Skip to main content


18:08 24th September 2011


Match Sponsor:

Eavesway Logo 320

After dominating the game and taking a two goal lead the Terriers failed to secure all three points with Leyton Orient battling back to score two late goals.

The decisive moment in the game came in the 85th minute when Town defender Jamie McCombe was shown a straight red card following an off the ball incident with George Porter. Kevin Lisbie scored from the resulting corner and then the O's grabbed a point when Ben Chorley drove home a low shot.

Town had earlier taken the lead through Alan Lee courtesy of an excellent run by Jack Hunt. The latter then doubled the Terriers advantage in the 68th minute with a superb effort from 20 yards out. However, that proved not to be enough for Town who, like last time the teams met at the Stadium, failed to hold out for the victory.

For a third successive game in a row Town Manager Lee Clark named an unchanged eleven as his side aimed to continue their 34 game unbeaten run in the League against Londoners Leyton Orient.

Clark did make one change on his bench however, with Tommy Miller replacing Anton Robinson

Town started the game well and were awarded a corner inside the first minute following good work from Danny Ward down the left flank. The winger took the resulting corner, however, over-hit the delivery, which allowed Orient to clear their lines.

Ward was in the thick of things again minutes later when he collected Lee Butcher's half clearance and clipped a ball to the back stick. Town's in-form striker Alan Lee was quickest to react, but placed his low header wide of the O's goal.

Orient were struggling to cope with the Terriers quick movement and slick passing and were lucky not to go behind when Oscar Gobern rattled Butcher's cross bar. Lee began the move, passing inside from the right to Gobern who played a neat one two with Scott Arfield before thundering a strike from 20 yards against the frame of Orient's goal.

The positive reaction from the Town fans following Oscar's strike seemed to inspire Russell Slade's men who had their first effort on goal in the 12th minute when George Porter skipped past Woods and fired a shot wide from the edge of the penalty area.

GOAL - Following a period of even possession between the sides, the Terriers opened the scoring in the 23rd minute courtesy of a great run by Jack Hunt and header by Alan Lee. The goal was all down to Town's young right-back Hunt who showed superb pace to beat Dean Cox and then trickery to cut inside Elliott Omozusi before chipping a ball to the back post where Lee rose highest to head back across goal, leaving Butcher with no chance and sending the Town fans into raptures.

Alan Lee Celebrate Orient 320" hspace="0" alt="Alan Lee Celebrate Orient 320" src="/javaImages/4/fe/0,,10312~10026500,00.jpg" width="320" height="320" />

Lee Clark's men began to build on their lead as the clock ticked towards the half an hour mark and passed up several chances to test Butcher. Firstly, Jamie McCombe chose to pass the ball to Arfield when maybe the better option was to shoot and Danny Ward failed to deliver when he was in a good position down the left wing.

Referee Lewis was called upon to make a big decision a few minutes later when George Porter went down under an Antony Kay challenge just inside Ian Bennett's penalty area. Despite the O's players' protests Mr Lewis waved away their claims and awarded a corner to the relief of the Town fans. From the resulting corner Lee Novak cleared the danger at the front post.

Following Lewis' debatable decision Town lost some of their attacking impetus and found it difficult to break down Orient who were defending with two banks of four with Matthew Spring sitting in-between. Despite a couple of bright points for the Terries they failed to test Butcher again and went in at half-time one goal ahead.


The Terriers didn't make the best of starts to the second-half and were immediately on the back foot when Ian Bennett fumbled a cross and allowed Orient the opportunity to test Town from a corner. Thankfully for the Terriers, Antony Kay commanded the penalty area and cleared the danger.

Lee Clark's men did make their first foray into Orient's half with about five minutes played of the second-half when Calum Woods cut the ball inside for Scott Arfield. The Scotsman collected the ball from the edge of the area and attempted to beat his marker with a step over and cut the ball back, however, he found Terrell Forbes in his way who successful cleared the danger for his team.

BOOKING - Calum Woods was the first recipient of a yellow card in the 55th minute when he pulled at George Porter's shirt and then brought him down as he looked to break down the O's right wing.

SUB - Immediately after Woods' booking Danny Ward was replaced by fellow winger Gary Roberts.

George Porter was without doubt the O's most potent attacking option and was giving Calum Woods arguably his toughest test of his so far short career in blue and white. In the 65th minute, following good play from Mooney and Dawson in the middle of the park, the latter released Porter who was in behind Woods and finished well; however, when he looked up to celebrate he saw the linesman flagging for an offside.

GOAL - Arguably against the run of play, Town doubled their lead in the 68th minute thanks to another magic moment from Jack Hunt who fired home from 20 yards out. The move stemmed from Town's left and found Hunt courtesy of a neat square ball from Damien Johnson; the right-back appeared fairly isolated, however, he only had one thought in his mind and that was to smash en effort back across Butcher and into his top-right hand corner.

SUB - Clark made his second change of the game following Hunt's goal replacing Lee Novak with Jordan Rhodes.

Alan Lee Jump Orient 320" hspace="0" alt="Alan Lee Jump Orient 320" src="/javaImages/9/fe/0,,10312~10026505,00.jpg" width="320" height="320" />

SUB - Slade followed suit and replaced his only striker David Mooney with former Charlton frontman Kevin Lisbie in the 69th minute.

BOOKING - When play restarted Elliott Omozusi found his way into the referee's book following a collision with Alan Lee in the 70th minute.

Gary Roberts had started well since his introduction to the game in the 55th minute and was unlucky not to score Town's third of the afternoon when his delicately chipped effort was chalked off for an earlier offside.

RED CARD - Town's Jamie McCombe was shown a straight red card in the 84th minute when George Porter went down under suspicious circumstances. The incident was off the ball and while the O's were preparing to take a corner.

SUB - McCombe's red card forced Clark to introduce Liam Cooper for his League debut at the expense of Gary Roberts.

GOAL - After waiting patiently to take the corner Lean McSweeney played a well directed ball into Town's penalty area, which substitute Kevin Lisbie finished well from with a header after losing his marker.

GOAL - With the Terriers defence falling ever further back towards Ian Bennett's goal they allowed the O's centre back Ben Chorley too much time on the edge of the area and he punished them with a superb low effort.


Town's team (4-4-2):

Ian Bennett; Calum Woods, Jamie McCombe, Antony Kay, Jack Hunt; Danny Ward (Gary Roberts 56; Liam Cooper. 85), Oscar Gobern, Damien Johnson, Scott Arfield; Lee Novak (Jordan Rhodes 68), Alan Lee

Unused substitutes:

Nick Colgan, Tommy Miller

Gate: 12,269 (Attendance: 10,513)

Away: 180


Town - Calum Woods 55,

Leyton Orient - Elliot Omozusi 70,

Red card:

Jamie McCombe (Town) 84

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.