Skip to main content


17:02 10th December 2011


Town suffered their first home defeat since Boxing Day last year this afternoon following Harry Arter's early strike for the visitors.

Lee Clark's men never really got going and the Cherries deservedly opened the scoring in the 22nd minute when Arter collected Thomas' pull back to finish neatly. Town's chances were limited throughout the afternoon against a Bournemouth side that were well organised and worked hard.

Jordan Rhodes had Town's best chance of the game in the dying embers of the first half when he headed wide a Danny Ward cross.

Web Team lineup Bournemouth

Lee Clark handed a home debut to Jon Parkin and a full debut to Alex Bruce for the visit of Lee Bradbury's Bournemouth. His other change saw Danny Ward start at the expense of Gary Roberts who dropped to the bench.

Cold, wintery conditions met Peter Clarke and Adam Barrett as they led their respective teams out on to the field. Town, in traditional blue and white, kicked off the game shooting towards the John Smith's stand.

Bradbury's side started positively and tested Ian Bennett within three minutes when Wesley Thomas picked out Scott Malone on the edge of the area who, after taking a touch, fired low into the diving arms of Town's 'keeper.

In the 11th minute the visitors had the best chance of the game to date. Neat interplay between Thomas and Malone released the latter into Town's penalty box, he was half stopped on two occasions by Calum Woods and Anton Robinson before Peter Clarke made an another attempt to clear. The ball eventually found its way to Harry Arter eight yards out who could only muster a tame effort, which landed in the grateful hands of Benno.

At the other end, Town went close when debutant Alex Bruce dived in at the near post to meet a Danny Ward cross, but was blocked by an excellent piece of defending from Shaun Cooper.

Cherries right-back Simon Francis missed out on a great opportunity to test Ian Bennett in the 15th minute when he rose highest at the back-stick to meet a Marc Pugh corner, but planted his header into the Fantastic Media stand.

GOAL - The Terriers fell behind on the twenty minute mark when persistent play from Wesley Thomas found Harry Arter, who duly obliged in putting the Cherries ahead. Thomas, who was playing the last game of his loan spell, did very well to force his way past Peter Clarke and after seeing his first cross blocked by Alex Bruce he found the on rushing Arter on the second occasion who stayed composed to beat Bennett and Hunt in the Town goal.

Bournemouth's game plan was working well; Bradbury's men were frustrating the Terriers in defence and counter attacking with pace and précising. In the 25th minute Charlie Daniels showed both those attributes to skip past Scott Arfield and pick out Thomas at the back-post who failed to trouble Ian Bennett with his volley.

Danny Ward's second set-piece of the game on the half hour mark created the Terriers best chance of the game. Ward's in swinging delivery with his left was met by Jordan Rhodes' head, but the Scottish international was unable to direct his header on target.

Jordan header Bournemouth

The slippery conditions was allowing for some crunching tackles to be put in. Within the same period of play Alex Bruce left Harry Arter on the floor with a full blooded and fair tackle before Ian Bennett showed excellent reactions to deny Thomas with his feet.

Despite being behind on the scoreboard, Lee Clark's men were doing the right things in the final third, but were failing to carve out any decent openings.

The Cherries on the other hand were playing superbly on the break and almost capitalised on another broken down attack by Town when Simon Francis galloped in behind Ward and fired into Benno's side netting.

Town's 'keeper was called into action merely a minute later when he had to produce an athletic one hand save to divert Malone's powerful header over the bar.


SUB - Lee Clark was forced to make his first change of the game in the 50th minute when Jack Hunt was stretched off the field following a collision with Charlie Daniels. He was replaced by Gary Naysmith who slotted in at left-back with Woods moving onto the opposite flank.

Town territorial dominated the opening ten minutes of the second-half, but just like the first 45 they were struggling to break down Adam Barrett and his defensive unit.

Jon Parkin

SUB - Jon Parkin was replaced by Lee Novak in the 55th minute as Clark looked to force the initiative.

Bournemouth's first attempt of the second-half was an audacious one; winger Malone attempted to beat Benno from 30 yards, but instead saw his shot roll harmlessly wide. Straight from that attack, Ward cut inside Francis and sliced an effort with his right wide of Darryl Flahavan's goal.

SUB - Lee Clark made his final change of the afternoon just after the hour mark when Gary Roberts replaced former Bournemouth man Anton Robinson.

Town's first effort on target shortly followed when Rhodes lined up a strike from 25 yards and hit one right down the throat of Flahavan.

BOOKING - Goalscorer Arter received his tenth booking of the season in the 66th minute for a cynical trip on Jordan Rhodes.

SUB - A minute later Bradbury made his first change of the game replacing Scott Malone with Wes Fogden.

SUB - With twenty minutes remaining Harry Arter was replaced by defender Stephen Purches.

SUB - Lee Bradbury made his final change of the afternoon replacing Wesley Thomas with Michael Symes in the 78th minute.

In a last ditch attempt to try and get something from the game Lee Clark sent captain Peter Clarke forward to play as a make-shift striker. The move almost reaped immediate rewards when Clarke saw his shot rebound to Ward, who played in a perfect cross to the back-stick which was inches too high for Rhodes and Ward.

BOOKING - Adam Barrett received the Cherries second caution of the game in the 89th minute when he brought down Peter Clarke.


Town's team (4-4-2):

Ian Bennett; Calum Woods, Peter Clarke, Alex Bruce, Jack Hunt (Gary Naysmith 50); Danny Ward, Anton Robinson (Gary Roberts 62), Damien Johnson, Scott Arfield; Jon Parkin (Lee Novak 55), Jordan Rhodes

Unused substitutes:

Nick Colgan, Tommy Miller

Bookings Town:

Bookings Bournemouth: Harry Arter 67, Adam Barrett 89

Gate: 13,930

Away: 216

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.