Skip to main content


21:41 16th August 2011


Huddersfield Town continued their unbeaten start to the season this evening following a hard fought draw against Hartlepool United at Victoria Park.

The game lacked any really goalmouth action throughout with Town going the closest late on when Tommy Miller's 18 yard shot was a whisker wide of Flinders goal.

Despite not forcing Ian Bennett into a meaningful save Hartlepool threatened on regular occasion and could have won the game when Colin Nish failed to hit the target at the back post.

Lee Clark's starting line-up saw one change from the Rochdale game with Danny Ward replacing Donal McDermott who dropped to the bench. Town's bench also consisted of one change with Alan Lee making the 16 at the expense of right-back Calum Woods.

Hartlepool started the game well and won the first corner of the game in the second minute when good work down the left-flank resulted in Oscar Gobern blocking a wide delivery away for a corner. The resulting corner was well attacked by Pool but they failed to trouble Ian Bennett in Town's goal.

Town soon found their way into the game and in the fifth minute had their first real spell of possession, however, that was soon broken down by the Hartlepool defence who had started quicker than the Terriers.

BOOKING - Hartlepool received the first caution of the game from referee Sutton when Neil Austin was shown a yellow card for a rash tackle on Gary Roberts in the ninth minute.

Town conceded the first free-kick of the game in the 14th minute when Danny Ward was deemed to have fouled left-back Evan Horwood. Striker Colin Nish stood over the ball and fired a well hit shot just wide of Bennett's goal and into the Town supporters.

Jack Hunt Hartlepool 320

The Terriers first foray on Scott Flinders goal came in the 16th minute and courtesy of a misplaced pass from former Terrier Sam Collins. The centre-back gave the ball straight to Gobern 40 yards out who immediately played in Ward. Although the winger's shot was initially well dealt with by Peter Hartley the resulting period of play ended with Jack Hunt; who believed he should have had a penalty when Paul Murray came across to defend and looked to have used his arm to block the ball. However, Mr Sutton didn't agree and waved away the appeals.

Town's first effort on Flinders goal came in the 27th minute when Danny Ward received the ball from Tommy Miller to the right of Pool's box and hit a curling effort well wide of the left upright.

It was quickly followed by Town's second when Gobern picked the ball up and attempted a speculative effort from 30 yards out, which was gathered with ease by Pool's 'keeper.

Town were starting to get a foothold in the game as it drew towards the 30 minute mark and went close again when Tommy Miller gathered the ball 18 yards and hit a half-volley into the Hartlepool fans behind Flinders goal.

Jack Hunt was again having another impressive game in the right-back spot. The full-back was defending well and also putting in the yards down the right touchline adding an extra dimension to Town's attacking game.

Town won their first corner of the game in the 43rd minute following good work by Ward, who showed excellent pace to beat Hartley to a through ball and force a corner. From the resulting Roberts set-piece, Gobern looked to have an excellent chance but failed to make a clean connection from six yards out.


Neither manager made any changes during the half time interval with both teams lining up the same as they did at the starting whistle.

In a reversal of the first-half it was Town on the front foot during the opening exchanges of the second. Scott Arfield's direct forward runs were causing Pool's centre-backs problems as he looked to pick up the knock downs from Lee Novak.

Scott Arfield Hartlepool 320

Also well involved in the action was Jack Hunt down the right-wing who after beating Evan Horwood with ease swung a well directed cross towards Roberts; who in the act of trying to head the ball was deemed to have fouled his marker.

SUB - Lee Clark made his first change of the game in the 54th minute when Jordan Rhodes replaced Danny Ward. Clark's change saw a change in formation for the Terriers with Arfield going onto the right of midfield and Rhodes up alongside Novak in attack.

Ian Bennett was called upon to make his first save of the game three minutes later; when Colin Larkin attacked Gary Naysmith on the counter attack before firing a low shot from 20 yards, forcing Benno into a comfortable save low down to his left.

Hartlepool was starting to apply the pressure on the Town backline as the game ticked past the hour mark. They were unlucky not to force Bennett into a save when Larkin appeared at the back post but was unable to control his half volley.

Peter Clarke and his defence were under the cosh again minutes later when Larkin swung a deep ball to the back post, which was well won by Andy Monkhouse. His header back across goal forced Clarke to head out from under his bar before the referee eventually broke the pressure by awarding the Terriers a free-kick.

The game swung back in Town's favour with Arfield testing Flinders in the 65th minute and then back with Hartlepool when they should have broke the deadlock through Colin Nish. The ball found its way to Nish in somewhat fortuitous fashion when Peter Clarke's brilliant last ditched tackle spun away to the tall striker. The striker had time to take a touch before firing wide from six yards when it looked easier to score.

SUBS - Town's second change of the game saw Donal McDermott replace Lee Novak in the 71st minute. Also making a change was Mick Wadsworth who brought on James Brown for James Poole.

BOOKING - Tommy Miller was Town's first player to go into the book after kicking the ball away following the referee's decision to award Pool's a free-kick in the 74th minute.

The introduction of Donal McDermott for the Terriers seemed to inspire them into life momentarily. The tricky Irishman picked the ball up 40 yards out and eased his way past two Pool's players before passing to Arfield. The Scotsman's cross with the outside of his boot was well attacked by Town, but defended as equally well by Hartlepool who cleared their lines.

SUB - Pool's made their second change of the game in the 80th minute when Colin Nish was replaced by Adam Boyd.

A momentary lapse in concentration by the Pools defence almost gifted Town the opener. Following a mix up at the back; Arfield picked up the ball and played in Roberts who made his way into Pool's penalty area. After a sharp turn he laid the ball back for Arfield who in turn played the ball to Miller whose 18 yard effort skimmed Flinder's left-post as it went behind for a dead ball.

SUB - Hartlepool made their final change in the 82nd minute when Paul Murray departed for Steve Haslam.


Town's team (4-3-3):

Ian Bennett; Gary Naysmith, Peter Clarke (c), Jamie McCombe, Jack Hunt; Tommy Miller, Oscar Gobern, Scott Arfield; Gary Roberts, Lee Novak (Donal McDermott 71), Danny Ward (Jordan Rhodes 54)

Unused subs:

Nick Colgan, Antony Kay, Alan Lee


Hartlepool: Neil Austin 9,

Town: Tommy Miller 74,

Attendance: 5506

Away: 587

Our Town footer

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.