Skip to main content


16:56 27th November 2010


Town progressed to the Third Round of the FA Cup with a comprehensive 6-0 victory over League Two Macclesfield Town on a chilly November afternoon.

Six different players graced the scoresheet during a complete performance and the Terriers can now look forward to a potential big-name clash in the next stage of the competition.

The first chance of the game fell to the Terriers in the 3rd minute when left back Graham Carey played a superb sixty yard pass into the path of Anthony Pilkington, who brought the ball down brilliantly with his first touch. 'Pilks' crossed low into the six yard box, but neither striker was on hand to tap the ball home.

Carey's cross-come-shot arrowed straight into the hands of Macclesfield 'keeper Jose Veiga minutes later before the Irishman was involved once more in the 6th minute once Rhodes had been fouled by Ross Draper. Carey played a quick one-two with Gary Roberts to find space down the left flank and crossed to the near post where Benik Afobe headed a presentable chance wide of the post.

The Terriers absolutely bossed possession in the opening quarter of an hour without forcing Veiga into a testing save, but the Cape Verde international's goal looked in threat in the 16th minute when Pilkington found the pacey Afobe with a ball down the channel. Unfortunately the striker handled the ball as he outmuscled defender Paul Morgan and was penalised.

GOAL - Town did take the lead in the 19th minute when top scorer Jordan Rhodes netted his 11th of the season thanks to a good move down the left side. Benik Afobe held the ball up well before allowing Gary Roberts to take control of the ball and surge down the wing; the Liverpudlian raced clear and looked up before sending an early cross towards the near post where Rhodes beat Veiga with a downward header to the 'keeper's right side.

Rhodes was back in action again barely a minute after the first goal, collecting an infield pass before using Afobe's forward run as a decoy to slide a pass to the onrushing Antony Kay. The midfielder tried to curl the ball around the custodian from the edge of the box, but couldn't find the angle and the goalie collected.

Town's next effort on goal came from the unlikely source of Jamie McCombe, who had wondered forward in open play. Kay's ball to the right for Pilkington allowed the in-form winger to cross into the box, but the big defender's header was gathered in by Veiga at the second attempt.

Lee Peltier drove the ball across the face of goal in the 27th minute as Lee Clark's side continued to dominate.

Macclesfield skipper Morgan went very close to putting the ball through his own net seconds later after Pilkington crossed into the box once again - he diverted the ball inches wide of the post at full stretch. From the resulting Carey corner, Jamie McCombe was very close to getting his head to what would have been a certain goal.

Pilkington then smashed a long range free-kick well wide of goal after Afobe had been brought down on the half hour mark.

GOAL - Town scored a superb second goal in the 35th minute of the game, with Anthony Pilkington breaking double figures for the season. Lee Peltier started the move, playing the ball down the right channel for the run of Benik Afobe; the Arsenal loanee cleverly back-heeled the ball into the path of the winger, who drove infield before sending an unstoppable shot past the 'keeper and into the far corner from the edge of the box.

Macclesfield's best chance of the game to date came shortly after the restart from a Lewis Chalmers long throw; the ball found its way to the feet of striker Tyrone Barnett, but he volleyed the ball very wide when well positioned.

Damien Johnson volleyed straight at the keeper from 25 yards out soon after as normal service was resumed and then Kay's acrobatic volley inside the area was saved after Rhodes' shot was deflected into the air.

The Silkmen created a chance just before half-time thanks to a good passage of play involving Colin Daniel and Tyrone Barnett, but the former's cross was turned wide at full stretch by Ross Draper.

GOAL - Town made it three on the stroke of half time when Benik Afobe scored his first goal on home soil for his loan club. Peltier played a good pass into the feet of Jordan Rhodes on the edge of the box before driving forward and collecting the return; he then looked up and slipped the ball into the area, where Afobe poked the ball between Veiga's legs as he came out to close down the angle.


