Skip to main content


17:56 11th September 2010


A first Town goal for Scott Arfield and a fifth of the season from top scorer Jordan Rhodes gave Lee Clark's side an important three points on the road at Leyton Orient this afternoon. Scottish under-21 international Arfield netted the first inside three minutes to set a very well organised Town side on the way and when substitute Rhodes netted a second with around twenty minutes to go it looked all over, only for a stunning goal from Dean Cox to give Town fans a few nervous moments until the final whistle! Town boss Lee Clark had made four changes going into the game, with international duo Arfield and Carey returning to the starting line-up alongside Joe Garner and Damien Johnson. Plymouth loanee Johnson partnered Kay in central midfield, giving the Terriers a particularly robust and solid look down the spine of the team. GOAL - Clark's side were on top in the opening stages and took the lead through a smartly worked set-piece in the third minute. Garner was flattened in the right hand corner by defender Ben Chorley and although it looked like Carey would cross the ball into the area, he found Scott Arfield on the edge of the Orient box with a low pass. The Scottish under-21 international still had a lot to do, but without taking a touch he cleverly curled the ball into the far corner - way beyond the reach of 'keeper Jamie Jones - to register his first goal in Town colours since his summer move from Falkirk. The home side tried to fight back, but it was the impressive Terriers who had the next shot at goal in the 7th minute. Garner did well to rise above O's skipper Dawson in midfield to nod the ball right to Roberts and after driving infield the winger slipped a good ball into the path of Alan Lee. The big striker hit a decent low shot towards goal from the edge of the area, but Jones gathered it in comfortably at the second attempt. Orient registered their first attempt in the 11th minute after striker Revell crossed to the back post, but Scott McGleish could only glance a header well wide under heavy pressure from left back Ridehalgh. Big defender McCombe blocked a shot from Revell on the edge of the box shortly afterwards after more good work down the left from the home side. The aerial prowess of Lee was causing Orient's big defender Chorley all kinds of issues in the early stages, but both sides were trying to play good passing football on the ground - making it an entertaining game to watch. Former Brighton wide man Dean Cox blasted high and wide from long range in the 17th minute as Russell Slade's men continued to press. The home side played an interesting formation; basically a 4-4-2, they had no right winger - instead playing Cox wide on the left and the duo of Chambers and Dawson just in front of the deep-lying Matthew Spring. Town had obviously done their homework though, as Joe Garner was keeping a close eye on former Leeds man Spring when Town were out of possession. The only time that Spring found space was in the 19th minute, but he drove the ball powerfully wide from range. Town were back on the attack a minute later, with Lee looping a header over the crossbar from Arfield's right wing cross. Just moments afterwards Graham Carey found space down the left and powered a low ball across the face of goal, but 'keeper Jones did well to gather the ball in. Orient earned another free-kick in the 23rd minute after Clarke pushed McGleish in the back, but Revell nodded Spring's delivery comfortably wide at the back post. The home side were enjoying the majority of possession as the half hour mark approached, but could not break down Lee Clark's well organised outfit. Lee's power was still causing issues at the other end, but when he found Irishman Carey with a 27th minute knock-down he uncharacteristically slammed a volley way over the bar from thirty yards out. At the other end, Clarke made a great interception to deny Revell a shooting chance a minute later before Jamie McCombe pulled off a similarly impressive block to deny strike partner McGleish a chance to pull the trigger inside the Town area in the 32nd minute. New Orient loan signing Andy Frampton went down after a robust clash with big Alan Lee in the 34th minute and required treatment from the home physio. However, he managed to continue. Alex Smithies will have had his heart in his mouth in the 37th minute when he came out to clean up a long pass from Dean Cox - the ball bounced over his head and into the path of onrushing midfielder Stephen Dawson. Luckily for Town, Jamie McCombe had read the situation perfectly and got back to nod the ball to safety. BOOKING - Dean Cox was booked for dissent by high profile referee Andy D'Urso in the 40th minute. Orient's best chance of the game so far came in the 42nd minute when the impressive Revell played a clever one-two to escape the attention of Peter Clarke, but somehow his excellent low ball across the face of goal evaded Dawson and McGleish at the far post before drifting wide. Town crafted a late chance when a dangerous free-kick into the box from Carey hit a defender and looped up into the air, but skipper Peter Clarke got his header wrong and looped the ball over the crossbar. HALF-TIME: LEYTON ORIENT 0 HUDDERSFIELD TOWN 1 SUB - Leyton Orient made one substitution during the interval - with Andy Frampton failing to properly recover from his injury, Jimmy Smith replaced him. Smithies had to be on hand early on to claim McGleish's cross, but the Terriers launched the first attack of note in