Skip to main content


22:45 18th May 2011


An epic game of football ended in jubilation for the Terriers when Antony Kay stepped up and fired home the winning penalty to send Town to Old Trafford!

The game was evenly balanced throughout, as has been the case with all the previous meetings this season between the sides. The Terriers opened the scoring through Lee Peltier before Steve Lovell scored from the penalty spot. Town went into half-time in the lead courtesy of a Danny Ward strike, but they were quickly pegged back by the Cherries who equalised through Lovell's second of the game.

Neither side could manage a winner with the game going to extra time, which saw Antony Kay's header cancel out Ing's earlier header. The Cherries were then reduced to ten men when Jason Pearce received his marching orders for a reckless tackle on Kevin Kilbane. However, Town could not capitalise, meaning the game would be decided from the penalty spot. Thankfully for the 15,000 Town fans the Terriers held there nerve and were fired through to Old Trafford courtesy of Antony Kay's fantastic penalty.

The game started in bizarre fashion with referee Swarbrick having to restart the game seconds in as Benik Afobe had wandered into Bournemouth's half and was effectively offside. When the game did start Town had the first chance 23 seconds in when Gary Roberts collected a loose ball on the edge of the Cherries box and rifled a left-footed volley. Sadly for the Terriers, Shwan Jalal did well in the Bournemouth goal and blocked the effort away.

Town were all over the Cherries like a rash in the first five minutes with much of the Terriers good play coming through winger Roberts. He threatened again in the fourth minute when he cut inside his marker Adam Smith and fired an effort on goal, which was well blocked by Shaun Cooper.

The Cherries had their first chance on goal in the eighth minute when Donal McDermott collected a poor clearance from Antony Kay and laid the ball off neatly to Danny Ings. Ings' sharp first touch took him away from Peter Clarke and his second almost beat Ian Bennett in the Town goal, but his effort went just wide of Bennett's left-hand post.

Roberts was in the act again for Town in the 12th minute when his left-footed effort curled narrowly wide of Jalal's goal from 18 yards out.

BOOKED - Gary Naysmith received the first caution of the game in the 14th minute for a dangerous looking tackle; the resulting free-kick was well defended by Kevin Kilbane who saw the ball out under heavy pressure from Jason Pearce.

The Cherries grew into the game following Smith's free-kick and had a good period of possession. However, the Terriers defence was proving resolute and throughout that period Ian Bennett did not have a save to make.

GOAL - Town opened the scoring in the 26th minute courtesy of an excellent back post header from central midfielder for the day Lee Peltier. Town won the corner following an excellent save from Jalal to deny Jordan Rhodes' header. Just like last Saturday, Robbo stood over and delivered an inch perfect cross to Peltier who nodded in unmarked at the back stick.

Ian Bennett was forced into his first save of the game in the 35th minute when Bournemouth's goal scorer from the weekend, McDermott cut inside Naysmith and fired a shot in on goal. Benno got down well at his near first and was helped out by Peter Clarke who swept up the rebound.

GOAL - The Cherries equalised as the first half neared its close through a Steve Lovell penalty. Town were caught on the back foot in the 44th minute when Adam Smith collected a Steve Lovell flick-on and raced in to the area. Smith ran on to the ball with pace and nicked the ball past Peter Clarke as he made his challenge. Unluckily for Peter, he caught Smith leaving the referee no choice but to award the Cherries a penalty. Unlike last Saturday, Lovell stepped up and fired a ball past Ian Bennett.

Town had a fantastic chance to re-take the lead in the 45th minute when Jordan Rhodes put a header over from six yards. Town's top scorer was the recipient of a header from Lee Peltier, but from six yards managed to miss the target when it looked easier to hit it.

GOAL - Town retook the lead in superb fashion through the on loan Bolton winger Danny Ward on the stroke of half-time. The goal came following Town's best move of the game which involved Hunt, Afobe, Roberts and Peltier. The latter's eventual lay off found Ward on the edge of the box; his sharp turn left his marker on the floor and without a moment's hesitation the winger fired a left-footed effort which Jalal with no chance in the Cherries goal.


Bournemouth started the second half-well and had a good opportunity to test Ian Bennett in the 46th minute when Gary Roberts bought down a Cherries attacker 20 yards out from Town's goal. The Cherries complicated set-piece gave Donal McDermott the chance to have a strike on goal but his solid effort struck the Town wall.

Town almost made it 3-1 in the 50th minute when Clarke's snapshot from 10 yards went narrowly past Jalal's goal following a deflection. The resulting corner was well attacked by the Terriers but cleared well by the Cherries back-line.

BOOKING - Donal McDermott was the first Bournemouth player to into the book as a result of late tackle on Jack Hunt in the 54th minute.

Gary Naysmith's adventurous forward run in the 57th minute offered Rhodes the opportunity to notch up Town's third, but again he failed to hit the target from six yards. The left-backs run got him all the way to the Cherries by-line, where he neatly squared the ball for Rhodes who hit his effort over Jalal's goal frame.

BOOKED - Kevin Kilbane received a yellow card in the 59th minute for confronting the Cherries right-back following a foul.

