Skip to main content


21:43 1th February 2011


Lee Clark's Huddersfield Town side extended their unbeaten League record in 2011 with an important home victory over a dangerous Carlisle United side this evening.

Gary Roberts (pictured) netted both goals on home soil to take his seasonal tally to nine in all competitions, with Kevin Kilbane celebrating his switch back to midfield with two impressive assists.

The entire team - through from impressive 'keeper Ian Bennett to forward Alan Lee - played their part to secure another three points.

Town lined up in their 4-3-3 formation for the start of the game against now familiar opponents and had an early scare when a left sided long throw from Carlisle avoided everyone in the packed penalty area and dropped in at the far post! However, referee Mr. Deadman correctly ruled the goal out.

However the Terriers put together a lovely move in the 8th minute when the returning Naysmith found the chest of Alan Lee; he pushed the ball into the path of Gudjonsson, who played the ball inside left back Dudgeon for the onrushing Anthony Pilkington. 'Pilks' advanced on the 'keeper before shooting, but the ball was deflected wide by the legs of goalie Collin.

Two minutes later Lee tried another snapshot, but the ball trickled wide of goal. However, the signs were promising for Lee Clark's side.

Town skipper Peter Clarke headed a Roberts cross wide at the far post after a corner had only been half cleared as the quarter hour mark approached.

The other centre half was at it moments later, but big Jamie McCombe's header from Pilkington's corner delivery was turned to safety by the 'keeper.

BOOKING - Alan Lee was shown a very harsh yellow card in the 23rd minute for a shoulder barge on young left back Joe Dudgeon - a decision that astonished many around the Stadium.

Striker Lee was then flattened by centre half Cooper on the edge of the Carlisle box, which gave Gary Roberts the chance to strike a free-kick at goal; the winger hit the target with his effort, but once again the custodian was on hand to turn the ball away.

The impressive Jack Hunt launched another attack towards soon after; launching a long free-kick into the box from the halfway line. His ball found the head of Alan Lee perfectly and he flicked the ball right for McCombe, but his header found the hands of Collin once more.

Carlisle then created their best chance of the game with around five minutes of the half remaining, but Ian Bennett kept them at bay. Giant centre half Lubo Michalik stung the palms of the goalkeeper with a long range piledriver of a free kick, but the veteran stopper did very well to recover quickly and push away the follow-up from striker Francois Zoko.

'Benno' was at it again moments later, pulling off a world class save to deny Ivorian Zoko. The striker latched onto an excellent low cross from winger Ben Marshall and turned the ball towards the top corner, but somehow the former Sheffield United man dived to his right side and turned the ball over the bar.

GOAL - Town then took the lead when Gary Roberts scored his eighth of the season in the 39th minute of the game. The chance came courtesy of a superb through ball from midfielder Kevin Kilbane; the Irishman clipped a superb pass in behind right back Simek for the onrushing winger, who collected brilliantly before driving the ball low into the far corner from an ever narrowing angle.

That goal - Roberts' first since the FA Cup win over Dover in January - spurred Carlisle into action and they had a spell of possession soon afterwards.

Gary Roberts Celebrate 320
Gary Roberts celebrates his second goal of the game

GOAL - However, that man Gary Roberts scored his second goal of the game with a minute of the half remaining to extend his side's lead. Once again it was Kilbane who threaded the ball through the Carlisle defence, with Robbo totally beating the offside trap to race clear; the winger drew the goalkeeper as he entered the area before slotting the ball to his left side for his ninth of the campaign.

Roberts was really in the mood at this point and showed good pace to outpace the giant Michalik to latch onto a great flick-on from Lee. He tried an audacious lob as the 'keeper advanced, but unfortunately for the Terriers the ball landed on the top of the net.


Town almost extended their lead within the first two minutes of the restart, but a back post slip from Alan Lee meant that he couldn't get on the end of Naysmith's brilliant little dink into the area.

BOOKING - Craig Curran was shown Carlisle's first yellow card in the 50th minute of the game.

Pilkington went close to putting Roberts through on goal once more three minutes later but overcooked his cross-field pass.

BOOKING - Centre back Lubo Michalik was then booked for an ugly challenge from behind on Lee on halfway.

SUB - Carlisle boss Greg Abbott made his first change in the 55th minute, replacing Tom Taiwo with Matt Robson. This all took place while Town's Jamie McCombe received treatment after 'keeper Collin had flattened him to clear a long throw, albeit legitimately.

SUB - Carlisle's second change soon followed, with former Town man James Berrett replaced by Liam Noble in midfield.

BOOKING - Substitute Noble was almost immediately booked for a late challenge on Hunt after he played the ball.

Joey Gudjonsson had showcased his long range shooting skills against Arsenal at the weekend and hit another dipping and swerving free kick narrowly over the bar following that foul on Hunt from fully 35 yards out.

SUB - Carlisle final substitution came in the 66th minute, when new signing Rory Loy replaced Curran in attack.

Gudjonsson then forced Collin into a low save to his right side from a deep Roberts cross, but in reality the 'keeper was never seriously troubled by the effort.

SUB - Lee Clark introduced Benik Afobe to the game in the 74th minute - he replaced Alan Lee for his first appearance in Town colours since the home win over Sheffield Wednesday in early January.

Town were immediately back on the attack through a Naysmith free-kick delivered into the area. The ball was half cleared to the edge of the area where Kilbane picked it up and volleyed towards goal, but unfortunately for the home supporters the ball hit the wrong side of the side netting.

Carlisle were pushing for a way back into the game at this stage, but Naysmith used all his experience to get back on the line to block a low goalbound shot from winger Marshall in the 77th minute.

SUB - Joey Gudjonsson then pulled up with an apparent hamstring injury in the 78th minute and had to be replaced by Antony Kay.

McCombe flicked another header from a free-kick wide as the final ten minutes approached.

BOOKING - Francois Zoko was shown a yellow card for a late challenge on Hunt in the far corner in the 82nd minute as the young defender cleared the ball.

Afobe was then denied a clear header at goal by the giant Michalik late on from an Anthony Pilkington cross. The ball went for a corner, from which Peter Clarke volleyed narrowly wide at the near post.

SUB - Town made their final substitution in the final minute, with Scott Arfield replacing Anthony Pilkington.

A speedy breakaway in added time from Afobe led to a late chance for Roberts to complete his hat-trick, but his powerful low drive was saved well by Collin.


Town's team (4-3-3):

Ian Bennett; Gary Naysmith, Peter Clarke (c), Jamie McCombe, Jack Hunt; Kevin Kilbane, Joey Gudjonsson (Antony Kay 78), Lee Peltier; Gary Roberts, Alan Lee (Benik Afobe 74), Anthony Pilkington (Scott Arfield 90)

Unused Subs: Nick Colgan, Lee Novak, Chris Atkinson, Aidan Chippendale

Town Booking: Alan Lee (23)

Carlisle Bookings: Craig Curran (50), Lubo Michalik (53), Liam Noble (61), Francois Zoko (82)

Gate: 11,572

Away: 283

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.