Skip to main content


17:23 8th October 2011


Match sponsor:

Halifax logo

The Terriers recorded back to back wins in the League this afternoon courtesy of a hard fought victory against newly promoted Stevenage.

Town were made to work for the three points especially when Scott Laird equalised for the away side in the 67th minute following Gary Roberts' first-half opener.

Despite Stevenage's resoluteness in defence, Lee Novak squeezed Town into the lead in the 76th minute after Anton Robinson had struck the post. Lee Clark's men had to work hard to secure three points and were fortunate when John Mousinho blew an excellent chance to equaliser when he blazed over from the penalty spot two minutes from time.

Lee Clark made seven changes to the side that exited the Johnstone's Paint Trophy during midweek; however, only one from Town's last League match against Brentford with Lee Novak replacing international star Jordan Rhodes.

Town, wearing their traditional blue and white, kicked-off proceedings shooting towards a good number of noisy Terriers in the South Stand.

Gary Roberts led the Terriers first foray on goal after receiving the ball from Tommy Miller and delivering a good ball across Stevenage's box, which Lee Novak was yards away from poking past Chris Day.

Moments later the action was down Town's right when Jack Hunt showed Stacy Long a clean set of heels and swung a deep ball to the back stick. Town's big, Irish striker Alan Lee was waiting at the back stick, but got underneath the ball and his header went aimlessly over the bar.

The Terriers' bright opening to the game continued with winger Roberts going close twice in a matter of minutes. Firstly, he had a shot which flashed past Day's right-hand post and then in the tenth minute he cut inside right-back Lawrie Wilson with ease, before failing to hit the target with the outside of his left-boot.

BOOKING - Michael Bostwick was the recipient of the first caution of the game in the 20th minute when Lee Novak ran at the centre back and he was forced to bring him down on the edge of his area. From the resulting free-kick, Roberts struck a sweet left-footed shot, which was headed well over the bar by John Mousinho.

Stevenage's renowned resoluteness was showing as the game drew towards the half hour mark. Despite their territorial advantage Lee Clark's men were finding it difficult to break down the two banks of four which Stevenage had situated in front of Day's goal.

The Town fans had to wait till the 33rd minute for their next effort on goal, when Jack Hunt took the ball down nicely on the edge of Stevenage's area and drilled an effort just over Day's right upright.

SUB - Graham Westley made an early change when Stacy Long was replaced by Chris Beardsley in the 36th minute.

BOOKING - Both teams squared up in the 38th minute following a lunge by Damien Johnson on Scott Laird. Town's central midfielder appeared to have won the ball; however, the Stevenage players were not happy and raced over to the referee to confront him and Johnson. After taking a moment to calm matters referee Rushton showed Johnson the yellow card.

From the resulting free-kick, Michael Bostwick attempted a 40 yard thunderbolt which instead went harmlessly wide of Ian Bennett's goal.

Gary Roberts shot 320

GOAL - The Terriers finally broke Stevenage's resistant in the 44th minute when Gary Roberts raced clear to slot past Chris Day. Scott Arfield was the architect of the move; the Scotsman picked up the ball in the midfield before playing the ball in behind Wilson with his left and into the path of the onrushing Roberts. The winger controlled the ball well and steadied himself before sliding the ball past Day and into the bottom right-hand corner of the goal for his sixth of the season.


SUB - Graham Westley made a substitution during the half-time interval replacing Michael Bostwick with Jon Ashton.

The Terriers came out of the blocks well and won a succession of early corners in the first minute of the half. Despite Robbo's excellent delivery the Stevenage players were defending tightly and not allowing the Town attackers any free room in the box.

Town were having more luck down the channels and very nearly doubled their advantage in the 50th minute when Scott Arfield got the by-line and hit a low ball across the box. The cross looked destined to reach Alan Lee, but it took a slight deflection on the way though which wrong footed the striker and saw the ball go out for a Town throw-in.

Town were then let off the hook in the 53rd minute when Calum Woods was forced to clear off Ian Bennett's line from a John Mousinho effort. The Terriers looked to have quashed the Stevenage attack, however, when Antony Kay miss controlled the ball it allowed Craig Reid to steal and march in on goal. The striker then showed good awareness to find John Mousinho who had an open goal to aim at, but failed to find a way past Woods, who showed great awareness to cover and clear the ball off the line.

SUB - Lee Clark made his first change of the game just after the hour mark, replacing Scott Arfield with Anton Robinson.

GOAL - Arguably against the run of play Stevenage scored a brilliant equaliser courtesy of left-winger Scott Laird. After winning a midfield battle with Tommy Miller, John Mousinho raced forward from the centre spot towards Peter Clarke before spraying a ball out wide to Laird. The winger had space to take a touch before rifling a shot with the outside of his left-boot, which hit the inside of Benno's left-hand post and into the back of the net.

BOOKING - Anton Robinson received Town's second booking of the game in the 69th minute for a rash sliding tackle.

SUB - Lee Clark made his second change of the game in the 72nd minute when goal scorer Roberts left the field to be replaced by Danny Ward.

Alan Lee 320" hspace="0" alt="Alan Lee 320" src="/javaImages/b/bf/0,,10312~10075915,00.jpg" width="320" height="320" />

GOAL - The Terriers retook the lead in the 76th minute courtesy of excellent play by Anton Robinson and a tidy finish from Lee Novak in his 100th appearance for Town. The midfielder seemed to be short of ideas on the edge of the Stevenage box, however, after turning in and then out again he struck a low shot with his left-foot, which rebound off the post and into the path of Novak who slotted Town's second and his ninth of the season with ease.

SUB - Stevenage made their final throw of the dice in the 78th minute when Bryon Harrison replaced Craig Reid.

Following Novak's goal the Terriers went in search of a third and almost found it when Ward touched the ball inside of Edwards and fired a rasping shot with his right, which went inches wide of Day's goal.

BOOKING - Town received their third caution of the game in the 87th minute when Antony Kay was adjudged to have fouled Byron Harrison in the penalty area. The fouled looked very harsh of Antony who appeared to have made little or no contact on the striker following a long ball over the top. Stevenage's attacking midfielder John Mousinho shouldered the responsibility, but failed to draw his side level blazing the penalty into the thankful Town fans in the South Stand.

BOOKING - Alan Lee received a yellow in the first minute of injury time for a supposed elbow on Phil Edwards - which again looked very harsh.


Town's team (4-4-2):

Ian Bennett; Calum Woods, Antony Kay, Peter Clarke (c), Jack Hunt; Gary Roberts (Danny Ward, 72), Tommy Miller, Damien Johnson, Scott Arfield (Anton Robinson, 63); Alan Lee, Lee Novak

Unused substitutes:

Nick Colgan, Gary Naysmith, Donal McDermott

Bookings -

Town: Damien Johnson 38, Anton Robinson 69, Antony Kay 87, Alan Lee 90

Stevenage: Michael Bostwick 20

Gate: 12,890 (Attendance: 10,949)

Away: 243

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.