Skip to main content


21:42 22nd February 2011


A controversial second half penalty for Dagenham & Redbridge denied Town a win in Greater London this evening after Tom Clarke's first goal of the season had given Lee Clark's side the lead. The better chances fell to the travelling Terriers in front of a great travelling contingent, but after a clever set piece set Town on their way Lee Peltier was penalised for an apparent handball at point blank range to allow Danny Green to equalise after an improved second-half performance from the home outfit. Town, wearing their home shirts with white shorts and socks on the evening, started in their now familiar 4-3-3 formation but with Lee Peltier at centre half after illness struck down Jamie McCombe. Academy graduate Chris Atkinson, 19, was also handed his full debut as part of a central midfield trio. The Terriers had the first shot on target within the first 70 seconds when Roberts and Cadamarteri combined down the left before the latter pulled the ball to the edge of the box for Tom Clarke, who forced veteran 'keeper Tony Roberts into a low save. However, Lee Clark's side got away with one a minute later when Joey Gudjonsson clearly appeared to handle a cross into the box that had been headed towards goal - referee Mr. Scott instead awarding a corner. Anthony Pilkington's low shot from range never troubled the goalkeeper on the stroke of the 8th minute before Tom Clarke put the winger in behind the left back two minutes later; unfortunately for the Terriers his eventual low cross rolled just behind Gary Roberts in the six yard box. The Daggers looked at their most dangerous from set plays and big defender Mark Arber headed well wide under heavy pressure from Kilbane in the 12th minute after Danny Green delivered a pinpoint free-kick into the area. Town then created a great chance through some slick interplay down the right side, but 'keeper Roberts denied them with a great save. Pilkington set Cadamarteri away down the right and his near post cross was headed towards goal by Atkinson, but somehow Roberts clawed the ball away. The ball fell to Gary Roberts, but he volleyed over from the edge of the area. A minute later 'Pilks' ran infield from his right flank and breezed past four defenders, but just as he looked to slide the ball home from 15 yards for a goal of the season contender Roberts pulled off another amazing one handed save. The ever dependable Peter Clarke deflected a useful looking drive from range by Green over the bar at the other end in the 17th minute. Pilkington was taking young left back Ilesanmi apart every time he got the ball and Town were generally using the width well. GOAL - It was from one of Pilkington's direct runs at the left back that the first goal of the game came in the 28th minute. The winger's run forced a covering defender to give away a corner, from which the Terriers worked a clever set piece; Roberts found Gudjonsson with a low pass to the near post and after the Icelander skipped past a challenge he fired the ball towards goal - with Tom Clarke applying the finishing touch from close range for his first of the season. Cadamarteri went close to doubling Town's advantage straight after the restart with a snapshot from the edge of the box, but the ball flew inches wide of the near post. SUB - Dagenham and Redbridge made their first change on the half hour mark, with Damien McCrory replacing the beleaguered Ilesanmi. The dangerous Green's cross-come-shot was watchfully shown wide by the experienced Bennett with seven minutes of the half remaining. Terry McDermott and Lee Clark were busy barking instructions to their side as the first half drew to a close and Town had to survive a number of long throws into the area. BOOKING - Midfielder Solomon Taiwo was shown a yellow card in the 45th minute for a sliding tackle on Kilbane that saw both his feet leave the ground. Town wanted a penalty in added time when Danny Cadamarteri's snapshot looked to hit an arm, but in the end they had to be happy with a single goal lead at the interval. HALF-TIME: DAGENHAM & REDBRIDGE 0 HUDDERSFIELD TOWN 1 Town earned an early corner in the opening minute of the second half but wasted the opportunity; however, they were putting immediate pressure on the Dagenham defenders. However left winger Darren Currie looped a header over from range in the 49th minute to remind the Terriers that the Daggers carried an attacking threat. Town went very close to extending their lead in the 54th minute when Pilkington laid the ball off to the overlapping Hunt on the right side; his cross found the run of Gary Roberts at the back post and from a very acute angle the Liverpudlian drilled a volley against the inside of the near post, with the ball rolling to safety. Dagenham were then awarded what looked like a harsh penalty when striker Jon Nurse's shot apparently hit the hand of Lee Peltier from around half a yard - with all the players looking aghast at the award. GOAL - Right winger Danny Green stepped up and blasted the ball down the middle of the goal to restore parity in the scoreline. The home side went very close to taking the lead for the first time in the game when a right wing cross flashed across the face of goal in the 64th minute - narrowly evading striker Nurse, who was lurking for a tap-in. SUBS - Lee Clark made his first change in the 66th minute, with Benik Afobe replacing Cadamarteri in attack. At the same time the home side replaced Bas Savage with Marvin Morgan. Big defender Arber fired over from a corner as the home side continued to probe, but at the other end it took a great tackle from centre back Doe to deny substitute Afobe a clear chance with 18 minutes left. SUB - Clark then introduced Jordan Rhodes to the game in the 74th minute - he replaced Atkinson as Town switched to 4-4-2. Both sides were looking for a winner as the final ten minutes approached, with Bennett saving Arber's back post header before Afobe's goalbound header from a Gary Roberts cross was tipped over well by the goalkeeper. Rhodes headed wide from another pinpoint Hunt cross in the 85th minute and then Town started to really pressurise; first Roberts hit the post with a curler from the right side and when Pilkington recycled the ball into the area, Afobe's volley drifted inches wide of the near post. Green tested Bennett with another low long range drive moments later before Rhodes drove at the home defence and forced Roberts into another good save down to his right side. BOOKING - Abu Ogogo was booked in the final minute of the game for a cynical tackle from behind on Gary Roberts as he tried to break. A late injury time header from Peter Clarke drifted agonisingly wide in front of the away fans, but it just wasn't to be for the Terriers. FULL TIME: DAGENGHAM & REDBRIDGE 1 HUDDERSFIELD TOWN 1 Town's Team (4-3-3): Ian Bennett; Kevin Kilbane, Peter Clarke (c), Lee Peltier, Jack Hunt; Joey Gudjonsson, Tom Clarke, Chris Atkinson (Jordan Rhodes 74); Gary Roberts, Danny Cadamarteri (Benik Afobe 66), Anthony Pilkington Unused Subs: Nick Colgan, Scott Arfield, Alan Lee, Lee Novak, Leigh Franks Dag & Red Bookings: Solomon Taiwo (45), Abu Ogogo (90) Attendance: 2,336 Town: 616
    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.