Skip to main content


17:01 18th September 2010


Town launched a tremendous second-half comeback to recover from being two goals to beat visitors Yeovil this afternoon, with big Jamie McCombe netting an impressive brace along the way.

Early first half goals from Dean Bowditch and Paul Huntington had stunned the Town faithful into silence, but Scott Arfield started Town's fight-back within the first four minutes of the second period before the giant defender netted a quick-fire brace - with Gary Roberts completing the scoring with a penalty.

Former Glover Lee Peltier, who had returned to the starting line-up on the afternoon after missing the last game at Leyton Orient due to a family bereavement, showed good alertness inside the third minute to head away a dangerous left wing cross from Andy Welsh.

The visitors started well and striker Dean Bowditch managed to get goal side of the Town defence to reach a through pass, but his path to goal was brilliantly stopped by skipper Peter Clarke who took the ball cleanly with a well judged sliding tackle.

GOAL - Yeovil then took the lead inside the ninth minute to capitalise on their positive start, with Dean Bowditch netting a volley from fifteen yards out. The Glovers worked the ball out to the right side where Captain Craig Alcock sent in a cross and when the ball skimmed the head of Graham Carey it diverted perfectly into the path of the striker, who coolly volleyed home past the stricken Alex Smithies.

Town fought back well after the opening goal and went close in the 13th minute through a well constructed move down the left. Kay worked the ball out to the flank, where Carey found the overlapping Peltier; he turned past full back Alcock before sending a fierce cross into the box that 'keeper Henderson pushed into the air, and although Damien Johnson got to the rebound defender Virgo cleared to safety.

A minute later left winger Carey cut infield and tried his luck with his right foot, but the ball arrowed straight into the waiting hands of the 'keeper.

GOAL - Town fell further behind on the quarter hour mark when big defender Paul Huntington scored from a set-piece. When Scott Arfield brought down Andy Welsh on the Town right, midfielder Gavin Williams stepped up to curl the ball towards the back post where the defender ghosted in and volleyed the ball past Smithies from close range.

BOOKED - Huntington got booked by referee Foster following the Yeovil celebrations for kicking the ball away.

Town looked to have scored a quick-fire response in the 19th minute after Arfield did brilliantly down the right; his run took him from halfway to the by-line and past two Yeovil players, but when he fired the ball across the face of goal a touch from Alan Lee managed to take the ball away from goal rather than towards it!

Lee Clark switched his players around a minute later with Carey reverting to left back, Peltier to the right and Scott Arfield to the right wing.

The dangerous Gavin Williams smashed a 25-yard free kick towards goal in the next minute after Peltier handballed, but Smithies was well behind the ball and gathered it in at the second attempt.

Yeovil were getting plenty of men behind the ball after taking a two goal lead, giving the Terriers some difficulty in breaking them down - and the away side looked dangerous on the counter-attack. It took a brilliant block from Clarke to deny Bowditch another shooting chance in the 28th minute.

At the other end, Clarke headed Carey's right-sided corner well over the bar on the stroke of the half hour.

Damien Johnson was showing good drive on the ball and looked the most likely to create a good chance, but a couple of his crosses were dealt with well by Virgo and Huntington. Lee Novak then tried his luck from long range, but the ball flew over the crossbar.

A Yeovil defender did well to deflect McCombe's 38th minute header over the bar after Carey delivered a typically dangerous free-kick into the box.

Yeovil custodian Henderson then had to claw a deep Roberts cross to safety a minute later and although McCombe managed to scoop the ball back towards the penalty area, it was eventually cleared to safety.

Scott Arfield had the last shot of the first half, sending a 25-yard drive wide of the 'keeper's right-hand post in added time.


SUB - Town made a substitution during the interval, with Joey Gudjonsson replacing Antony Kay in central midfield.

BOOKING - Yeovil skipper Craig Alcock was booked in the 49th minute for upending Graham Carey down the left flank.

