Skip to main content


21:39 2th November 2010


Superb goals from Graham Carey and Anthony Pilkington - his ninth of an already impressive season - sealed a very impressive and comprehensive Yorkshire derby win at Hillsborough this evening to cement Town's second place in League One.

The wing duo scored their goals in the first half to put their side deservedly ahead in front of over 4,000 vociferous Town fans before as an impressive defensive display saw Town keep their fourth clean sheet in five games.

The Terriers, kitted out in their change strip of red and black stripes, had an early scare when Joe Garner - newly promoted back into the team at the expense of the suspended Alan Lee - slipped on the wet Hillsborough surface and stayed down; however, he picked himself up after a brief interlude and continued.

Both sets of supporters were in good voice in the early stages of the game and Town soon settled into their fluent style of passing, with the left sided duo of Carey and Ridehalgh seeing a lot of the ball.

Joey Gudjonsson was another player at the forefront of the game in the early minutes and he almost created the first chance of the game in the 6th minute when he picked up a pass from Carey on the left edge of the opposition penalty area; he smashed the ball across the face of the six yard box, but Jordan Rhodes couldn't make contact with his vicious cross-come-shot.

Carey didn't make the most of a well positioned free kick near the right corner flag three minutes later as Lee Clark's side furthered their impressive start, with the first defender clearing his delivery at the near post.

Wednesday's first attack came in the 12th minute when winger Jermaine Johnson picked up a loose ball thirty yards out before stepping past Carey's challenge; his shot looked destined for the net after hitting Peter Clarke and looping towards goal, but with Ian Bennett stranded the ball fell just wide of the near post.

The torrential downpour was hammering both sets of players as the Owls pushed forward and a quickly taken free kick in the 14th minute found striker Marcus Tudgay in space at the back post, but from an acute angle he could only loop a header onto the top of the Town net.

Left winger Chris Sedgwick powered a harmless header way over the crossbar from right-back Buxton's cross barely a minute later, but it was further evidence to show that the home side had got a foothold in the game following Town's impressive opening salvo.

The Terriers fought back and Jordan Rhodes struck the crossbar with a brilliant 18th minute effort. The in-form Anthony Pilkington did brilliantly down the right, turning left back Jones inside-out before laying a ball into the box for Garner; he turned the ball around the corner for his strike partner, who gained half a yard on Darren Purse before striking the angle of the crossbar and post with a superb snapshot.

BOOKING - Wednesday's experienced skipper Darren Purse was shown the first yellow card of the game in the 22nd minute for a trip on Joe Garner as the striker skipped past him, but more frustratingly had the referee played on Graham Carey had a free run at goal!

GOAL - It didn't matter a minute later when Graham Carey stepped and powered an unstoppable free-kick past Nicky Weaver to put his side ahead. Positioned 25 yards from goal and slightly outside Weaver's left-hand post, the Celtic loanee stepped up and placed the ball between the custodian and the post for his third goal of the campaign.

The hosts tried to bite back immediately after falling behind and Town custodian Bennett was on hand to punch away two crosses into his penalty area.

The pacey Johnson was looking like the Owls danger-man and Bennett had to be alert to push away his powerful shot in the 32nd minute after the Jamaican international had gone past Liam Ridehalgh and into the area. It was a very good save by the experienced 'keeper, who will have been relieved to see a free-kick from Jones drift well wide of his far post moments later.

GOAL - Town then doubled their advantage with a superb breakaway goal in the 34th minute, with that man Anthony Pilkington netting his ninth of the season in brilliant style. Joey Gudjonsson intercepted a poor pass out of defence from Purse before immediately sliding the ball behind the Owls defence for Jordan Rhodes; he turned inside and laid the ball off to Garner on the edge of the box, who immediately pushed it to the right for the onrushing winger. Pilkington ran onto the ball in assured style and bent a now trademark shot around the goalkeeper with his left foot and into the bottom corner to send the visiting supporters into raptures.

Town survived a dangerous Wednesday counter-attack moments after the restart before Garner went very close to threading a pass to Rhodes in the area, only for centre back Beevers to make a vital interception.

Gudjonsson then broke into space down the Town left with just over five minutes of the half remaining before drawing the full back and slipping the ball back to Carey, who flashed the ball across the face of goal with Rhodes inches away from heading home.

