Skip to main content


19:51 21st January 2012


Town moved into the automatic promotion places of npower League 1 this evening after coming from two goals behind to seal the victory.

The Terriers were made to work for the three points and were two goals down inside 35 minutes courtesy of a brace from Gary Alexander.

Alan Lee started the comeback, in somewhat fortuitous circumstances; before Jamie McCombe sent a superb header past Richard Lee to make sure the teams went in level at half-time. Lee Clark's men started the second-half superbly and were ahead inside five minutes when Jordan Rhodes fired his 28th goal of the season.

Both teams had chances during the remaining 40 minutes, but the Terriers held on to secure a vital three points.

Lee Clark was forced into one change from the side that beat Oldham by one goal last weekend. Striker Lee Novak picked up an ankle injury in training on Friday and was deemed unfit following a fitness test; thus opening the door for last weekend's match winner Alan Lee.

Lee's introduction to the starting eleven saw Jon Parkin take a place on the bench.

The visitors, wearing yellow and black stripes, started the game well and had the first strike on goal in the third minute when Sam Saunders took advantage of Oscar Gobern's poor clearance and curled a shot, which was deflected clear by Peter Clarke.

Clarke and defensive partner Jamie McCombe had to be alert in the sixth minute to block firstly Marcus Bean from the edge of the area and then Niall McGinn's follow up. Town at this point in the game had struggled to get going.

Rosler's men had started the game positively. Loanee Jake Bidwell began the game well from left-back and was linking up nicely with Sam Saunders and Gary Alexander. Despite their superior possession and territory the first twenty minutes of the game passed without Ian Bennett having to make a save.

BOOKING - Jamie McCombe was shown the first yellow card of the game in the 21st minute for complaining after seeing referee Webster point to the spot.

GOAL - Brentford deservedly opened proceedings when Gary Alexander confidently slotted home from the penalty spot. The Bees had bossed the opening twenty minutes of the game and when Toumani Diagouraga played in his midfield partner Marcus Bean, Peter Clarke was adjudged to have brought him down illegally. The former Millwall man shoulder the responsibility and sent Bennett the wrong way from the spot.

Alexander's opener failed to ignite Town and they almost fell two behind when Douglas linked up nicely with Alexander who fired a left footed effort straight at 'Benno'.


GOAL - Brentford continued to pile on the misery for Town with Gary Alexander grabbing his second of the night in the 29th minute. Rosler's five man midfielder were knocking the ball comfortably around Town and opened them up down the left when Niall McGinn walked past Gary Naysmith before crossing for the unmarked Gary Alexander to volley home.

It was almost three two minutes later; former Leeds United man Jonathan Douglas lofted a ball over the top for the onrushing Marcus Bean who tamely hit a shot straight at Bennett when one on one.

Town had their first effort on goal in the 38th minute when Peter Clarke headed Gary Roberts' free-kick just wide of Richard Lee's goal.


GOAL - Alan Lee gave Town a way back into the game under somewhat fortuitous circumstances with three minutes remaining of the first half. Prior to the goal, Gary Roberts had rattled Lee's crossbar with a superb volley, but from the resulting corner Town opened their account. Clarke rose above Legge to win the initial cross and with the ball looping up in the air; Lee used his strength to nod home his 100th League goal of his career.

BOOKING - Bees' left-back Jake Bidwell received his side's first caution of the game for dissent.

BOOKING - Douglas quickly followed Bidwell into the book for a crunching tackle on Jack Hunt.

GOAL - From the resulting free-kick Danny Ward found the head of Jamie McCombe who glanced in his first goal in 35 appearances for the Terriers. On his weaker right foot, the former Bolton man swung in a ball to the front post where 'Boom Boom' held off his marker to expertly glance a header over Richard Lee.


In complete contrast to the first-half the Terriers started the second-half superbly and were within inches away of taking the lead when Roberts played a neat one two with Rhodes before audaciously chipping a shot onto the bar.

GOAL - The Terriers didn't have to wait long for another chance to take the lead and in the 50th minute Jordan Rhodes scored it. Danny Ward grabbed his second assist of the night in the process, but some of the credit has to go to Lee who sucked in Leon Legge, allowing Rhodes a run at Marcel Egar. The Scottish international, who had a quite first-half, stepped the German with ease before sliding a ball down the left-hand side of Lee and into the back of the net.

SUB - Uwe Rosler made his first change of the game in the 58th minute, replacing Niall McGinn with striker Clayton Donaldson. The switch saw Brentford line-up 4-4-2 with Marcus Bean on the right wing and Sam Saunders on the left.

SUB - In the 65th minute Myles Weston replaced Marcus Bean.

Brentford had their first effort on goal in the 66th minute when Clayton Donaldson took a shot, but hit it wildly wide of Bennett's left upright.


SUB - Lee Clark made his first change of the evening replacing Gary Roberts with Danny Cadamarteri.

Bees substitute Myles Weston almost had an immediate impact on the game. The left-winger cut inside from the right flank and ran at the heart of Town's defence, evading the attentions of Oscar Gobern, before shooting just wide.

SUB - Town made their third change of the game with twenty minutes remaining. Alan Lee left the field to great applause to be replaced by Anton Robinson.

Town almost gifted the visitors an equaliser with 15 minutes remaining, but Myles Weston was unable to capitalise. Clark's men had defended the first phase of the Bees' move well, but when Tommy Miller received the ball he uncharacteristically gave it to Weston who curled wide from the edge of the box.

Miller almost redeemed himself in the 79th minute when he arrowed a half-volley just wide from the edge of the area following good work from Cadamarteri.

SUB - Tom Clarke was introduced as Clark's final change of the game in the 83rd minute - he replaced Danny Ward. The substitution saw Cadamarteri move to left-wing, Clarke right-back and Hunt right-midfield.

SUB - Rosler's final change of the game saw Harry Forrester replace left-winger Sam Saunders.


Town's team (4-4-2):

Ian Bennett; Gary Naysmith, Peter Clarke, Jamie McCombe, Jack Hunt; Gary Roberts (Danny Cadamarteri 67), Oscar Gobern, Tommy Miller, Danny Ward; Alan Lee (Anton Robinson 72), Jordan Rhodes

Unused substitutes:

Nick Colgan, Tom Clarke, Jon Parkin

Bookings Town: Jamie McCombe 21,

Bookings Bees: Jake Bidwell 44,

Gate: 14,405

Away: 111

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.