Skip to main content


21:47 28th November 2011


Huddersfield Town's record breaking run of unbeaten League games came to an end tonight at the hands of League leaders Charlton Athletic.

Chris Powell's men scored twice in the opening 45 minutes to extend their lead at the top of the npower League 1 table. Former Leicester man Yann Kermorgant opened the scoring for the home side when he placed a well-directed Danny Green free-kick past Ian Bennett. The Addicks doubled their lead minutes before the half-time interval when Hogan Ephraim reacted quickest in the box to curl home Wright-Philips' rebounded effort.

Town battled hard in the second-half and went close twice when Danny Ward struck the crossbar before debutant Jon Parkin forced Hamer into a fine low save, but despite their efforts Lee Clark's men left the Valley empty-handed.

Town's recent loan signing Jon Parkin made his full debut in Lee Clark's only change from the side that defeated Notts County 2-1 last weekend.

Town's team (4-4-2):

Charlton Line Up 320

Elsewhere, the Terriers other loan signing, Alex Bruce, was named on the bench at the expense of Liam Cooper.

Town kicked-off the game shooting towards the home fans, supported by a tremendous number of Terriers who had made the long journey south.

New signing Jon Parkin was in the thick of things from the off. The on loan Cardiff man won a free-kick from Matt Taylor on the half-way line and was the man who Peter Clarke aimed for from the dead ball. Parkin showed his strength to hold off his marker and bring the ball in, but was unable to get away a shot before Taylor cleared the danger.

Incisive play from Scott Arfield in the tenth minute won the Terriers there first corner of the game. Gary Roberts took the set-piece, which was cleared, but fell to Arfield, whose first time volley on the edge of the box was deflected wide. From the resulting corner the Addicks defended well and cleared the danger.

Defensively, the Terriers started well and looked assured, but on occasion were struggling to cope with the aerial threat of former Leicester striker Yann Kermorgant who was feeding his team mates with a lot of well directed headers.

A quick ball from Kermorgant in the 16th minute released his team mate and Addicks top scorer Bradley Wright Philips on his way. The former Manchester City man was faced with Antony Kay and chose to dive on to his weaker left foot and drive an effort straight at Ian Bennett from 12 yards.

Town's first effort on goal quickly followed when Scott Arfield recycled a Gary Roberts corner in the 19th minute and hit a low effort, which was comfortable dealt with by Ben Hamer.

GOAL - The Addicks opened the scoring in the 23rd minute courtesy of a set-piece from Danny Green and a well directed header from Yann Kermorgant. Jack Hunt was adjudged to have fouled Hogan Ephraim by referee East in the lead up to the goal, which allowed Green the opportunity to test Town's back line. Charlton had aimed for Kermorgant throughout the opening twenty minutes and on this occasion it paid dividends, with the big striker neatly heading past a wrong footed Ian Bennett.

The Terriers responded well and were forcing the issue when Tommy Miller latched onto a Jon Parkin knock down in the 31st minute and sliced a half-volley wide of the Charlton goal.

GOAL - Charlton doubled their advantage in the 42nd minute when debutant Hogan Ephraim responded quickest to a rebound and tucked the ball home nicely from 12 yards. Kermorgant was again involved in the build up, his through ball released Wright-Philips who bundled his way past Clarke before being stopped by a good diving tackle from Bennett. Sadly for Bennett and Town, Ephraim reacted quickest to the loose ball and placed the ball calmly past a diving Bennett and Peter Clarke.


SUBS - Lee Clark made two half time changes during the interval. Gary Roberts departed play for Danny Ward and Tommy Miller made way for Anton Robinson. Chris Powell also made one change during the break. Loan signing Darel Russell made way for the former Leeds United midfielder Andy Hughes.

Town narrowly escaped going three behind in the second minute of the second-half. From a Danny Green long throw in, Addicks' danger man Kermorgant was allowed to run free in the box and planted a header onto the face of Ian Bennett's cross bar. Thankfully for Town, the combined efforts of Hunt and Anton Robinson cleared the danger.

A clumsy looking challenge from Antony Kay in the 53rd minute offered the Addicks an excellent chance to test Benno from 20 yards. Goal scorer Kermorgant stood over the ball and curled a well struck effort past the wall, which forced Town's 'keeper to parry the ball away to safety.

BOOKING - Town central midfielder Anton Robinson received the first caution of the game in the 58th minute for a late tackle on Andy Hughes.

Town were pressurising the League leaders as the game ticked past the hour mark and almost opened their account in fortuitous style when Danny Ward collected the ball from Parkin and arrowed in a cross from the left, which wrong footed Hamer and struck his cross bar.

Lee Clark's men were working hard to create openings and had arguably had the better of the second-half, but were struggling to break down a resolute Charlton who were being lead well by centre-back pairing Matt Taylor and Michael Morrison.

The game had fell into a lull slightly as the it drew towards the 75 minute mark, but was brought to life in fantastic fashion when Parkin lost his marker on the edge of the area and hit a Hunt cross on the volley, which Hamer did superbly well to parry on to the post and away to safety. The powerful striker was in the action again minutes later when he neatly controlled a diagonal cross from Woods, but had his path to goal blocked by a timely challenge from left-back Rhoys Wiggins.

SUB - Chris Powell made his second change of the game in the 84th minute replacing goal scorer Hogan Ephraim with Scott Wagstaff.

SUB - Yann Kermorgant was stretched off the field in 90th minute following a collision with Peter Clarke and was replaced by Paul Hayes.


Town's team (4-4-2):

Ian Bennett; Calum Woods, Antony Kay, Peter Clarke (c), Jack Hunt; Gary Roberts (Danny Ward 46), Tommy Miller (Anton Robinson 46), Damien Johnson, Scott Arfield, Jon Parkin, Jordan Rhodes

Unused substitutes:

Nick Colgan, Alex Bruce, Lee Novak

Bookings (Town): Anton Robinson 58

Attendance: 18,029

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.