Skip to main content


17:02 14th August 2010


Town were held to a goalless draw by a resolute Tranmere in the opening home game of the 2010/11 npower League One season.

Lee Clark's side bossed possession for the most part on a sunny evening at the Stadium, but couldn't find the cutting edge that had served them so well at Notts County a week earlier.

Gary Naysmith was sent off late on for the Terriers for a second bookable offence but it was still the Terriers who made the running, with the best chance falling to substitute Theo Robinson in the second half and impressive midfielder Scott Arfield going close in the first after a surging run.

Tranmere's former Leeds striker Enoch Showumni was the first man to try his luck in the second minute after picking up the ball to the left of Alex Smithies' goal, but he sent his left footed shot wide of the near post.

A good break down the Town left ended with the first shot from the home side moments later but Joey Gudjonsson sent his long range pile-driver flying over the bar, but the away side were soon back on the attack and a spectacular 35-yard volley from striker Terry Gornell had to be stopped by a slightly surprised Smithies, who gathered the ball in at the second attempt.

Tranmere started the game very impressively, but Town created a good chance in the 12th minute when Jordan Rhodes' run was abruptly stopped by centre back Wood. Up stepped Joe Garner to strike the free-kick on the edge of the box, but his effort hit a player in the wall and bounced to safety.

Gudjonsson then delivered a wicked free-kick into the near post three minutes later after Goodison had fouled Garner and after a defender did well to clear, McCombe flicked a looping header into the hands of the goalkeeper from Naysmith's return cross.

The battle between Garner and veteran Goodison was already intriguing, with the striker winning a cheap corner off the Jamaican international moments later as he tried to shepherd the ball across the dead ball line. A defender did well to clear Roberts' corner delivery at the near post, with Pilkington blazing the follow-up into the visiting fans behind the goal.

Town custodian Smithies got lucky in the 22nd minute when his attempted clearance hammered into the massive Showumni, with the ball ricocheting just wide of his near post.

Lee Clark's side then went close to the opener when Roberts set Peltier away down the right flank, but his cross flashed across the face of goal with no one on hand to get the vital touch.

The Terriers went even closer in the 29th minute through Jordan Rhodes. Gary Roberts did the hard work, closing down left-back Cresswell in possession and blocking the ball into the path of the striker; he took on the shot first time and forced young 'keeper Collister into a good save low to his right hand side.

The ball fell to Pilkington out on the left, who beat one man before crossing to the near post where Garner fired over courtesy of a deflection.

Huddersfield were starting to turn the screw by this stage and Arfield set off on an enterprising run a minute later than took him into the area past three players, but he placed his shot just wide from a narrow angle.

The rest of the half was played out in Tranmere's half, with McCombe scooping a shot on the turn over the bar from Gudjonsson's corner in the 36th minute before Collister did well to claim the ball ahead of Jordan Rhodes when Garner flicked on a cross from Pilkington.

Rhodes looked sharp and flashed another great cross just past the far post with seven minutes of the half remaining as the Terriers continued to press.

BOOKING - In the two minutes of added time, centre back Nick Wood was shown a yellow card for his second foul of the game - a trip on Scott Arfield as he tried to break through.


The Terriers kicked off in the second half attacking the Fantastic Family Stand and the wind had picked up. Although Peter Clarke and co bossed possession in the opening stages, Tranmere were effectively killing off the final ball.

Scott Arfield had the first shot at goal of the second half, looping a long range volley miles over the crossbar after Gudjonsson's near post cross had been cleared at the near post.

BOOKING - Enoch Showumni was shown the second yellow card of the game in the 59th minute after cleaning out Peter Clarke's legs right in front of the dugouts.

SUB - Lee Clark decided to make a change in the 61st minute, replacing Joe Garner with the ever-popular Lee Novak.

SUB - Tranmere followed suit, with Paul McLaren replaced by Frenchman Maxime Blanchard.

BOOKING - Scottish international Gary Naysmith was the first Town player to see yellow in the 65th minute after a mistimed slide tackle on Joss Labadie.

Labadie fired over from the edge of the box soon afterwards in a rare Tranmere effort.

SUB - Town made their second change in the 70th minute, bringing on Theo Robinson for Rhodes.

SUB - The final substitution soon followed when Damien Johnson replaced Arfield to make his home debut.

SUB - Tranmere soon made their second change with new signing Kayleden Brown replacing Showumni.

The Town faithful tried to rally the troops as the final ten minutes approached and another Gudjonsson corner caused more problems for the Tranmere defence, although they coped admirably in the end.

One quick throw from Naysmith released Pilkington into space down the left flank and after outpacing Goodison he slid the ball across the face of goal, but the impressive Collister clinched the ball just as substitute Robinson looked to pounce.

Town forced Rovers back into their own penalty area for large periods of the final ten minutes, but one break led to the demise of Gary Naysmith.

SENT-OFF: On his competitive home debut Gary Naysmith was sent off for a second bookable offence, bringing down substitute Brown as Tranmere tried to break following a Town corner.

Robinson fired over from range in the five minutes of added time at the end of the game and the same man looked to have won it for the Terriers in added time after heading Pilkington's ball around the corner towards goal with the 'keeper in no man's land - but somehow he directed his header wide of the far post to leave manager Lee Clark with his head in his hands.


Huddersfield Town (4-4-2):

Alex Smithies; Gary Naysmith, Peter Clarke (c), Jamie McCombe, Lee Peltier; Gary Roberts, Scott Arfield (Damien Johnson 74), Joey Gudjonsson, Anthony Pilkington; Joe Garner (Lee Novak 61), Jordan Rhodes (Theo Robinson 70)

Unused Subs: Ian Bennett, Antony Kay, Lee Croft, Graham Carey

Town Booking: Gary Naysmith (65)

Town Red Card: Gary Naysmith (85)

Tranmere Bookings: Nick Wood (45), Enoch Showumni (59)

Gate: 13,707

Visitors: 608

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.