four games for a player who's work rate over recent weeks has finally reaped the rewards.

A cold February afternoon certainly wasn't deterring the action, as the encounter kept the heart rates fluctuating with pulsating end-to-end proceedings. Bournemouth came narrowly close to yet another equaliser, with central defender Steve Cook flicking a delicate effort off the base of the post from Charlie Daniels in-swinging corner.

As the interval beckoned, the Terriers had to be alert on the defensive end after rounding off the half probing for a killer third goal. Both Scott Malone and Alex Pritchard provided timely interventions on Stanislas and Cook respectively in order to relieve late pressure.

Themes of Blue and White desire rolled on as the second-half commenced. Alex Pritchard's surging run through the spine of the Dorset visitors culminated in the playmaker doing all the hard work to work his way into space, with the end product lacking just that bit of accuracy required.

Bournemouth are a side reknowned for electric counters. That reputation came to the fore as Aaron Mooy was uncharacteristically robbed of possession inside his own half, which led to Callum Wilson sprinting clear only to find his resulting cross fail to reach any of the arriving Cherries. Zanka would have a split-second of worry as his clearance inadvertently deflected towards the Terriers net; luckily Jonas Lössl pounced with urgency to avoid a surprise leveller.

The West Yorkshire weather couldn't make up its mind; snow, hail, sunshine and rain aplenty, with the on-field action going great lengths to keep the shift of pressure swinging.

Jordon Ibe used quick feet to advance down his native left in a bid to catch Florent Hadergjonaj off guard, but Town's Swiss full-back showed tremendous determination and cleverness to position himself adequately to clear a low cross bound for the waiting Callum Wilson.

Zanka's inch-perfect interception to nab in-front of Wilson before a break was the catalyst for arguably the best chance of the second 45.

After receiving Terence Kongolo's pass out wide left, the rejuvenated Mooy took his time and crossed delightfully for Tom Ince, who'd made a barnstorming run to get the better of Daniels at the back stick.

Tom looked to follow up his masterful display at Birmingham in the week by netting against Eddie Howe's team, but the winger's last action of the afternoon before making way for Collin Quaner resulted in a powerful header flying inches over Begovic's crossbar despite winning the aerial duel with relative comfort.
Chances were coming thick and fast, one of which you felt had to be taken; and in due course, that elusive and thoroughly deserved third goal arrived courtesy of Steve Mounié.

Aaron Mooy notched another creative assist by laying back to the patient Mounié in the area, resulting in the record signing despatching home a second of the afternoon to open up a relieving amount of breathing space on the score-line.

It may well have got even better just seconds after the restart, as Alex Pritchard instigated another positive drive forward at the Cherries' defensive block. On this occasion a low right-footed shot took a double deflection, lastly off Steve Mounié, to bring the move to a close; all the while keeping the noise levels at fever pitch.

Another impressive factor in what had been an all-round excellent display was the resilience with which Town kept firm to deny Bournemouth's spell to nudge their way back into the match. The away side had quantities of the ball in and around the edge of the penalty area, but the Blue and White wall denied any space for the lively Wilson and substitute Mousset to ply their trade.

Philip Billing took the place of Aaron Mooy- stretchered off having picked an injury after a supremely industrious performance- and the Danish Under-21 International's eyes well and truly lit up, blazing over Begovic's crossbar from distance after galloping away from Lewis Cook in centre field.

Cook did his best at the other end to give the away side a glimmer of hope going into six minutes of added on time, but Collin Quaner heroically put his body on the line to deny the powerful effort from causing Jonas Lössl any issues.

As a contest, it was as good as over by the time Alex Pritchard won a penalty through a dazzling piece of close control beyond Nathan Ake. Rajiv van La Parra took responsibility to convert and ensure the 'Wave of Winning' returned, as attentions now turn to an FA Cup fifth-round showdown with Manchester United next Saturday (February 17, 5:30pm)

TOWN (4-2-3-1): Jonas Lössl; Scott Malone (Terence Kongolo, 51'), Christopher Schindler, Mathias Zanka, Florent Hadergjonaj; Jonathan Hogg (c), Aaron Mooy (Philip Billing, 76'); Rajiv van La Parra, Alex Pritchard, Tom Ince (Collin Quaner, 65'); Steve Mounié

UNUSED SUBS: Joel Coleman, Abdelhamid Sabiri, Danny Williams, Michael Hefele

AFC BOURNEMOUTH (5-3-2-1): Asmir Begovic; Charlie Daniels, Nathan Aké, Steve Cook (Adam Smith, 70'), Simon Francis (c), Ryan Fraser; Dan Gosling, Lewis Cook; Junior Stanislas (Lys Mousset, 65'), Jordon Ibe (Joshua King, 57'); Callum Wilson

UNUSED SUBS: Artur Boruc, Adam Smith, Jack Simpson, Andrew Surman, Harry Arter

REFEREE: Michael Oliver

ATTENDANCE: 23, 823 (1,208 Bournemouth)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account