Town went inches away from extending their lead again in the 43rd minute when the influential Gudjonsson clipped a ball into the area - Rhodes did very well to roll the giant Beevers inside the area before turning to goal and placing a shot inches wide from a very narrow angle.


SUBS - Sheffield Wednesday boss Alan Irvine made a double substitution during the break, with striker Clinton Morrison and midfielder James O'Connor replacing Tudgay and Potter.

Joey Gudjonsson made a rare mistake as the second half commenced, gifting possession to the dangerous Johnson midway inside his own half. The winger raced towards the Town area, but pulled his low drive well wide.

Substitute O'Connor hit a snapshot straight at Bennett minutes later as the Owls started the half well.

BOOKING - Joey Gudjonsson was the first Town player to be booked in the 54th minute after he cynically stopped Jermaine Johnson's run just inside the Town half by pulling his shirt.

Town fans will have had their hearts in their mouths a minute later when Peltier deflected another Johnson cross into the path of Peter Clarke - the defender unwittingly diverted the ball inches wide of the near post.

The home side were putting Town under real pressure for the first time in the game at this stage, forcing a succession of corners. However, Clark's side stood strong and gave as good as they got.

Johnson blasted well wide from an extremely narrow angle in the 64th minute after good work down the left from Jones.

SUB - Lee Clark handed a debut to Benik Afobe in the 65th minute, with the new loan man replacing Joe Garner.

Damien Johnson pulled off a great block on the edge of his own six yard box two minutes later to deny Neil Mellor a certain goal.

BOOKING - Giles Coke was booked in the 68th minute for a poor challenge on Lee Peltier by the right touchline.

Liam Ridehalgh was doing very well with Johnson in the second half; the Academy graduate was staying bolt tight to his more experienced counterpart and was snuffing out his threat.

SUB - Town made their second change in the 71st minute when Graham Carey was replaced by Scott Arfield. This swap saw Arfield stay on the right of midfield, with Anthony Pilkington switching to the left.

BOOKING - Benik Afobe then did well to draw a clumsy tackle from centre back Beevers on the touchline and the centre back was booked for the offence.

SUB - The home side made their final substitution with 14 minutes left when Gary Teale replaced Sedgwick.

Anthony Pilkington sent a very speculative 30-yard curler way over the bar upon the restart.

Home striker Neil Mellor then put a decent chance over the crossbar from an angle after picking up a clever flick around the corner by substitute Morrison.

Owls skipper Purse then wasted an even better chance with ten minutes left - he was unmarked when he attacked a Jones free-kick at the back post, but he sent his attempted right foot volley into orbit.

Jermaine Johnson visibly pulled up during an attack with apparent hamstring trouble as the final stages approached and had to be withdrawn - despite the fact that Wednesday had no substitutes left.

The impressive Afobe then latched onto a pass over the top from the Town midfield before turning Beevers inside-out, but his eventual shot was blocked by the recovering Buxton. From the following short corner, Arfield pulled a poor left footed effort wide of goal.

Pilkington then drifted inside and picked up a good infield pass from Gudjonsson before looking up and pulling the trigger from 25 yards out, forcing Weaver to push his shot around his right-hand post with two strong hands. 'Pilks' had another chance to shoot from the edge of the box from the following short corner, but sent his second effort well over.

Town kept the ball off ten man Wednesday as the game drew to a close to complete a very comprehensive victory. Jordan Rhodes even had a chance to add to the winning margin in added time after being put in on goal by Pilkington, but he was denied by Weaver's excellent save.


Town's Team (4-4-2):

Ian Bennett; Liam Ridehalgh, Peter Clarke (c), Antony Kay, Lee Peltier; Graham Carey (Scott Arfield 71), Joey Gudjonsson, Damien Johnson, Anthony Pilkington; Jordan Rhodes, Joe Garner (Benik Afobe 65)

Unused Subs: Nick Colgan, Nathan Clarke, Jamie McCombe, Lee Croft, Chris Atkinson

Town Booking: Joey Gudjonsson (54)

Sheff Wed Bookings: Darren Purse (23), Giles Coke (68), Mark Beevers (73)

Attendance: 20,540

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.