It looked like Jordan Rhodes was going to add to his own goal tally just two minutes into the second half when Gary Roberts chipped a cross to the back post, but he barged into a defender in order to get onto the header and was penalised by referee Boyeson.

GOAL - However, it didn't take long for Town to extend their lead when Jamie McCombe netted a trademark header from a corner in the 49th minute. Jordan Rhodes won the set-piece on the right side, allowing Graham Carey to trot across and whip a superb ball towards the near post where the 6' 6" tall centre back glanced a header inside the far post.

Macclesfield defender Aristote Nsiala went close with a powerful header that flashed over the crossbar on the stroke of the 51st minute

GOAL - AntonyKay then got in on the act in the 54th minute when he netted his first and Town's fifth of the afternoon. The move originated with Lee Peltier once again, who charged down the right side before cutting infield as he reached the edge of the box; 'Pelts' overran the ball slightly as he did that, but it rolled perfectly into the path of the onrushing midfielder who expertly slammed the ball into the bottom right corner from 20 yards out.

SUBS - Macclesfield made two changes in the 56th minute, with Vinny Mukendi and Carl Tremarco replacing Tyrone Barnett and Colin Daniel.

Rhodes sent a curler into the hands of Veiga from range in the 58th minute as the Terriers continued their domination and then the striker dummied his way past former Town defender Nat Brown brilliantly inside the area before shooting, with Veiga turning the ball around the post.

Jordan was suddenly everywhere and went very close to scoring his second of the game a minute leader, heading Carey's superb ball into the box inches wide of the 'keeper's right hand post.

SUB - Macclesfield made their final change at the same time, replacing Reid with Matthew Hamshaw.

SUB - Town manager Lee Clark handed a first team debut to first year professional Chris Atkinson in the 62nd minute - he replaced Damien Johnson in central midfield.

Town went very close to capping off a fluent passing move involving Afobe, Roberts and Rhodes in the 66th minute but they tried to pass the ball into the net and 'Robbo's' cross was just too long for Jordan.

Rhodes got his head to another Carey delivery into the box a minute later, but he powered his effort straight at the goalkeeper.

The striker was at the spearhead of every Town attack in the second half and it took an outstanding save from Veiga to deny him a second goal of the game after he turned a Peltier cross towards goal at the back post in the 70th minute.

GOAL - Town scored a simple sixth of the game in the 73rd minute, with Gary Roberts tapping the ballafter an error from ex-Terrier Brown. The Macclesfield vice captain badly misjudged the weight of a back-pass allowing Pilkington to race through on goal and draw the 'keeper before sliding a simple pass to his right for Roberts, who placed the ball into the vacant net.

SUB - Lee Clark made his second and third changes of the game in the 74th minute, with Scott Arfield and Alan Lee replacing Rhodes and Pilkington.

Afobe was then put through on goal by Alan Lee moments later, but the loanee slid his left-footed shot millimetres wide of the far post with the 'keeper beaten.

A good run down the channel from substitute Lee with eleven minutes left led to another chance at goal; the striker laid the ball back to Roberts who crossed to the back post, but Afobe sent a looping header wide of the far post.

Visiting midfielder Paul Bolland then had his team's best chance of the game in the 81st minute - he latched onto a flicked header over the top and got goal side of Peter Clarke, but his shot from just ten yards out brought a tremendous low reaction save out of Alex Smithies.

Another sweeping move involving Lee, Roberts and Afobe ended with the young striker sweeping the ball straight at Veiga from around fourteen yards out.


Town's Team (4-4-2):

Alex Smithies; Graham Carey, Peter Clarke (c), Jamie McCombe, Lee Peltier; Gary Roberts, Antony Kay, Damien Johnson (Chris Atkinson 62), Anthony Pilkington (Scott Arfield 74); Benik Afobe, Jordan Rhodes (Alan Lee 74)

Unused Subs: Ian Bennett, Joey Gudjonsson, Nathan Clarke, Liam Ridehalgh

Gate: 4,924

Visitors: 452

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.