Skip to main content


16:58 29th October 2011


Huddersfield Town's proud unbeaten run was extended to 41 games this afternoon, with a solitary goal from substitute Anton Robinson enough to grab all three points at Yeovil Town.

The game was a predictably tough and gritty affair, with a blustery Huish Park wind and slippery surface making the going hard. The Terriers were not at their scintillating best, but showed all of the character that has made the unbeaten run possible to grind out a valuable win - with Robinson's goal coming late on in the second half.

Town's starting line up (4-4-2):

Web Team Yeovil 320

The Terriers, sporting their Umbro tailored away kit of red with a white and black chevron, kicked-off to start the game at a blustery Huish Park and earned an early free kick down the left when right back Luke Ayling tripped Danny Ward. However, the home fans were cheering moments later when Wardy slipped on the pitch - sending the ball flying into the stand.

The Glovers then launched the first attack of note when a ball into the area fell at the feet of Watford loanee Gavin Massey; the forward turned neatly to gain a yard of space on League debutant Liam Cooper, but sent a cross-come-shot well wide in front of the travelling faithful.

Yeovil were employing a 4-3-3 formation, with Massey and Kieran Agard operating either side of Oli Johnson, but as per usual the Terriers were pressing their hosts hard out of possession and forcing them to hit it long.

A slip from Jack Hunt in the 10th minute then presented Agard with the chance to dribble into the area, but the recovering tackle from Cooper was perfect - drawing applause from the Town supporters and manager Lee Clark alike.

<a href=Alan Lee Darren Purse Yeovil 320" vspace="8" src="/javaImages/31/cd/0,,10312~10145073,00.jpg" width="320" height="320" />

Town were still trying to get a foothold in the game as the quarter hour mark approached, but brave and determined play from the strike partnership of Lee and Rhodes and a resulting cross from Ward led to a corner. Unfortunately for the Terriers, Ward's set-piece was excellently claimed by goalkeeper Stech.

Skipper Peter Clarke stopped another Yeovil breakaway with a typically strong piece of play in the 22nd minute but the Terriers were not at their fluent best - with the central defensive partnership of the giant N'Gala and Darren Purse doing well. Lee Clark soon changed things, with wingers Ward and Arfield switching sides on occasion.

Alan Lee received treatment from physio Dave Buckby as the half hour approached after taking one of N'Gala's clearances square in the face and 'Buckers' was soon in action again, treating the skipper after he came off worst from a challenge with Massey. In both cases, the Town men were ok to continue.

The break gave the Terriers the time to regroup, with the players heading to the bench before continuing with a prolonged discussion on the pitch - with the experienced Lee at the forefront.

That seemed to spur the team on immediately - following a flick-on from Lee, Arfield found Rhodes with an infield pass and the Scottish under-21 international fired a powerful volley over the crossbar from the edge of the box.

Damien Johnson soon won his side a corner, but from that set-piece Yeovil broke at pace. With Agard leading the charge once again, it took a magnificent trademark block from Clarke to send the shot wide.

<a href=Alan Lee Yeovil 320" vspace="8" src="/javaImages/34/cd/0,,10312~10145076,00.jpg" width="320" height="320" />

BOOKING - At the start of that attack Scott Arfield went in late on left back Jones and once play had stopped the former Falkirk man was booked by referee Dean Whitestone.

Town then went the closest they had to scoring with five minutes of the half remaining through another ward set piece. When the winger was tripped by Ayling, he picked himself up and played a superb free-kick towards the back post where Jordan Rhodes rose highest; his header was on target, but Stech showed good agility to tip the ball over the crossbar.

Yeovil forced quite a few corners in the first half and from midfielder Upson's final effort of the half Ian Bennett took a knock that required treatment.

The first half soon came to a close and both teams will have gone into the break hoping to test the opposition 'keeper more in the second period.

Danny Ward Yeovil 320


SUB - Lee Clark made one change during the interval, with Gary Roberts replacing Ward on the left of midfield.

Town started the second half with more purpose and forced the Glovers into their own territory early on, with a couple of Roberts set-pieces from the right testing their defence.

Alan Lee soon turned a Calum Woods cross wide with his head as Town's improved start continued before Hunt's brilliant cross into the area was expertly headed clear by the experienced Purse with the big striker lurking on his shoulder.

Lee was suddenly the main threat for the Terriers, and he was inches away from converting another excellent cross from Roberts at the back post in the 52nd minute.

BOOKING - Unfortunately Lee was then booked for venting his frustration at the referee after being penalised for a seemingly fair shoulder charge on the much smaller Jones. That was Alan's fifth yellow of the season and will now lead to a one match ban.

'Robbo' forced West Ham loanee custodian Stech to deal with another free kick played into the area in the 59th minute as the Terriers continued to dominate the play.

Jack Hunt Yeovil 320

In a rare Yeovil attack, midfielder Upson hit a snapshot just wide of the Town goal.

SUB - Town's second change saw the recently booked Lee - who had incurred the wrath of the home fans - replaced by Lee Novak.

Rhodes sent a shot into orbit upon the restart before Yeovil worked a clever free kick at the other end, which ended with left back Jones flashing the ball across the face of goal.

Yeovil were buoyed by that and started to come back into the game - and soon hit the crossbar through another set-piece. Upson fired a free-kick into the area from near the corner flag and when Purse knocked the ball back into the danger zone at the far post, midfielder Dominic Blizzard stepped up and rattled the framework with a half volley. Upson followed up, but fired wide.

SUB - Town's final substitution followed in the 73rd minute, with Anton Robinson replacing Damien Johnson in central midfield.

GOAL - A goal for the Terriers soon followed, with substitute Anton Robinson scoring his first goal for the Club in his 13th Town appearance. A low, diagonal pass from left back Calum Woods found its way to winger Arfield, who sent a tremendous left-footed curler towards the top corner; Stech produced a fantastic diving save at full stretch, but when the ball ricocheted off Novak it fell perfectly to the midfielder - who gleefully tapped home.

SUB - Yeovil boss Terry Skiverton made an immediate change with forward Agard replaced by Alan O'Brien.

The hosts tried to fight back immediately, and one break down the Town left saw a deflected cross hit Ian Bennett's upright before falling to safety.

Jordan Rhodes Yeovil 320

Town looked to control possession in the final stages of the game, but Rhodes went close to a goal on the break when he got goal side of N'Gala - only for Stech to spring from his line and snuff out the chance.

BOOKING - Yeovil defender Bondz N'Gala was shown a yellow card for dissent in the three minutes of added time. His teammate Luke Ayling almost immediately followed him into the notebook for the same reason.


Town's team (4-4-2):

Ian Bennett; Calum Woods, Liam Cooper, Peter Clarke (c), Jack Hunt; Danny Ward (Gary Roberts 46), Damien Johnson (Anton Robinson 73), Tommy Miller, Scott Arfield; Alan Lee (Lee Novak 61), Jordan Rhodes

Unused substitutes:

Nick Colgan, Antony Kay


Town:Scott Arfield (35), Alan Lee (55)

Yeovil: Bondz N'Gala (90), Luke Ayling (90)

Attendance: 3,486

Town: 533

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.