Skip to main content


16:59 4th September 2010


Two quick-fire goals either side of the half-time whistle from Antony Kay and Gary Roberts looked to have set Town on the way to victory following an early goal from visitors Bournemouth, but the Cherries pegged the Terriers back again in the second half to share the points.

Town's supporters were in great voice early on and their side created the first chance of note in the 2nd minute when Lee Peltier's long free-kick into the area was flicked on by the head of Alan Lee. Unfortunately, Jamie McCombe was held off the ball by a defender and 'keeper Jalal was able to gather the ball in.

Smithies was on hand to gather in a decent cross from winger Feeney soon afterwards as the Cherries launched their first attack of note.

The Terriers launched another long free-kick into the area in the 8th minute after Gudjonsson was smashed by Bartley, but Lee scuffed a left foot volley well wide.

Town were using the right wing to good effect in the early stages, with Anthony Pilkington - back from his recent ankle injury - seeing a lot of the ball and delivering a few decent crosses that Bournemouth dealt with.

Town custodian Smithies did well again in the 17th minute, tipping away another dangerous delivery from the by-line by Feeney with a striker lurking at the back post.

Lee Clark's side were struggling to pass the ball through midfield as they like to do given Bournemouth's 4-5-1 formation. Lee was doing well at holding the ball up, but the Cherries were a well organised and confident side.

BOOKING - Anton Robinson was shown a yellow card in the 26th minute for a cynical tackle from behind on Gary Roberts that sent the winger sprawling.

Smithies made an excellent reaction save in the 28th minute from an away corner; the ball dropped to the near post where it was stabbed towards goal by a visiting player, but the 'keeper pushed the ball away instinctively.

Moments later Peter Clarke pulled off an excellent tackle on McQuoid inside his own area.

BOOKING - Gary Roberts was shown a yellow card in the 31st minute for a pull on Robinson's shirt.

GOAL - AFC Bournemouth then scored the opening goal of the game in the 33rd minute through Josh McQuoid. The striker received a pass from midfield after Marvin Bartley robbed Joey Gudjonsson of possession inside his own half and stepped inside onto his favoured right side before hitting a curler towards goal; the ball took a slight deflection off Jamie McCombe's outstretched boot, diverting it right into the far corner and beyond the reach of Alex Smithies.

The Cherries continued to press following the opener, with the dangerous Feeney - now on the left side for a brief stint - crossing deep to the back post where a player charged in and planted the ball into the outside of the side netting.

Town's best chance of the half came in added time when Peltier nutmegged a defender on the dead ball line and crossed low into the box, but Rhodes' shot was blocked behind for a corner on the line.

GOAL - From that corner, Town grabbed an equaliser that lifted the mood of the majority of the Stadium. Gary Roberts delivered the ball to the far post where midfielder Antony Kay rose beautifully to power a header past the goalkeeper's right hand side to restore parity in the scoreline.


Town came out with renewed vigour in the second half and were soon awarded a penalty - the ball was dribbled into the area by a determined Antony Kay and when Gary Roberts took over possession, he was tripped by a defender and the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot.

GOAL - Town took the lead for the first time in the game in the 48th minute when Gary Roberts scored from the penalty spot. The winger stepped up and sent 'keeper Shwan Jalal the wrong way to net his second in consecutive weeks and sent the home crowd into raptures.

Town were buoyed by their early second half goal and, with the backing of the fans, Lee Clark's side went on the attack. Lee volleyed well over from range in the 52nd minute before a beautiful cross-field ball from Pilkington was just too long for Roberts as he looked to take it in his stride towards goal.

Skipper Peter Clarke was then inches away from volleying home an excellent ball into the area from young Liam Ridehalgh after Gudjonsson's corner was well cleared at the near post.

After that period of total Town dominance, the game settled down as the hour mark approached. Town defended a Bournemouth corner well before the first substitution of the game.

SUB - Lee Clark introduced striker Lee Novak to the game in the 62nd minute - he replaced Jordan Rhodes.

Town immediately went on the attack, with new boy Novak finding Roberts wide on the left with a clever flick. Roberts tormented right back Lee Bradbury before firing a low ball across goal but at the far post Alan Lee turned the ball against the outside of the post at full stretch.

Bournemouth had the ball in the net from a wide free-kick soon afterwards, but the goal was immediately ruled out for offside.

SUB - Bournemouth made their first change in the 64th minute, with Danny Hollands replacing Bradbury.

Novak's header from Roberts' decent 72nd minute cross never troubled Jalal, but was the end product of more good work from Clark's side.

SUB - The Cherries replaced Shaun Cooper with Harry Arter in the 73rd minute.

Town were handed a reprieve a minute later when Hollands picked out the midfield run of Marc Pugh, who had broken the offside trap; his touch was poor and the ball ran straight through to Alex Smithies, who had taken up a good position inside his area.

SUB - Lee Croft was introduced as Town's second sub in the 76th minute, replacing Anthony Pilkington.

GOAL - Bournemouth scored an equaliser in the 79th minute when Marc Pugh netted a good back post header. Determined play from Robinson down the right gave sub Arter the opportunity to deliver the ball into the box with the outside of his right boot, but the winger still had a lot to do to and generated good power and direction with his header to steer the ball past the outstretched Smithies' left hand.

McCombe's weak header from Gudjonsson's 82nd minute free kick fell straight into the waiting hands of Jalal soon after the goal

It looked like Town had won the game when Joey's determined header wasn't cut out by defender Pearce, but Lee Novak's powerful volley was brilliantly turned around the right hand post by goalkeeper Jalal - much to the delight of his teammates.

Substitute Arter fired wide late on from range and at the other end Lee powered Peltier's cross over the crossbar with his head. Novak the collected a Lee knock-down in the penalty area, only to see his volley blocked well by Pearce.

BOOKING - Peter Clarke was booked late on when his momentum carried him through the back of Hollands.

SUB - Liam Feeney was replaced by Warren Cummings in the last action of the game.


Town's Team (4-4-2):

Alex Smithies; Liam Ridehalgh, Peter Clarke (c), Jamie McCombe, Lee Peltier; Gary Roberts, Joey Gudjonsson, Antony Kay, Anthony Pilkington (Lee Croft 76); Alan Lee, Jordan Rhodes (Lee Novak 62)

Unused Subs: Ian Bennett, Joe Garner, Damien Johnson, Chris Atkinson, Aidan Chippendale

Town Bookings: Gary Roberts (31), Peter Clarke (90)

AFC Bournemouth Booking: Anton Robinson (26)

Gate: 12,426

Visitors: 304

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.