Skip to main content


16:58 22nd January 2011


Town and Colchester United shared the spoils on a tough and battling afternoon in West Yorkshire, with neither side able to break the deadlock.

The Terriers enjoyed the majority of play in the second-half in particular, with Jamie McCombe and substitute Lee Novak coming closest to scoring, but Ian Bennett had to be alert at the other end to deny substitute Kayode Odejayi late on.

The Town fans packed into the Pink Link Stand were as vocal as ever as the match got underway and Lee Clark's side made a bright start, pushing Colchester back into their own half.

Town's first chance of note came in the seventh minute when Joey Gudjonsson's clever lob over the visiting defence set Anthony Pilkington away, but the winger's touch took the ball too close to the goalkeeper as he entered the area and Williams managed to smother Anthony's shot at his feet.

Colchester top scorer David Mooney volleyed a very ambitious effort over the bar from fully 40 yards three minutes later.

The battle between Alan Lee and Matt Heath, Colchester's giant centre half, was an intriguing one early on and the visiting player needed treatment in the 16th minute following a typically robust collision between the pair.

Ian Bennett needed a couple of chances to take in right back Lee Beevers' low cross in the 19th minute, but did well at the second attempt with a Colchester attacker lurking.

However, the Terriers were back on the attack two minutes later when Pilkington delivered a superb free-kick into the heart of the Colchester area. The familiar figure of Jamie McCombe rose highest to get his head to the ball, but he steered his effort too close to the goalkeeper.

A rare misjudgement from skipper Peter Clarke almost gifted Mooney a chance to run at Ian Bennett in the Town goal in the 29th minute, but thankfully for the home supporters his centre back partner McCombe got back to make a vital interception.

Clarke was at the other end of the pitch two minutes later to meet a deep corner from Pilkington, but he could only divert the ball over the crossbar at full stretch.

Lee Peltier then used the run of Gary Roberts down his right flank as a decoy to create space and fired in a good cross, but Jordan Rhodes could only volley the ball straight into the hands of the goalkeeper.

Mooney then wasted another chance to test Bennett barely a minute later - stepping inside Clarke's sliding challenge but giving Peltier the chance to make a vital challenge.

Town kept pressing and another chance came from a set-piece with seven minutes of the half remaining. Clarke turned Peltier's ball into the area around the corner for Jordan Rhodes, but the striker sent his volley well over the crossbar when well positioned.

SUB - Town's top scorer twisted his ankle when making that shot and had to be replaced by Lee Novak in the 40th minute.

The Terriers had a late corner only half cleared in first half added time, but Gudjonsson volleyed the rebound high into the away fans behind the goal.


Scott Arfield tried his luck with a volley from the edge of the box within 20 seconds of the restart, but he ballooned the ball over the bar as Lee Novak's lay-off wouldn't drop for him.

Gary Roberts made a break down the left wing in the 50th minute of the game, bursting past full back Beevers to reach the dead ball line; however, he fired his low cross straight into the waiting hands of the goalkeeper with players waiting inside the area.

Town kept the momentum up and created the best chance of the game in the 53rd minute. Novak laid the ball off to strike partner Lee and he set Gary Roberts away down the left with a well judged pass; Roberts then pulled the ball back to Novak who was well positioned inside the area, but he sent a side-footed effort inches wide of the far post.

A Pilkington corner then caused havoc inside the Colchester area on the stroke of the 56th minute. The winger's delivery was headed towards goal by McCombe but struck a number of players before a sliding Peter Clarke turned the ball just wide at the far post.

The left foot of Lee Peltier then sent a deflected effort straight at the goalkeeper a minute later as Town continued to press.

Another corner, another chance - McCombe was the danger man again, heading Pilkington's corner into the floor and forcing Williams into a decent reaction save. The giant defender got his head to the resulting corner too, but could only turn the ball wide under heavy pressure from several defenders.

Alan Lee was having a good game and he was the next to try his luck after receiving a pass to feet from Pilkington, but his powerful drive from 25 yards arrowed straight into the hands of Williams.

Town built another good attack in the 64th minute, with Gudjonsson finding the overlapping Kilbane down the left; he crossed excellently to the back post, but Gary Roberts could only head the ball wide of goal.

Kilbane then looped a header harmlessly over the bar from yet another right-sided corner by Pilkington, but the Town fans were vocal in their encouragement none the less.

BOOKING - Lee Beevers picked up the first yellow card of the game in the 68th minute for a blatant body check on Gary Roberts.

SUB - Colchester made their substitution in the 71st minute, with big striker Kayode Odejayi replacing Ashley Vincent.

The former Barnsley man was straight into the action, looping a header over at the far post from a deep Mooney cross.

Gudjonsson then smashed a free-kick straight at Williams from a wide angle, but the fierceness of the shot forced the 'keeper to tip the ball over the crossbar.

SUB - Colchester's second change soon followed, with John White replacing Lee Beevers.

Mooney then got goal side of Jamie McCombe to latch onto a ball over the top, but he prodded a tame effort straight at Ian Bennett.

SUB - Jack Hunt was handed his competitive debut for Huddersfield Town when he came on in the 85th minute; he replaced Gary Roberts. This saw Pilkington switch to the left with Jack moving to the right side of midfield.

SUB - Colchester made their final change a minute later when Mooney was replaced by Lloyd James.

Town pressed hard for a goal in the three minutes of added time, but Bennett had to be lively to spring from his line to snuff out a late break from Odejayi before pulling off an outstanding one handed save late on to push a header away from the same man.

BOOKING - Anthony Wordsworth was booked late in the game for time wasting.


Town's Team (4-4-2):

Ian Bennett; Kevin Kilbane, Peter Clarke (c), Jamie McCombe, Lee Peltier; Gary Roberts (Jack Hunt 85), Joey Gudjonsson, Scott Arfield, Anthony Pilkington; Alan Lee, Jordan Rhodes (Lee Novak 40)

Unused Subs: Nick Colgan, Nathan Clarke, Antony Kay, Tom Clarke, Chris Atkinson

Colchester Bookings: Lee Beevers (68), Anthony Wordsworth (90)

Gate: 12,689

Away: 180

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.