Skip to main content


17:54 5th February 2011


As second debuts go, Danny Cadamarteri had one to remember at St. James Park this afternoon!

After a battling first half performance from Town in the face of a near gale-force wind, the 31 year-old was brought off the bench by manager Lee Clark and went on to score the first goal of the game after just two minutes on the pitch.

'Cads' then grabbed two assists as Gary Roberts and Anthony Pilkington scored their 10th and 12th goals of the season before Kevin Kilbane finished the game off with Town's fourth late on before a late Exeter consolation.

Lee Clark kept faith with the side that impressively defeated Carlisle United during midweek, whereas Exeter boss Paul Tisdale made seven changes to his side - perhaps with one eye on the Grecians' Johnstone's Paint Trophy Southern Final second leg against Brentford on Monday night.

Town had the first shot at goal within the opening 50 seconds of the game, although it was off target. Gudjonsson was fouled, allowing Hunt to launch a free-kick into the area; the ball was only half cleared to the edge of the area where Kevin Kilbane struck a difficult volley wide of the post.

Exeter winger Golbourne struck a speculative volley way over the bar from long range minutes later but the Terriers were soon back on the attack when McCombe picked out Roberts in space on the left side. 'Robbo' advanced and used the run of Alan Lee as a decoy, instead playing the onrushing Kilbane into the area - but the Irish international's touch was just too heavy and 'keeper Krysiak was able to collect the ball.

Home striker Daniel Nardiello beat Gary Naysmith to a loose ball in the ninth minute and hit a long range strike that was deflected over the bar by the leg of McCombe, with the corner coming to nothing.

Tisdale's side had the strong wind behind them in the first half and at times Town were struggling to effectively clear the ball, but another Hunt free-kick caused havoc in the Exeter area in the 12th minute. The head of Jamie McCombe is an ever reliable target and he beat defender Edwards to the ball to knock it down into the path of Gudjonsson, but he acrobatically volleyed wide from the edge of the box.

Exeter striker Richard Logan then missed the best chance of the game by far on the stroke of the 16th minute after a good spell of pressure from the home side forced a right-sided corner. Midfielder Ryan Harley played the ball into the six yard box where the striker was unmarked, but he totally missed his header and the ball ran harmlessly out for a goal kick.

Lee Clark's men were working very hard out of possession to close their opponents down and McCombe was using every set piece opportunity to get forward and cause problems. A long throw towards him in the 23rd minute fell to Gudjonsson, who forced the 'keeper to turn a powerful volley around the post from an acute angle.

A long throw at the other end fell to the feet of Nardiello just inside the area two minutes later, but he wastefully blasted over when in a bit of space.

The Grecians were enjoying the lion's share of possession during the first half as Town battled against the conditions.

BOOKING - Gary Roberts was shown the first yellow card of the game in the 33rd minute for a late challenge on Nardiello after he had crossed into the area. Harley is an expert from set-pieces and his free-kick was arrowing towards goal, but Peter Clarke showed great bravery to head the ball to safety.

Logan headed a cross from defender Troy Archibald-Henville wide from a very acute angle just over a minute later as the home page continued to search for a breakthrough without success.

Ian Bennett showed great alertness to spring from his line to clear the ball ahead of the lively Logan after a good through ball from Archibald-Henville dissected the Town players - the veteran custodian slid in to clear the ball to safety with his legs.

BOOKING - Anthony Pilkington was booked by referee Williamson in the 38th minute for an apparent case of dissent after a foul was harshly given against the winger.

Bennett showed great hands to collect a powerful low drive from the impressive Harley with less than five minutes of the half remaining.

Town defended stoutly to go in level at the break - a score-line that might prove vital with the Terriers set to emerge in the second half with the conditions in their favour.


The second half was immediately interrupted due to a head injury sustained by Exeter defender Richard Duffy but upon the restart a snapshot from Anthony Pilkington had to be deflected wide by Edwards.

Gudjonsson soon fired well over following a Pilkington corner, cueing ironic cheers from the home fans. However, the signs were promising for the Terriers.

