Skip to main content


16:59 9th April 2012


Town were deservedly beaten by hosts AFC Bournemouth on a rainy Bank Holiday Monday at the Seward Stadium.

After a goalless first half that heralded few chances for either side, the hosts took control in the second 45 and took all three points courtesy of goals from Scott Malone and winger Marc Pugh.

The Terriers had to wait until the final minute for their best chance of the game when substitute Gary Roberts fired a free-kick just wide of the target.

Town, in blue and white striped shirts, white shorts and white socks, were on the back foot in the opening minutes as the Cherries bossed possession. In that period diminutive right winger Wes Fogden showed a tendency to drift infield and he was the first to test a goalkeeper on the afternoon, although his 25 yard drive in the sixth minute was gathered in by Alex Smithies.

Town fought back and good interplay between the new-look strike partnership of Cadamarteri and Rhodes forced the game's first corner a minute later. Unfortunately for the Terriers, home 'keeper Darryl Flahavan punched Danny Ward's delivery to safety.

Ward then tested the goalkeeper properly in the ninth minute. Cadamarteri was awarded a free-kick after being tripped by midfielder Steven Gregory 25 yards out, allowing 'Wardy' to step up and force Flahavan to fist his curling effort away to his right side.

Cherries centre back Steve Cook sent a low drive into the waiting hands of Smithies just after the quarter hour mark following a short period of pressure from the hosts, but in truth the effort was never going to seriously test the former England under-19 'keeper.

Jordan Rhodes blocked 320

Sean Morrison's first long throw of the game in the 19th minute drew a breath of exasperation from the home support as Cadamarteri almost latched onto it at the back post, but upon clearing the ball the home side broke away well. Striker Wes Thomas took the ball down beautifully before picking out strike partner Zavon Hines in the box, but his tame left-footed effort was gathered by Smithies once again.

Thomas got on the end of a corner from dangerous winger Marc Pugh barely a minute later, but his weak header was easy pickings for Town's goalie.

Grayson's men enjoyed a good spell of short passing upon the restart, with Cadamarteri having shot blocked by a defender on the edge of the area after a very patient build-up involving the entire team.

BOOKING - Tom Clarke was shown the first yellow card of the game in the 25th minute for a tackle on Pugh down the Town right, but it looked on first viewing like the defender took the ball cleanly.

Pugh dusted himself down to deliver a fantastic free-kick into the danger area, but striker Thomas headed over with big centre half Miles Addison seemingly better positioned to head home just behind him.

BOOKING - Bournemouth striker Zavon Hines was then booked for a late challenge as Calum Woods cleared his lines just before the half-hour mark.

Cadamarteri was lively in attack, with his athleticism coming to the fore on several occasions, but after finding space down the left upon the restart he checked back onto his favoured right foot and his eventual cross was cleared by the recovering defenders.

Right back Francis' foul on Jordan Rhodes then gave Danny Ward the chance to play another ball into the box - and Rhodes almost capitalised. Ward's free kick fell to Diego Arismendi ahead of the Bournemouth 'keeper and when the ball fell to npower League 1's top scorer, it took a combination of Addison and Pugh to clear the ball to safety.

The ball was soon at the other end, with the pacey Hines nicking the ball off Sean Morrison in the corner before charging towards goal; his powerful drive from a narrow angle was well saved by Smithies, with Woods clearing the rebound out of the area.

Left back Scott Malone fired a very hopeful effort well wide from range with just less than 10 minutes of the half remaining as both sides continued to search for an opening.

Handball was then given against Woods down the Town left and when Malone came across and whipped a cross towards goal, a header from the Town full back drifted just inches wide of the far post with everyone standing and watching on.

Thomas then broke away down the left side as the Cherries continued to push, but Peter Clarke was typically well positioned to clear his low ball across the box to safety.

The half soon ended with few clear chances having been created by either side and the game goalless.


Jordan Rhodes 320

The Cherries launched an immediate attack upon the start of the second half, so Calum Woods had to be alert to head the ball away just as Hines looked to pounce at the back post.