GOAL - Bournemouth equalised through a very good 63rd minute goal from Steve Lovell. The striker collected the ball 18 yards out from a ball inside from Rhoys Wiggins. Lovell neatly evaded Clarke's tackle and showed even more composure to round 'Benno' and knock the ball into an empty net with his weaker left foot.

SUB - Lee Clark made his first change of the game in the 67th minute when Jordan Rhodes was replaced by Lee Novak.

A brilliant piece of individual play from Benik Afobe had the Bournemouth defence at sixes and sevens and almost gave Town the lead. The Arsenal loanee received the ball from a slide rule pass from Roberts and raced in on goal. He firstly took the ball past Cooper and then Jalal before firing wide with his left foot. Afobe may have been better leaving the ball for Lee Novak who had a perfect sight of goal and arguably a better chance of hitting the target.

SUB - Lee Bradbury made his first switch of the game as Donal McDermott left the field to be replaced by Marc Pugh.

The Cherries had a perfect opportunity to take the lead for the first time in the game when Danny Hollands met a corner unmarked; luckily for Town his downward header was straight at Ian Bennett in the 81st minute.

A piece of magic from Roberts almost handed Town their third of the night. Kilbane's nod down header found the winger who neatly beat his marker Wiggins and curled an effort from twenty yards, which was centimetres away from making it 3-2.

BOOKING - Steve Lovell was the second Cherries player to go into the book. His late tackle on Antony Kay was enough for referee Swarbrick to issue the yellow card in the 90th minute.

Neither side managed the winner meaning extra time would be played.


Town started the first period of extra time on the front foot and almost scored when Afobe nicked in-between Smith and Pearce and went close to squeezing the ball home.

Minutes later Danny Ward tested Jalal with a long range half-volley, which was well collected by the Cherries 'keeper.

SUBS - Lee Clark made his second change of the game in the 94th minute of the game when an injured looking Lee Peltier was replaced by Antony Kay. At the same time Bradbury made his second change of the game replacing goalscorer Lovell with Michael Symes.

BOOKING - A brilliant break away by Gary Roberts forced Adam Smith to hack him down 20 yards out from goal in the 98th minute.

GOAL - The Cherries scored the fifth goal of the game in the 104th minute when Danny Ings met Marc Pugh's cross with a well directed headed which left Ian Bennett with no chance. The left winger collected the ball and delivered a perfect cross, before Hunt could make a block, which landed precisely on the head of Ings who duly obliged in guiding the ball past Benno.

BOOKING - Danny Ings was shown a yellow card for 'over celebrating' following his header.

GOAL - Town equalised in the 105th minute through a bullet header from Town's now central midfielder Antony Kay. Kay met Roberts' left-sided corner with immense power and fired his bullet header past a stranded Shwan Jalal.


BOOKING - Jack Hunt was shown Town's third yellow card of the game for a reckless tackle on Marc Pugh in the 108th minute.

SUB - The Terriers made their final change of the game in the 109th minute when Benik Afobe was substituted for Alan Lee.

RED CARD - Bournemouth's skipper Jason Pearce was shown a straight red for a reckless two-footed tackle on Kevin Kilbane in the 111th minute.

SUB - As a result of Pearce's red card Bradbury made his final change of the game brining on Mathieu Baudry for Danny Ings in the 112th minute.

The impetus was now with Town following Pearce's dismissal and it was showing as the Cherries backline retreated further and further towards Jalal's goal. Despite that, Town were struggling to forge any clear cut openings as the game entered the 117th minute.

Town were laying siege on the Cherries goal and almost scored from a goal mouth scramble in the 120th minute, but somehow Jalal managed to clear the ball.

The Terriers continued to search for a winner but Bournemouth held on resolutely, meaning the game would be decided by a penalty shoot-out.



Penalty One (Bournemouth - Michael Symes) - GOAL

Penalty Two (Town - Lee Novak) - GOAL

Penalty Three (Bournemouth - Liam Feeney) - MISSED

Penalty Four (Town - Danny Ward) - GOAL

Penalty Five (Bournemouth - Anton Robinson) - MISSED

Penalty Six (Town - Kevin Kilbane) - GOAL

Penalty Seven (Bournemouth - Shaun Cooper) - GOAL

Penalty Eight (Town - Antony Kay) - GOAL

Town win 4-2!

Town's team (4-4-2):

Ian Bennett, Gary Naysmith, Peter Clarke (c), Antony Kay, Jack Hunt; Gary Roberts, Kevin Kilbane Lee Peltier (Jamie McCombe 94), Danny Ward; Benik Afobe (Alan Lee 109), Jordan Rhodes (Lee Novak 67)

Substitutes: Nick Colgan, Jamie McCombe, Alan Lee, Lee Novak, Danny Cadamarteri, Scott Arfield, Joey Gudjonsson


Town: Naysmith 14, Kilbane 59, Hunt 108

Bournemouth: McDermott 54, Lovell 90, Smith 98, Ings 104

Gate: 16,444

Away: 1037

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.