SUB - Danny Cadamarteri was handed his second Town debut in the 53rd minute when he replaced Alan Lee in attack.

GOAL - That man Danny Cadamarteri then scored after just two minutes on the pitch! Bennett's long free-kick was flicked on by the reliable head of McCombe on the edge of the box and 'Cads' sprang the offside trap before controlling the ball and placing beneath the onrushing goalkeeper - sparking wild celebrations!

Town continued to press following the opener and a fierce volley from Gudjonsson slammed into the body of Edwards in the 58th minute after good play from Gary Roberts down the left.

Exeter fought back soon after, but right wing back Steve Tully miscued his header at the back post after Harley had stood a cross up.

SUB - Exeter made their first substitution in the 63rd minute when David Noble replaced Tully.

GOAL - Town scored a superb second goal in the 67th minute, with Gary Roberts netting his 10th of the season. The move started on the right when Anthony Pilkington collected a header from Peter Clarke and knocked the ball past left back Golbourne with ease; he then passed infield to substitute Cadamarteri, who span to make space.

Danny looked up and immediately played Roberts in behind the Exeter defence, who showed great strength to hold off the last defender before placing the ball past the goalkeeper.

SUB - Exeter immediately made a change, with Cozic replaced by Jake Thomson.

Cadamarteri was then put through on goal by Roberts' through ball upon the restart, but he opted to shoot rather than square to Pilkington and his low effort was easily claimed by Krysiak.

Peter Clarke pulled off a great block to deny Archibald-Henville a clear shot at goal from an Exeter corner in the 72nd minute.

At the other end the goalkeeper was fortunate to see his poor clearance cannon wide off the legs of Gary Roberts.

SUB - Antony Kay replaced Joey Gudjonsson in the 73rd minute in a straight midfield replacement.

BOOKING - Exeter substitute Noble was booked a minute later following a foul on Jack Hunt.

SUB - Exeter made their final substitution with fourteen minutes left when striker John O'Flynn replaced Logan.

BOOKING - Richard Duffy was shown another yellow card for a tackle from behind on Cadamarteri on the edge of the Town penalty area in the 78th minute.

GOAL - Town made it three in the 81st minute when Anthony Pilkington netted his 12th of an impressive season, although once again the goal owed much to Cadamarteri. The former Dundee United man picked up the ball from Antony Kay wide on the right and sent a deep cross over to the far post where 'Pilks' collected, rolled defender Duffy and poked the ball home expertly from around ten yards out.

GOAL - Town made it four with two minutes left when Kevin Kilbane scored his second goal for the Club from 20 yards out. A superb move involving Pilkington, Hunt and Cadamarteri down the right channel ended with 'Killer' finding space on the edge of the area and he hit a controlled drive past Krysiak's left side to kill the game off totally.

Cadamarteri and Pilkington both went close following Town's fourth, but on the whole it was a very satisfactory afternoon for the Terriers!

GOAL - Deep into added time Daniel Nardiello netted a late consolation for Exeter, collecting a pull back from the left by Golbourne before firing past Bennett to his right side from fifteen yards.

BOOKING - Antony Kay was booked for dissent following the goal.

In the last meaningful action of the game, Jack Hunt denied Exeter a certain second with a superb last ditch interception just as O'Flynn's cross looked to be dropping to a home striker at the back post.


Town's Team (4-3-3):

Ian Bennett; Gary Naysmith, Peter Clarke (c), Jamie McCombe, Jack Hunt; Kevin Kilbane, Lee Peltier, Joey Gudjonsson (Antony Kay 73); Gary Roberts, Alan Lee (Danny Cadamarteri 53), Anthony Pilkington

Unused Subs: Nick Colgan, Scott Arfield, Lee Novak, Chris Atkinson, Aidan Chippendale

Town Bookings: Gary Roberts (33), Anthony Pilkington (39), Antony Kay (90)

Exeter Bookings: David Noble (74), Richard Duffy (78)

Attendance: 4,786

Town: 294

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.