Skip to main content


12:11 30th August 2011


Match Sponsor:

DH Technology 320

An inspired Alan Lee scored a brace of header's this afternoon to see off newly promoted Wycombe Wanderers at the Stadium.

Town struggled to break down a resolute Wycombe defence in the first-half and needed the introduction of Alan Lee in the 55th minute to break the deadlock. The big man scored with his first touch of the ball and quickly followed that up with his second goal courtesy of a bullet header, which left Bull with no chance.

Gary Roberts then capped off proceedings with a typically elegant free-kick, which curled past Bull and into the far right corner of his goal.

Wycombe Miller 320

Lee Clark made one change to his starting eleven for this afternoon's League 1 encounter with Wycombe Wanderers.

Captain Peter Clarke was not in the 16 with a suspected injury meaning his place was taken by Antony Kay, who was also made captain in Peter's place. Lee Clark's change meant that on loan Hull defender Liam Cooper was drafted on to the substitute's bench. His bench also saw one other change with Scott Arfield replacing Oscar Gobern.

Lee Clark's Terriers kicked off proceedings shooting towards the gathering of Town fans in the Pink Link Stand.

Wycombe's Stuart Lewis was the first player to take aim; however, his wayward shot was well over Ian Bennett's goal in the second minute.

Town dominated the opening to proceedings with Jack Hunt and Donal McDermott involved in a lot of the Terriers play. Despite that, it was Wycombe who had another attempt at goal; a cross from the Town right was well attacked by Ben Strevens whose header was well wide of Benno's goal.

Wycombe Danny 320

The Terriers first attempt on goal followed shortly after; good work from Anton Robinson released Jordan Rhodes in the Chairboys box. The Scotland under-21 international turned sharply before curling an effort a few yards wide of Nikki Bull's left upright.

Wycombe finally hit the target with an effort in the 17th minute when Scott Donnelly drove an effort from 25 yards straight down the throat of Ian Bennett. Their second effort on goal followed shortly afterwards when Strevens flicked on a free-kick straight into the Town 'keepers hand.

A brilliant individual piece of play from winger Danny Ward very nearly unlocked Wycombe's defence. Ward raced down the left wing before firing a ball across the face of Bull's penalty area; Rhodes was the closest Town player to it before Andy Sandell cleared the ball for a corner. From the resulting corner Rhodes rose highest at the back stick and should have done better with his header, which went over from six yards.

BOOKING - Wycombe's James Tunnicliffe was the first player to enter Mr Miller's book following his foul on Jordan Rhodes in the 27th minute.

Smart work from Donal McDermott just after the 30 minute mark released Lee Novak in behind Marvin McCoy; the striker had a clear run of goal but found his path quickly blocked by McCoy who showed fantastic pace to clear the danger.

Wycombe were showing no real attacking intent and were barley foraging forward of the half-way line. Town were seeing a lot of possession as a result but struggling to break down Waddock's well organised outfit who had parked the proverbial team bus in front of Bull's goal.


The game began in a similar vein to which the first finished. Wycombe were sitting behind the ball defending in a numbers and Town, despite their constant possession, were lacking ideas.

SUBS - Lee Clark made two substitutions ten minutes into the second-half. Gary Roberts replaced Donal McDermott and Alan Lee came on in place of Lee Novak.

GOAL - Lee Clark's change did the trick with Alan Lee using his physical strength to score with his first touch of the game in the 57th minute. Town left-back Gary Naysmith provided the assist with a well directed cross from the left towards the back-stick. Lee was marked tightly by Leon Johnson, however, he could do nothing to prevent the big man climbing high and guiding a header over the top of Bull and into the back of the net via the left upright.

Wycombe Alan lee 320

BOOKING - Scott Donnelly was the second player to receive a caution when he bought down Gary Roberts just outside the box in the 64th minute.

SUB - Gary Waddock's reaction to going behind was to replace midfielder Scott Donnelly with striker Elliot Benyon. Waddock's switch saw his side change to a 4-4-2 formation. The Chairboys substitution almost paid off when Ben Harding went close with a curling effort from the edge of the area.

SUB - Waddock's first change was quickly followed by his second when Kevin Betsy entered the fray at the expense of Gareth Ainsworth in the 69th minute.

GOAL - Waddock's change did nothing to prevent Town's charge on Bull's goal though and they quickly doubled their tally in the 70th minute when Alan Lee bulleted another header past the Wycombe 'keeper. This time the cross came from the right courtesy of good link up play between Tommy Miller and Jack Hunt, with the latter providing the delivery for Lee to again rise above Johnson and fire a header from 12 yards past Bull.

SUB - Lee Clark made his final change of the game in the 74th minute when Scotsman Scott Arfield replaced Danny Ward.

Wycombe Jordan 320

SUB - Minutes later Gary Waddock made his final change replacing striker Ben Strevens with Stuart Bevon.

GOAL - Town sealed the victory courtesy of an excellent free-kick from substitute Gary Roberts in the 82nd minute. The Terriers won the free-kick when Jordan Rhodes turned sharply on the ball forcing Leon Johnson to bundle him over on the edge of the Chairboys area. Robbo took charge of the situation before curling an effort through a crowded penalty area and into the bottom right of Bull's goal.

Proceedings settled down following Roberts' strike and Town saw out victory to record back to back home victories.


Town's team (4-4-2):

Ian Bennett; Gary Naysmith, Antony Kay (c), Jamie McCombe, Jack Hunt; Danny Ward (Scott Arfield 74), Tommy Miller, Anton Robinson, Donal McDermott (Gary Roberts 55); Jordan Rhodes, Lee Novak (Alan Lee 55)

Unused substitutes:

Nick Colgan, Liam Cooper


Town: Jamie McCombe 27,

Wycombe: Scott Donnelly 64,

Gate: 11,953 (9664)

Away: 207

Last Fan Standing Footer

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.