Skip to main content


17:05 14th January 2012


Town recorded their first home victory of 2012 with a late strike from substitute Alan Lee.

The Terriers had the better of the chances throughout the game, but were thwarted by Oldham's 'keeper Cisak on a number of occasions. Oldham had some chances of their own, but never really tested Ian Bennett.

It looked like the game was heading for another draw between the sides before Alan Lee showed persistence to finish at the second attempt in the 86th minute.

Lee Clark unsurprisingly named the same 16 that emphatically beat Wycombe 6-0 at Adams Park last time out.

Ian Bennett made his 50th League start for the Terriers and was protected by a centre-half pairing of Peter Clarke and Jamie McCombe, with the latter having shrugged off a back niggle picked up in training.

A noisy atmosphere met the players as they entered the field, helped in some part to the 2,000 Oldham fans that had made the short journey over the Pennines.

Town started the game confidently and had the first shot of the match in the third minute when Danny Ward hit a well struck effort from twenty yards straight at Alex Cisak. Oldham did have one foray on goal inside the first five minutes, but Jamie McCombe saw to the danger with a well-timed block.

Ward was looking Town's biggest threat during the opening 15 minutes of the game, forcing Cisak into two saves within a minute. His first came after side stepping Zander Diamond and his second saw Cisak dive low to push his effort around the post. From the resulting corner Oldham defended their lines well.

SUB - Lee Clark was forced into an early change when Oscar Gobern left the field with what looked like concussion to be replaced by Anton Robinson.

A lull in the game was broken when Shefki Kuqi picked up the ball thirty yards out and delighted the home fans with a half volley high into the Fantastic Media Stand. Prior to that Town had played some decent football without producing a final product.

BOOKING - The first booking of the game went to Anton Robinson following a full blooded tackle on Josh Parker in the centre of the park.

After Ward's three efforts inside the first 15 minutes the home fans had to wait until the 42nd minute for the Terriers next attempt on goal. The assist was provided by Jack Hunt who swung a deep ball to the back stick, which Jordan Rhodes headed inches wide of Cisak's goal - the closest either side had come to breaking the deadlock.


Town started the second-half well and won a free-kick in a dangerous position down the left-wing when Anton Robinson was wrestled off the ball by Josh Parker. Roberts delivered a superb out swinging ball into the danger area, which Peter Clarke looked odds on to convert, but was prevented from doing so courtesy of a brilliant tackle from Diamond.

Oldham were neutralising the Terriers attacks and showing promise of their own in the final third through Luca Scapuzzi and Kuqi. Despite that, it was Clark's men who went close to opening the scoring on the hour mark when, following a scramble in the Oldham box; Roberts tried to lob the ball into the net but saw his effort cleared by Diamond on the line.

SUB - Lee Novak's game was run in the 65th minute and he was replaced by Alan Lee, who was sporting a fluorescent orange pair of boots!

Alan Lee was making a nuisance of himself following his introduction and went close to breaking the deadlock for the Terriers in the 68th minute when he headed another excellent Hunt cross a yard wide of Cisak's left upright.

SUB - Danny Cadamarteri was Clark's last change of the game. The diminutive winger replaced Gary Roberts in the 74th minute.

A rare bad header from the strong Jean-Yves M'Voto almost gifted Town a goal. The French centre-back headed up in the air allowing Rhodes to shield the ball to Ward who fired just wide with his volley.

GOAL - Town's persistence eventually paid in the 86th minute when Alan Lee converted at the second attempt to send the home fans into ecstasy. Substitute Danny Cadamarteri provided the goal; the winger jinked cleverly before firing a low cross to the front post. Alan's first effort was blocked well by Diamond, but his second squeezed under Cisak and into the far corner.

SUB - Paul Dickov made his first change of the game in the 89th minute. Tall striker Matt Smith replaced winger Josh Parker.

BOOKING - Luca Scapuzzi received the Latics' first caution of the game in the first minute of injury time.

Town's team (4-4-2):

Ian Bennett; Gary Naysmith, Peter Clarke (c), Jamie McCombe, Jack Hunt; Gary Roberts (Danny Cadamarteri 74), Oscar Gobern (Anton Robinson, 22), Tommy Miller, Danny Ward; Jordan Rhodes, Lee Novak (Alan Lee, 65)

Unused substitutes:

Nick Colgan, Tom Clarke

Bookings Town: Anton Robinson 35,

Bookings Oldham: Luca Scapuzzi 91,

Gate: 15,229

Away: 1,579

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.