Skip to main content


18:02 19th March 2011


Town were held to a stalemate this afternoon against a resolute Swindon outfit. The Terriers hit the bar twice and had numerous other chances to win the game, however, the Robins held on for a valuable point in their fight for survival.

Both Jordan Rhodes and Alan Lee hit the bar as Town searched for a goal; despite the draw it meant Town extend their unbeaten run - their best for 91 years.

Lee Clark made three changes to the side that beat Brentford on Tuesday night with the most notable of those been the introduction of new signing Danny Ward who made his home debut.

Elsewhere, Gary Naysmith replaced Stephen Jordan at left-back and Lee Novak replaced Benik Afobe who dropped to the bench.

Town almost gifted Swindon a goal in the opening minute when Jack Hunt carelessly gave the ball away to Matt Ritchie 30 yards out. The midfielder attacked the retreating Town defence but failed to test Alex Smithies in the Town goal.

The Terriers responded well to their opening scare and Peter Clarke went close in the third minute, but his header from a Gary Roberts corner went narrowly wide.

In the 8th minute of the game Town struck David Lucas' crossbar through Jordan Rhodes following a well directed cross from debutant Danny Ward. Rhodes stooped well to get on the end of Ward's cross from the left and was unlucky to see his effort rebound off the Robins crossbar.

Town continued to pile on the pressure and it took a last minute diving block from Andy Frampton to deny Roberts from 8 yards out.

BOOKING - Scott Arfield received the first caution of the game in the 17th minute when he recklessly brought down Mike Grella.

Lee Clark's men had a lot of the ball during the first twenty minutes; however, they were finding it hard to break down a resolute Robins defence.

David Lucas kept the scores level in the 25th minute when he produced a fine diving save to deny a Roberts effort from the edge of the area. Following an excellent piece of passing play Roberts received the ball twenty yards and arrowed an effort goal bound, which had Lucas diving at full stretch.

BOOKING - Gary Roberts received the second booking of the game in the 26th minute when he was deemed to have dived under a collision with Grella in the Swindon box.

The Terriers went close again in the 28th minute when Tuesday night's match winner - Peter Clarke - had a header cleared of the line by Swindon's Captain Jonathan Douglas.

The Robins defence had to react sharply in the 35th minute to deny Jordan Rhodes a shooting opportunity; the striker turned neatly in the box but was unable to get a shot when Scott Cuthbert intervened expertly.

Town were creating chance after chance during the opening half an hour and went close again in the 37th minute when Jamie McCombe rose highest to meet a Gary Naysmith cross; sadly his header skimmed Swindon's left upright with Lucas rooted to the spot.


Neither manager made a change as the half kicked-off with Town playing from right to left.

Town escaped narrowly in the 48th minute when Matt Ritchie struck the post of Smithies goal following good play from Calvin Andrew. Andrew had done well to shrug of the attentions of McCombe and get to the by-line, before neatly laying off the ball to Ritchie. From 10 yards the winger's mishit shot rebounded of Town's post with Naysmith clearing the immediate danger.

BOOKING - Swindon received their first caution of the game in the 49th minute when Michael Timlin hauled down Danny Ward as the winger tried to break.

Swindon were presented with an excellent opportunity to test Alex Smithies in the 56th when Naysmith fouled Andrews 20 yards out. Alan Sheehan stood over the dead ball but his effort was well dealt with by Town's 'keeper who easily pushed the ball over the bar. The resulting corner was well cleared by Ward.

SUB - Lee Clark made his first change of the game replacing Jordan Rhodes with Danny Cadamarteri in the 60th minute. As a result, 'Cads' made his 350th career appearance.

A good five minute period of pressure almost broke the deadlock for Town. Firstly, some excellent footwork from substitute Danny Cadamarteri allowed the winger to float in ball into Swindon's six yard box, which Ward went close to connecting with. Minutes later David Prutton almost skewed a defensive clearance into his own goal; however, luckily for the former Leeds man Lucas was alive to the danger and caught the ball with ease.

SUB - Paul Hart responded to Lee Clark's change replacing Mike Grella with Kevin Amankwaah in the 62nd minute.

Lee Novak had a superb opportunity to open the scoring courtesy of a wickedly hit cross from the left by Ward. From six yards, all Novak had to do was find the target but his header went well wide of Lucas' goal.

BOOKING - Swindon's Alan Sheehan received his first caution of the game following a cynical block on Danny Ward in the 70th minute.

SUB - Town made their second change of the game in the 73rd minute when Lee Novak came off to be replaced by Benik Afobe.

SUB - Swindon made their second change of the game minutes later when Matt Ritchie left the field to be replaced by Michael Rose.

SUB - As the game entered its closing stages Alan Lee replaced Danny Ward. Lee Clark's change saw 'Cads' move out on to the right wing and Lee partner Afobe upfront.

SUB - Paul Hart made his final change of the game in the 86th minute when Alan Sheehan was replaced with Lecsinel Jean-Francois.

After failing to create any real clear cut chances for around twenty minutes Town went close to nicking it in injury time. A right footed cross from Kilbane was excellently attacked by Alan Lee whose header clipped the cross bar as it went out for a dead ball.

Lee's effort sparked Town into life and they twice thought they had opened the scoring within a minute. Firstly, Peter Clarke thought his effort from six yards had crossed the line and then McCombe with a similar effort thought he had scored - however both were deemed not over the line by referee Sarginson.


Town's team (4-4-2):

Alex Smithies; Gary Naysmith, Peter Clarke (c), Jamie McCombe, Jack Hunt; Gary Roberts, Scott Arfield, Kevin Kilbane, Danny Ward (Alan Lee 83); Lee Novak (Benik Afobe 73), Jordan Rhodes (Danny Cadamarteri 60)

Substitutes: Ian Bennett, Joey Gudjonsson, Liam Ridehalgh, Tom Clarke.


Town: Arfield 17, Roberts 26,

Robins: Timlin 49, Sheehan 70,

Gate: 13,907

Away: 292

Pedal for Pounds Footer

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.