GOAL - From Carey's free kick, the Terriers gave themselves a chance with a 49th minute goal from Scott Arfield. The free-kick ricocheted around the Glovers area and fell to the Scotsman on the edge of the box, who confidently stepped up and smashed the ball into the far corner with the outside of his favoured right boot. Fresh from his first Town goal at Orient last weekend, it was an impressive finish.

Town were buoyed by the goal and went very close to a second just two minutes later. Arfield broke free down the right flank and drove towards the dead ball line before firing the ball across the face of goal for Alan Lee to turn home - but amazingly Henderson got down to block the close range shot as Town fans were ready to celebrate.

Peltier soon smashed a left-foot shot straight at Henderson before Johnson screwed a 25-yard drive wide of the far post as Town continued to press.

Town looked to have a certain penalty shout turned down in the 56th minute when Arfield poked the ball forward in the area - the ball looked to strike the hand of the diving defender, but despite being well positioned the referee turned down the massive appeals from the Town team.

Henderson did well to punch away Carey's superb free-kick into the box in the 57th minute as the Terriers made more of the running.

SUB - Yeovil introduced Luke Ayling to the game a minute later; he replaced Andy Welsh.

BOOKING - Graham Carey was shown Town's first yellow card on the hour mark for tripping a Yeovil player in the centre circle.

Town hit the crossbar barely a minute later through striker Alan Lee. Gary Roberts did excellently down the left, turning Alcock inside out after picking up a low forward pass from Carey; he then stood up a cross that big striker Lee ran onto, but his powerful header hit the woodwork with the 'keeper stranded. The ball dropped to the edge of the area, but Johnson couldn't keep his follow-up well.

GOAL - Town finally equalised in the 66th minute through giant defender Jamie McCombe. Carey andRoberts worked a clever free-kick in the right hand corner after Novak had drawn a foul and when 'Robbo' sent the ball into the box, McCombe towered above his marker at the near post and powered a header into the far corner.

SUB - Lee Clark introduced Jordan Rhodes in the same minute; he replaced Alan Lee.

BOOKING - Owain Tudur Jones was booked in the 68th minute for tripping Rhodes after he had left him for dead with a clever turn.

GOAL - The comeback was complete a minute later when Jamie McCombe scored a tremendous Town third - his second in as many minutes. From the free-kick that Town earned down the left, Lee Novak flicked on the ball on the edge of the box where the defender held off a Yeovil player before turning towards goal and sending a superb low shot past the 'keeper's right side to put his side ahead.

The game was flowing at a tremendous pace and Town earned a penalty in the 75th minute when Arfield's pass into the area was handled by a Yeovil man.

GOAL - Up stepped the ever reliable Gary Roberts to send the goalkeeper the wrong way and extend Town's lead to two goals.

SUB - Yeovil replaced midfielder Tudur Jones with striker Luke Freeman in the same minute.

A flowing passing move, consisting of around twenty passes and flowing all the way across the pitch, ended with Peltier firing another dangerous cross across the face of goal but Novak put the ball over under heavy pressure from two defenders and the goalkeeper.

BOOKING - Lee Peltier was booked in the 85th minute for a cynical trip on left back Nathan Smith.

SUB - Town were forced into a third substitution in the 89th minute due to an injury sustained by Graham Carey due to a challenge by Bowditch; his replacement was Liam Ridehalgh.

Smithies showed great hands to hold onto Bowditch's 90th minute free kick.

SUB - Yeovil made their final change in added time, with Ed Upson replacing Gavin Williams.


Town's Team (4-4-2):

Alex Smithies; Lee Peltier, Peter Clarke (c), Jamie McCombe, Scott Arfield; Graham Carey (Liam Ridehalgh 89), Antony Kay (Joey Gudjonsson 46), Damien Johnson, Gary Roberts; Alan Lee (Jordan Rhodes 67), Lee Novak

Unused Subs: Ian Bennett, Joe Garner, Anthony Pilkington, Lee Croft

Town Bookings: Graham Carey (60), Lee Peltier (85)

Yeovil Bookings: Paul Huntington (16), Craig Alcock (49), Owain Tudur Jones (68)

Gate: 13,479

Away: 165

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.