the 48th minute when Kay's clever ball down the left channel released Garner into space. Roberts eventually crossed into the box for Lee and when 'keeper Jones spilled the ball under pressure it eventually found its way back to Roberts. However, his shot was claimed by the recovering Jones at his near post. Carey's cross flashed across the face of goal soon afterwards with McCombe nearby, but much like Revell's effort for the home side towards the end of the first half nobody could get a touch. Having registered his first Town goal already in the game, Scott Arfield went inches away from doubling his tally in the 53rd minute - picking up a flick-on from Antony Kay before volleying just over the bar from 25 yards out with the goalkeeper beaten. Second year pro Liam Ridehalgh showed excellent reading of the game a minute later to cut off Revell's path to goal after a smart one-two between the Orient strikers, sweeping up behind Peter Clarke and clearing to safety. Arfield then drilled a superb low ball across the six yard box in the 56th minute after great build-up play involving Gary Roberts, but nobody was on hand to tap the ball home. SUB - Town replaced Joe Garner with Lee Novak in the 57th minute in their first substitution. Carey clashed with replacement right back Smith just after the hour mark after the pair challenged for Kay's cross-field pass, but after treatment from physio Dave Buckby he could continue. SUB - Lee Clark made his second change in the 63rd minute, with Jordan Rhodes replacing Lee. Clark had changed the shape of his side slightly during the interval, as it was now Gary Roberts' job to look after playmaker Spring - the winger having moved to a position just behind the two strikers. Skipper Clarke blocked a speculative shot from Cox in the 67th minute as Orient tried to find an equaliser. With over six hundred Yorkshireman chanting 'Lee Clark's Barmy Army', the Terriers switched to a diamond in midfield with Kay at the base behind Carey, Johnson and the more advanced Roberts. Smithies made his first save of the game in the 72nd minute when McGleish volleyed a right wing cross towards goal - sticking out his right hand to deflect the ball over his own crossbar. Spring delivered the set-piece towards the back post when Chorley rose above McCombe, but he powered his effort comfortably over the crossbar. SUB - Town made their final substitution in the 73rd minute when Joey Gudjonsson replaced Carey. Determined midfield play from Antony Kay saw him win a 50-50 with defender Forbes and give a simple pass to Gudjonsson, who threaded the ball through the vacant gap to find the run of Gary Roberts. The midfielder advanced on goal but just as he looked to shoot the presence of Chorley was enough to force 'Robbo' into shooting wide. SUB - Orient replaced midfielder Spring with Ryan Jarvis in the 77th minute. GOAL - Town extended their lead in the 78th minute, with substitute Jordan Rhodes netting his fifth of an already impressive season. The striker won a corner down the left and although Gudjonsson's intended target was the big frame of Jamie McCombe at the near post, the ball dropped to the forward who took a touch before shooting left-footed towards goal. The ball took a deflection off a defender en route to goal, taking the ball beyond the reach of the goalkeeper and into the far corner. GOAL - However, Orient gave themselves a lifeline just two minutes later through a fabulous Dean Cox strike. A long ball towards the Town area was headed down by big striker Revell, allowing the diminutive midfielder to stride onto the ball and hit an unstoppable volley into the top left corner of Alex Smithies' goal. Town came close to sealing the game with a third in the 83rd minute when Roberts' right foot cross was nodded back across goal by Rhodes at the back post, but Lee Novak missed the ball with his attempted overhead kick just outside the six yard box. They came even closer a minute later from another Gudjonsson corner, this time from the right side; McCombe powered onto the ball and sent a header crashing towards goal, but the ball cannoned back off the crossbar and fell to safety. SUB - Orient made their final change in the 86th minute when McGleish was replaced by midweek signing James Walker in attack. BOOKING - Liam Ridehalgh was given the first yellow card of his professional career a minute later for scything down the new substitute. Town skipper Peter Clarke came to the rescue in the final minute of the game after another impressive piece of skill from Cox had created the space for him to fire the ball across the area. An Orient player turned the ball towards goal and after a combination of McCombe and Smithies had blocked the original effort, the ball looped towards goal and only the last ditch clearance from Clarke prevented the ball from crossing the line. The fourth official gave four minutes of added time at the end of the second half, but although Orient threw the ball into the box the Terriers defended stoutly and took all three points home. FULL TIME: LEYTON ORIENT 1 HUDDERSFIELD TOWN 2 Town's Team (4-4-2):   Alex Smithies; Liam Ridehalgh, Peter Clarke (c), Jamie McCombe, Scott Arfield; Graham Carey (Joey Gudjonsson 73), Damien Johnson, Antony Kay, Gary Roberts; Alan Lee (Jordan Rhodes 63), Joe Garner (Lee Novak 57) Unused Subs: Ian Bennett, Lee Croft, Chris Atkinson, Aidan Chippendale Town booking: Liam Ridehalgh (87) Leyton Orient booking: Dean Cox (40) Attendance: 3,918 Town: 603
    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.