Skip to main content


18:30 7th May 2011


Town's final game of the regular season was a cracker, with both teams focusing more on attack than defence with three players grabbing braces in a 4-4 draw.

Danny Ward gave the Terriers a two goal lead, however, the Bees responded well and Jeff Schlupp scored either side of half-time to draw level. Town then retook the lead twice through Lee Novak and Benik Afobe, however, on both occasions were pegged back by strikes from Lewis Grabban. Despite Town's late pressure Brentford held out for an entertaining draw.

Town kicked off their final game of the regular season shooting from left to right towards the vocal support of the Pink Link stand.

Brentford ventured forward first, and forced Peter Clarke into a fantastic block tackle in the third minute when Jeff Schlupp found space in the Town penalty area.

The Bees were looking to sting early and were back on the attack moments later through Sam Saunders who played a well directed ball to the back stick. On hand, and unmarked, was Myles Weston whose strike on goal was well parried by Ian Bennett.

Town responded well and went close to hitting the target in the sixth minute when Danny Ward cut in from the right and fired a vicious shot with his left foot.

Joey Gudjonsson was next to try his luck, but again failed to test Simon Moore with an effort from all of 30 yards.

The Terriers began to get a foot hold in the game following the Bees bright spark and finally forced Moore into his first save of the game in the 12th minute; when Danny Ward again cut inside of Sam Wood and unleashed an effort from 20 yards.

GOAL - Town's pressure told in the 15th minute when Danny Ward ran from the half way line and smashed a shot past Moore to give the Terriers the lead. The on loan Bolton winger picked up the ball just inside the Bees half courtesy of misplaced pass from Marcus Bean. Ward had Afobe making a good run ahead of him but instead chose to take on the back tracking Brentford defence and did so with ease. After sliding past Mickey Spillane Ward hit the ball low across Moore from the edge of the area to open the scoring for Town. Ward's goal was Town's 100th of the season in all competitions.

GOAL - Town doubled their advantage a minute later courtesy of Danny Ward's second goal of the game. The winger's marker - Sam Wood - was having a terrible time trying to stay with him and failed again in the 16th minute when Ward picked up a ball from the Terriers defence. Ward collected the ball 30 yards out and with the crowd willing him to shoot he hit an effort from 25 yards, which proved too powerful for Moore to collect and ended up in the back of the net.

Brentford looked shell shocked and were struggling to cope with the wave after wave of Town attacks. Next to go close for the Terriers was Benik Afobe who narrowly missed the target with a header from a Gary Roberts cross.

The Bees had their first effort on goal for around twenty minutes in the 33rd minute when Marcus Bean attempted a speculative effort from 25 yards out. Bennett struggled with the initial shot but managed to eventually palm away the ball for a corner.

Brentford were beginning to find space in their final third and thought they had equalised in the 37th minute when Lewis Grabban slotted home a rebound. Bean took the initial shot from a Schlupp lay off, which was parried into the path of Grabban by Bennett. Grabban reacted sharply and quickly turned the ball into an empty net, however, to his displeasure the official on the far side was flagging for offside.

BOOKING - Lewis Grabban was booked in the 37th minute by referee Bates for showing dissent following his disallowed goal.

Danny Ward was easily Town's biggest threat during the first half and almost completed his hat trick on the stroke of half-time when he again cut inside Wood and fired an effort at Moore's goal. However, on this occasion Moore parried well, and prevented the on loan Bolton man notching his fourth goal in two games.

GOAL - Brentford deservedly found a way back into the game in added on time at the end of the first half. A ball forward by the Bees defence missed its intended target; however, Jeff Schlupp reacted quickest and stole a march on Peter Clarke as he strode into the area. The young German steadied himself after getting past Clarke and neatly hit the ball across Bennett to give the Bees a life-line going into half-time.


SUB - Neither Manager made any changes at half-time, however, minutes into the half Lee Novak was introduced for Jordan Rhodes.

GOAL - The Bees had started the half like they had ended the first and equalised in the 50th minute through another left-footed strike by Jeff Schlupp. The move started through Weston who neatly turned Naysmith and played a ball to the unmarked Schlupp. The striker was intent on getting a strike away and knocked the ball into the box past Jamie McCombe and fired a shot past Bennett, which nestled in the bottom right corner of Town's goal.

GOAL - Brentford's equaliser woke Town up, and in the 52nd minute they retook the lead through substitute Lee Novak. Again, it was Ward who did all the hard work, cutting inside from his right-side berth and testing Moore from 25 yards. The 'keeper again failed to deal with Ward's shot and his parried rebound fell kindly for Novak who calmly side-footed the ball home.

GOAL - The Bees drew level in a massively open second-half when a mistake from Ian Bennett allowed Lewis Grabban to score in front of the away fans. Bennett received a back pass from Lee Novak and decided to clear the ball first time. Sadly, Town's 'keeper sliced the ball which fell to the onrushing Grabban, who quickly controlled the ball and scored before Bennett could make a block.

BOOKING - Robbie Nielson was the next player to be cautioned. The former Hearts defender was booked in the 58th minute for a foul on Benik Afobe.

SUB - Lee Clark made his second change of the game in the 62nd minute when Gary Roberts departed for Jack Hunt.

GOAL - Town restored their lead in the 63rd minute when Benik Afobe tucked away a cross from Danny Ward. The winger had switched to the left following the introduction of Jack Hunt and immediately got at the Bees right-back. After making a yard for himself, Ward swung in a low ball across the box which Brentford failed to deal with. Benik Afobe was the lucky recipient from the Bees slack defending and although he was tightly marked by Karleigh Osborne, he managed to turn the ball home from six yards.

SUB - Nicky Forster made his first change of the game in the 64th minute when Nathan Byrne took the place of Mickey Spillane.

GOAL - The Bees hit back in the 68th minute through Lewis Grabban to make the score 4-4. Grabban and Schlupp had been causing the Town backline problems all game and when Naysmith failed to block a cross from the right; Grabban was on hand to knock the ball home from eight yards.

SUBS - Both Managers made changes in the 74th minute. Firstly, Toumani Diagouraga left the field to be replaced by Adam Reed. Secondly, Benik Afobe came off to a standing ovation to be replaced by Kevin Kilbane.

BOOKED - Town received their first yellow card of the game when Gary Naysmith brought down Sam Saunders in the 80th minute.

SUB - Nicky Forster made his last change of the game when Myles Weston departed for Jake Reeves in the 84th minute.

Town were looking the most likely to snatch a winner and went close twice in a minute from two headers. Firstly, Kevin Kilbane rose highest from a Danny Ward corner, which forced Byrne to make a goal line clearance. Then, seconds later Peter Clarke almost lobbed Moore with a header, which landed on top of the goal.

Town's team (4-4-2):

Ian Bennett, Gary Naysmith, Peter Clarke (c), Jamie McCombe, Lee Peltier; Gary Roberts (Jack Hunt 62), Scott Arfield, Joey Gudjonsson, Danny Ward; Benik Afobe (Kevin Kilbane 74), Jordan Rhodes (Lee Novak 48)

Substitutes: Nick Colgan, Antony Kay, Alan Lee, Hatib Cham


Town: Naysmith 80,

Brentford: Grabban 37, Nielson 58,

Gate: 13,977

Away: 195

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.