Skip to main content


16:58 1th October 2011


Town had fun in the sunshine at Griffin Park this afternoon, notching four past Uwe Rosler's Brentford to break back into the promotion places.

The Bees, who recently won away at Oldham, started the game on top and dominated the first 20 minute period. However, after that, the Terriers dominated and took a deserved lead in the in the 37th minute when Rhodes headed home the first of his brace.

Following an even thirty minutes of football the Terriers doubled their lead when substitute Lee Novak lobbed home from eight yards. The same player then turned provider when he crossed for Rhodes to score his second. Lee Clark's men then sealed the victory when Gary Roberts picked up a rebound and smashed home Town's fourth of the afternoon.

Lee Clark made four changes to his side this afternoon with Captain Peter Clarke the most notable of those, returning to replace the suspended Jamie McCombe.

Elsewhere, Tommy Miller and Gary Roberts came into Clark's midfield four at the expense of Danny Ward and Anton Robinson. Upfront Jordan Rhodes was called in to the starting line-up with Lee Novak dropping to the bench.

The Terriers started the game shooting towards the home fans and were quickly awarded a free-kick when Gary Roberts was fouled inside the Town half. The resulting free-kick, which Ian Bennett punted forwarded, was well defended by the Bees tall centre back pairing of Marcel Egar and Karleigh Osborne.

The first effort of the game fell to the Bees, following good work from the former Leeds United central midfielder Jonathan Douglas. In the sixth minute the Irishman skipped past Tommy Miller on the edge of Town's area before laying the ball off to right-back Adam Thompson, who could only fire high and wide into the Town fans behind Ian Bennett's goal.

Moments later the recalled Peter Clarke put his body on the line for Terriers, throwing himself in front of a goal bound effort from Douglas on the edge of Town's penalty area.

SUB - Lee Clark was forced into an early change when Calum Woods had to leave the field with a suspected hamstring injury for Liam Cooper in the 13th minute.

Brentford dominated the opening twenty minutes of the game without forcing Town 'keeper Ian Bennett into any kind of save. Going forward the Terriers had struggled to get the ball down and get their passing game going - Gary Roberts had seen very little of the ball down the left-wing.

A foul by Thompson in the 22nd minute on Roberts handed the Terriers a chance to test Richard Lee. The recipient of the foul, Roberts, stood over the free-kick and curled in a wicked delivery to the back post, which Peter Clarke headed just wide of Lee's right-hand post.

Clarke's near miss lifted the Terriers' confidence, especially Rhodes who was battling well against Egar. They then went close on three occasions from the same spell of possession; firstly in the 25th minute Jordan Rhodes forced Lee to tip over his bar with a looping header from the penalty spot. From the resulting corner, Clarke lost his man and hit the post before the ball was eventually cleared for another corner. Then, from Town's third corner in a minute, Kay headed over a difficult chance from three yards when under pressure.

Brentford's response came in the shape of young winger Niall McGinn who cut inside from his left-wing position before firing a powerful effort with his right foot just wide of Benno's goal.

Jack Hunt 320 Bees

GOAL - Town took a deserved lead in the in the 37th minute when Jordan Rhodes planted a header back across Richard Lee and into the Bees goal. Tommy Miller was the provided; the central midfielder picked up the ball down Town's left before swinging in a cross to allow Rhodes to head home his 50th goal in blue and white from 12 yards out.

Rhodes was playing with a lot of confidence and went close to doubling Town's advantage when he cut inside Marcel Egar and fired a thunderous shot from 25 yards, which was brilliantly parried away by the outstretched arm of Richard Lee.


SUBS - Uwe Rosler made two half-time substitutes; Myles Weston and Toumani Diagouraga were introduced at the expense of Kevin O'Connor and Marcus Bean.

Town meanwhile were unchanged and would shoot towards the Town faithful for the second 45.

The Terriers defence were called into action immediately when David Clarkson broke the off-side trap and raced in behind. The striker pulled the ball back from the by-line in the direction of the onrushing support, but failed to get the ball past Liam Cooper who made a tidy clearance.

BOOKING - Damien Johnson received the first caution of the game in the 54th minute for a trip on Niall McGinn as he looked to start a counter attacker for the home team.

Town had settled into the game following the Bees sharp start to the second-half and were testing the Brentford backline with some good crosses. Gary Roberts' delivery from corners had been a particular highlight throughout the game and provided Town with a number of chances to test Richard Lee.

It was Roberts again in the 62nd minute who unlocked the Brentford backline allowing Rhodes to get in and strike the bar. Tommy Miller started the move after collecting the ball from a Scott Arfield tackle. Miller instantly switched play towards Roberts who took the ball down on his chest before racing forward. The winger only had Rhodes in front of him and he found the striker with a neat slide rule pass. Rhodes took one touch before hitting the ball with his left on the edge of the area and was unfortunate to strike the bar.

SUBS - Lee Clark made two quick fire changes. In the 64th minute Alan Lee left the field allowing Lee Novak to take his place, then in the 67th minute, Scott Arfield was replaced by Anton Robinson.

GOAL - Town doubled their advantage twenty minutes from time when Lee Novak showed excellent composure to lob Richard Lee from eight yards. Novak's eighth of the season came courtesy of Tommy Miller who grabbed his second assist of the game. The central midfielder lobbed the ball over Brentford's high line allowing Novak to steady himself and lob the ball over the advancing Richard Lee from the penalty spot.

Uwe Rosler's men almost replied immediately and Town had 'keeper Bennett to thank for keeping the score at 2-0. Substitute Diagouraga skipped inside the sliding challenge of Antony Kay before firing a shot straight at Benno, which he palmed away into the path of McGinn. The winger's first touch was good, but Bennett redeemed himself by throwing his body in the way of his shot to clear the danger.

Peter Clarke 320 Bees

GOAL - Following the Bees' short spell of pressure the Terriers went up the other end and secured victory thanks to brilliant play between Novak and Rhodes. Novak received the ball down Town's right and skipped past his marker before firing the ball across goal and into the path of Jordan Rhodes who duly obliged in heading his second in the 77th minute.

GOAL - Town were running riot in the sunshine at Griffin Park and made it four only a minute later when Gary Roberts smashed home a rebound. The move began with Rhodes who picked up the ball 40 yards and went in search of his hat trick. The Scotland under-21 international cut inside Egar on to his weaker left foot and struck a shot from 25 yards, which was deflected onto Lee's left-hand post. Robbo was following Jordan all the way and was to first to react to the rebound and smashed the ball home off the post to send the Town fans into raptures.

The game fell into a lull following Roberts' goal with neither side attacking with any real intensity.


Town's team (4-4-2):

Ian Bennett; Calum Woods (Liam Cooper, 13), Peter Clarke (c), Antony Kay, Jack Hunt; Gary Roberts, Tommy Miller, Damien Johnson, Scott Arfield (Anton Robinson, 67); Jordan Rhodes, Alan Lee (Lee Novak, 64)

Unused substitutes:

Nick Colgan, Danny Ward


Brenford -

Town - Johnson 54,

Attendance: 6101

Away: 899

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.