Skip to main content


17:08 16th October 2010


Lee Clark's Town recorded a great victory over Southampton this afternoon thanks to first half goals from the in-form Anthony Pilkington and a stunner from Joey Gudjonsson.

'Pilks' scored a very composed and impressive first goal early in the game before the Icelandic international scored an impressive long range second, with Town playing well throughout and defending stoutly when needed.

The atmosphere was buzzing when the game kicked off and Town were awarded an early free-kick when Lee Novak was caught with defender Jose Fonte's high boot. Up stepped Anthony Pilkington to strike the ball goalwards in the fifth minute, but he was denied by a great one-handed save from Kelvin Davis.

However, Town kept pressing from the resulting corner and scored the first goal of the game.

GOAL - Town played a short corner on the left side, finding Joey Gudjonsson on the edge of the box in space; he blasted a superb 25 yard drive towards goal that beat Davis but cannoned back off the far post, only for the in-form Anthony Pilkington to pick up the loose ball and calmly stroke it into the top corner to put his side ahead.

BOOKING - Antony Kay was booked in the when the game restarted for a late challenge on Brazilian Guly do Prado.

Saints enjoyed a decent spell after the opener and it took a good one-handed save from Ian Bennett to keep Town ahead in the 10th minute. A free-kick from right back Butterfield fell to Lallana at the far post and he played a clever reverse pass into the path of defender Fonte, but his left-footed shot was turned to safety by the experienced custodian.

Town were almost gifted a second barely a minute later when a clearance from the Saints 'keeper hit Fonte on the back of the head, with the ball falling to Alan Lee; the Irishman looked up and tried to lift the ball over the stranded custodian, but he also cleared the crossbar with his effort.

Referee Mr. Webster gave Lee and Fonte a long talking to in the 17th minute after the pair clashed on the edge of the away penalty area but that didn't deter the big striker, who was having a fantastic start to the game along with strike partner Novak.

Graham Carey's 21st minute snapshot caused Davis no problems while at the other end a couple of Southampton corners were cleared by the Town defence.

Carey was able to pull the trigger again in the 29th minute after the ball was laid into his path by Novak, but whilst his 30-yard strike had power it lacked the direction to trouble the goalkeeper.

A left-sided corner from Joey Gudjonsson in the 33rd minute, floated towards the heads of Lee and Clarke at the near post, fell to the feet of Antony Kay but his snapshot was pushed away by Davis to his right side.

Damien Johnson did very well at the other end just two minutes to keep his side in front; Lallana stood a cross up towards the back post from the Saints left and when the dangerous Rickie Lambert headed the ball towards goal, the former Northern Ireland international read the game to get back on the line and clear the ball to safety before Bennett fisted it clear.

BOOKING - Anthony Pilkington was shown the second yellow card of the game in the 38th minute when he pushed over Saints 'keeper Davis after he had collected a long throw above his head.

BOOKING - Saints skipper Dean Hammond followed him into the book a minute later for a cynical block on Carey as he looked to play a one-two with Joey Gudjonsson. Gudjonsson took the free kick himself, but his powerful effort was partially blocked by the defensive wall - allowing Davis to gather it in comfortably.

It looked like Town had scored a second with two minutes of the half remaining after do Prado fouled Kay on the halfway line, giving Graham Carey the chance to deliver the ball into the box; it managed to evade everyone before falling to Peter Clarke at the far post, but he steered the ball narrowly wide.

BOOKING - Southampton's Dan Seaborne was shown the next yellow card in the final minute of the first half after he hacked down Pilkington as he strode past.

GOAL - Town scored a superb second goal in the final minute of the half from that set piece, with JoeyGudjonsson netting his first competitive goal for the Club. Carey played another superb cross into the box and although the Saints defence managed to clear with Peter Clarke lurking, the ball fell to the Icelander on the edge of the box and he hit a first time shot low into Davis' bottom corner.


Southampton came out of the tunnel fired up for the second half and Adam Lallana received a superb pass from fellow winger Puncheon within the first 25 seconds of the restart, but Lee Peltier pulled off a fantastic sliding block to snuff out the opportunity.

Town were making good use of the channels in the early stages, with runs from Novak in particular providing a good outlet for the defenders.

SUB - Scott Arfield was introduced to the game in the 52nd minute in place of Lee Peltier, who had picked up a knock and could not continue.

Alan Lee was still battling against Fonte and it was his flick-on that set Novak away down the left upon the restart, but his attempted curler from the edge of the box was expertly blocked by centre back Seaborne.

Puncheon was being well marshalled by young Liam Ridehalgh at left back, but he did squeeze a right footed cross into the box in the 58th minute for Lambert to head towards goal. However, under heavy pressure from skipper Clarke he steered a tame effort straight into the waiting hands of Bennett.

SUB - Lee Clark introduced Joe Garner to the game in the 59th minute - he replaced Anthony Pilkington, who was limping slightly.

BOOKING - Joey Gudjonsson was shown a yellow card two minutes later for a slightly late tackle.

Visiting captain Hammond blasted well wide from range soon afterwards

BOOKING - Danny Butterfield was shown the next yellow card for clipping the heels of Gudjonsson as he approached the penalty area in the 66th minute.

SUB - Southampton made their first change in the next minute, with former Southend man Lee Barnard replacing do Prado in attack.

SUB - Southampton were forced into a second change in the 70th minute, as Rickie Lambert was struggling after a clash of heads with Peter Clarke; he was replaced by Nicholas Bignall.

Unusually, there was a change of assistant referee with twenty minutes left - with fourth official Jason Tyas replacing his colleague, who was struggling.

SUB - Upon the restart, Jason Puncheon was replaced by Morgan Scheiderlin.

SUB - Town brought on Jordan Rhodes for Alan Lee in their final change on 81 minutes.

Rhodes headed Ridehalgh's deep cross over the bar three minutes later before Kay did very well to head a Schneiderlin corner over his own bar with the giant Fonte close by.

Amazingly there were 11 minutes of added time at the end of the game due to the delay with the officials and Town came under territorial pressure. On one occasion Ridehalgh made a superb covering tackle to deny substitute Barnard a clear shot at goal inside the penalty area, but his teammates were all doing their part to ensure a clean sheet and three points.

BOOKING - Late in the game Joe Garner was booked for jumping into Dan Harding.

BOOKING - Jose Fonte was then shown a yellow for a crude challenge on Gudjonsson as Town tried to break.

Chaplow's close range header that went inches over the bar was probably the closest Southampton came on the afternoon, but it made no difference in the end.


Town's Team (4-4-2):

Ian Bennett; Liam Ridehalgh, Peter Clarke (c), Antony Kay, Lee Peltier (Scott Arfield 52); Graham Carey, Joey Gudjonsson, Damien Johnson, Anthony Pilkington (Joe Garner 59); Alan Lee (Jordan Rhodes 81), Lee Novak

Unused Subs: Nick Colgan, Nathan Clarke, Jamie McCombe, Chris Atkinson

Town Bookings: Antony Kay (7), Anthony Pilkington (38), Joey Gudjonsson (61), Joe Garner (90)

Southampton Bookings: Dean Hammond (39), Dan Seaborne (45), Danny Butterfield (66), Jose Fonte (90)

Gate: 14,769

Visitors: 1,070

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.