Skip to main content


17:00 19th February 2011


Town's unbeaten start to 2011 in the League continued to today at Dean Court when they battled back from a goal down to earn a draw.

A Michael Symes point blank header had given the Cherries the lead half way through the second half, however, a late Danny Cadamarteri strike meant the spoils were shared.

BOOKING - Mr Phillips was in the action straight away cautioning Town's skipper, Peter Clarke, for a foul on Michael Symes as the Cherries looked to break in the third minute.

Town's 'keeper Ian Bennett had to be on guard early on following the free-kick given away by Clarke. Bournemouth's left-back Rhoys Wiggins stood over the ball and swung in a dangerous looking cross from the left which was missed by everyone, and would have sneaked in the bottom corner if it wasn't for a good reaction save from Town's 'keeper.

Town immediately went on the attack after Bennett's smart save and Town's big centre back Jamie McCombe was unlucky to see his header from 12 yards go wide of Shwan Jalal's goal.

Town won the first corner of the game in the 9th minute following a patient build up through Gary Roberts and Lee Peltier. The latter hit an excellent delivery into the box which had to be cleared sharply by the Cherries defence. The resulting corner - taken by Roberts - was once again defended effectively by the Bournemouth back line.

As the game ticked past the quarter of an hour mark Bournemouth produced their second effort of the game when Jason Pearce headed over from a Liam Feeney corner.

An industrious run from Bournemouth's Marc Pugh in the 19th minute resulted in the midfielder shooting wide from 12 yards. Minutes later, Michael Symes went slightly closer from a similar distance; however, Bennett was once again untroubled in Town's goal.

Town were restricting Bournemouth to only long range shots during the opening half an hour of the game, however, they were finding it hard to sustain any amount of pressure in the final third as a result of some good Bournemouth pressure.

In the 29th minute Town broke their defensive shackles allowing Gary Roberts to fire over a shot from 20 yards. Some neat, intricate play between Kilbane and Gudjonsson opened up the shooting opportunity for the winger who had Jalal scrambling backwards in his goal.

Following some consistent pressure from the Cherries during the early periods of the game Town had fought back impressively and had another effort on goal in the 32nd minute when Peltier headed wide from a delivery down Town's right.

BOOKING - Town received their second booking of the game in the 36th minute when referee Phillips deemed Gary Naysmith to have blocked off the run of Feeney.

Impressive link up play between Bournemouth's front two resulted in Symes heading over a difficult chance in the 37th minute. Symes' strike partner, Danny Ings, worked hard to force a crossing opportunity but sadly for the Cherries his cross was slightly over hit meaning Symes could not produce any downward force on the ball.

BOOKING - Danny Ings went into the referee's book in the 42nd minute after not retreating quickly enough from a Town free-kick.

Bournemouth went close to opening the scoring in the 44th minute when Anton Robinson out-jumped his marker from a Pugh corner and narrowly headed wide of Bennett's left upright.

A fantastic save from Ian Bennett in first half injury time meant that the half ended as a draw. An outstanding leap from Ings beat McCombe and found Pugh with his back to goal on the edge of Town's area. Pugh neatly turned his marker and fired a venomous shot which was matched equally by a superb diving save from Town's stopper.


The first incident of the half involved Peter Clarke and Michael Symes, with the latter coming off worst following a heavy aerial collision - delaying the game for a number of minutes.

Following the incident - which Symes recovered from - Town settled into the half and had the better of the opening exchanges.

SUB - Danny Cadamarteri was introduced into the action in the 52nd minute replacing Alan Lee in attack.

Bournemouth created their first opportunity of the half in the 57th minute but failed to test Bennett with a Feeney volley which went high and wide from 12 yards.

BOOKING - Lee Peltier was Town's third booking of the game after pulling down Pugh, and in doing so halting his marauding run.

SUB - Gary Naysmith pulled up injured in the 61st minute and was replaced by Antony Kay. The switch saw Kevin Kilbane drop to left back and Kay go into the midfield three.

Town had Bennett to thank again in the 62nd minute when he produced an excellent diving save to deny Pugh from a 20 yard free-kick. Town's stopper clawed out the midfielders effort which looked destined for the top corner - the resulting corner was defended well by Town who cleared their lines.

BOOKING - Town's midfield replacement - Antony Kay - went into Mr Phillips book in the 70th minute for a foul on Danny Hollands.

SUB - Lee Clark made his final change of the game in the 73rd minute when Benik Afobe replaced the hard working Anthony Pilkington. Clark's change meant that Cadamarteri moved on to the right wing and allowed Afobe to head up the front three.

GOAL - Bournemouth broke the deadlock in the 74th thanks to close range header from Michael Symes. The striker had been the Cherries biggest goal threat all game and showed clever movement to lose his marker and power home a delivery from the right, to hand Bournemouth the lead.

Symes' goal brought a change in formation for Lee Clark's men. Town reverted to 4-4-2 with Peltier dropping to right-back in place of Jack Hunt who pushed forward into a right midfield position allowing Cadamarteri to partner Afobe in attack.

SUB - Bournemouth's goal scorer Michael Symes was replaced in the 78th minute by Steve Fletcher.

Town recovered well after falling behind and some clever wing play down Town's right from Peltier and Hunt allowed the latter to swing a dangerous ball into the Cherries six yard box, which was headed over by 'Cads' at the back stick.

BOOKING - Joey Gudjonsson was Town's fifth player to go in the book in the 84th minute for a cynical challenge when Bournemouth were looking to break.

SUB - Lee Bradbury made a change in the 86th minute replacing left-back Rhoys Wiggins with Warren Cummings.

GOAL - Town equalised in the 89th minute courtesy of Danny Cadamarteri's second goal for the Club since he re-joined last month. 'Cads' had Roberts to thank for a wonderful through ball which released the striker straight through the middle of the Cherries defence. After steadying himself, 'Cads' slotted the ball through Jalal to send the Town fans into raptures.

BOOKING - Town received another booking straight from the Cherries kick off when Kevin Kilbane was penalised for fouling Feeney.

Town escaped going behind for a second time in the game in injury time when Bennett produced an excellent save with his feet to deny Feeney.


Town's team (4-3-3):

Ian Bennett; Gary Naysmith (Antony Kay 61), Peter Clarke (c), Jamie McCombe, Jack Hunt; Kevin Kilbane, Joey Gudjonsson, Lee Peltier; Gary Roberts , Anthony Pilkington (Benik Afobe 73), Alan Lee (Danny Cadamarteri 52).

Unused subs: Nick Colgan, Jordan Rhodes, Tom Clarke, Lee Novak.


Bournemouth - Ings (42)

Town - Clarke (3), Naysmith (36), Peltier (61), Kay (70), Gudjonsson (84) Kilbane (90)

Attendance: 7923

Away: 758

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.