Town fought back, with Danny Ward bustling his way past full back Francis before cutting back onto his right and crossing deep; Malone's clearing header fell to Scott Arfield, but his decent-looking volley was deflected over the bar for a corner.

Ward took the set-piece himself and picked out the back post run of Arismendi, who had lost his marker. The Uruguayan headed the ball down, but his effort hit a defender on the line before being scrambled behind for another corner.

Bournemouth then won their own free kick and once again Pugh delivered a quality ball towards the back post. The delivery managed to evade everyone in the crowded area and looked to be drifting into the back post but Smithies clawed the ball away before reacting to block the follow-up from Hines. Two further desperate blocks denied the Cherries the opener before striker Thomas put a final effort into orbit from almost beneath the crossbar!

Sub - AFC Bournemouth made their first change in the 58th minute, with Shaun MacDonald replacing Gregory in midfield.

Danny Ward had come out of the changing rooms in a determined mood after the interval and a couple of direct dribbles down the left bore fruit. The Terriers started putting crosses in the box for the first sustained period in the game, forcing the Cherries to defend.

One Town corner was cleared as far as Calum Woods just after the hour mark and the left back intelligently played the ball back into the area for Sean Morrison knock down; his header fell to Rhodes, but the usually clinical Scotland international could only trickle a shot harmlessly wide.

SUB - Simon Grayson soon made his first substitution, with Alan Lee replacing Cadamarteri in attack.

SUB - The second change soon followed, with Gary Roberts replacing Ward.

Danny Cads 320

Bournemouth broke on Town again after the restart, with Francis clearing Morrison's long throw into the path of Hines. The speedy Burnley loanee sped past Tom Clarke before crossing to Thomas at the back post, but his knock down was fired wide by midfielder Fogden - who had the goal at his mercy.

BOOKING - Scott Arfield was shown a yellow card by referee Salisbury in the 69th minute after the Scotsman lost the ball to Hines before cynically pulling him down.

Arfield then rolled defensive midfielder Shaun Cooper in the centre of the field before driving at goal, but his attempted through-ball into the path of Rhodes was just cut out by the outstretched leg of Addison.

GOAL - The home side took the lead in the 72nd minute, with left back Scott Malone prodding home after a real scramble in the Town area. The move progressed down the Bournemouth left, with winger Pugh driving infield - only to be denied by a great sliding block from Tom Clarke. However, the Terriers couldn't get it clear and when the ball was lobbed back into the area the Town right back couldn't clear, allowing the defender to convert.

The Cherries almost went two up within moments of kick-off when Morrison got under a header and flicked the ball into the path of Hines, but with Peter Clarke recovering the striker placed his one-on-one shot wide of the target from 15 yards out.

SUB - Simon Grayson made his final throw of the dice in the 79th minute, with Antony Kay replacing Diego Arismendi.

GOAL - MarcPugh effectively put the game to bed in the 83rd minute with a tidy finish. The winger drifted in off the left wing to latch onto a slide rule pass from Shaun MacDonald, taking a touch before slipping the ball past Smithies - despite the best efforts of Tom Clarke to get back on the line and clear.

SUB - Shaun Cooper was immediately replaced by Joe Partington in the host's second substitution.

SUB - Bournemouth's final change came in the 86th minute, with striker Lyle Taylor replacing Zavon Hines.

Town's best chance of the game came through a free kick right on the edge of the box after Gary Roberts was felled by Fogden. The substitute stepped up himself to curl the ball towards the target, but with the goalie beaten the ball flashed inches wide of the far post.


Town's team vs. AFC Bournemouth (4-4-2):

Alex Smithies; Calum Woods, Peter Clarke (c), Sean Morrison, Tom Clarke; Danny Ward (Gary Roberts 64), Anton Robinson, Diego Arismendi (Antony Kay 79), Scott Arfield; Danny Cadamarteri (Alan Lee 63), Jordan Rhodes

Unused subs:

Ian Bennett, Joey Gudjonsson

Town bookings: Tom Clarke (25); Scott Arfield (69)

AFC Bournemouth booking: Zavon Hines (30)

Attendance: 5,500

Away: 512


    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.