Skip to main content


21:47 6th April 2010


A brace from striker Theo Robinson sealed an important 2-0 home victory for Town over Roses rivals Oldham Athletic at the Galpharm Stadium this evening.

The Terriers were not at their fluent best throughout the ninety minutes, but the players stayed patient and Robinson took his seasonal total to thirteen goals to help Town cement their sixth position in the League One ladder.

Theo Robinson began the game like he left off at Wycombe on Saturday and immediately set about terrorising Oldham's defence. A good interception by his strike partner Jordan Rhodes led to the ball been played down Oldham's right to Robinson; using his electric pace he ghosted past a static Kieran Lee and played an excellent ball into the Oldham penalty area. Unfortunately, the attempted recipient Rhodes could not get on the end of it and the Oldham defence cleared it for a corner. The resulting corner was well attacked by Town but was defended as equally well by Oldham, who cleared the ball to safety.

Oldham showed their attacking potential in the 5th minute through a combination of Chris Taylor and Lewis Guy. The Latics left winger Taylor, showed good skill up against Pilkington and managed to get a good ball across to the ex Newcastle striker Guy. Luckily for Town, Guy could only manage to head over Alex Smithies bar.

Minutes later Oldham won the first free kick of the game in an extremely dangerous position. In the tenth minute a good break by the Latics resulted in Dean Heffernan fouling Guy. Dale Stephens stood over the free kick, which was just to the left of Town's penalty area, but didn't manage to find a fellow teammate, as Town cleared the danger.

Continued pressure from the away team resulted in them winning the first corner of the game in the 14th minute. Stephens again stood over the ball and this time managed to find a team mate. Unfortunately for the on rushing Reuben Hazell his header was a tame one and bounced kindly into the arms of Smithies.

Oldham should have been ahead in the 18th minute when former Town player Pawel Abbott found himself one on one with Smithies. However, Abbott failed to convert what would have been a deserving opener for the Latics when he chipped aimlessly into the arms of Smithies.

Town were let off the hook again only minutes later when Abbott again failed to find the back of the net. A Stephens free kick was swung high to the back stick and headed cleverly across goal to the waiting Abbott, however, the Polish striker could only manage to hit the bar with his header when it looked easier to score.

Town were finding it hard to click their passing game into gear, however, much of that was down to the resilient play of Oldham who were giving Town no room to move. As we entered the half way point of the 45 it was Oldham who were on top, leaving Town in some need of inspiration.

Danny Whitaker was the next Oldham player to take a shot at the Town goal. In the 36th minute the attacking midfielder attempted to curl a shot from 20 yards into the top right of Smithies goal. Unluckily for the bright midfielder he set his shot too high, and it narrowly went over the top of Smithies goal skimming the bar as it went by.

GOAL - Town broke the dead lock in the 37th minute thanks to the fantastic Theo Robinson. Good interplay between Anthony Pilkington and Dean Heffernan unlocked the right side of Oldham's defence and left Heffernan with a chance to cross. His ball wasn't the best, but proved to be too good for Hazell who could only manage to head his clearance into the floor. This left Robinson with any easy chance, and the striker duly obliged by cheekily chipping the ball over Oldham's keeper Darryl Flahavan.


Town started the half better than they did the first and looked bright going forward, especially down the left side through Heffernan and Roberts. It took some good defending from Oldham's right back Paul Black to prevent Anthony Pilkington getting a shot in on the Latics goal. The winger had received the ball 12 yards out from Oldham's goal and looked to get a shot away; however, Black did well, and managed to get his body in the way of Pilkington's shot, which looked on target.

In the 53rd minute Theo Robinson used his pace effectively to get in behind Oldham's defence. A brilliant through ball by Pilkington curled in behind Oldham's veteran centre half Sean Gregan and offered Robinson a chance to shoot. Unluckily for the striker the ball had forced him wide, and he could only manage to shoot straight at Flahavan who had closed down the angle well.

SUB - In the 62nd minute Jordan Rhodes made way for Town's central midfielder Tom Clarke. As a result of this change, Lee Clark changed the formation of the side with wingers Roberts and Pilkington pushing on to form a three man attack pinned around Robinson.

SUB - After a quiet period of play in the game Lee Clark made his second substitution of the game, bringing on James Berrett for Town's number 4 Michael Collins in the 68th minute.

SENT OFF - Kieran Lee received his marching orders in the 74th minute. The right back picked up his second booking of the game when he fouled Heffernan on the half way line. Lee had early received his first booking at the start of the second half for an infringement, which referee Taylor deemed to be a bookable offence.

SUB - Immediately after the sending off Lee Clark made his final switch of the game bringing on Liverpool loanee Nathan Eccleston for the impressive Anthony Pilkington in the 74th minute.

SUB - Dave Penney made his first change of the game in the 79th minute taking off winger Chris Taylor and replacing him with Tom Eaves.

Town had the first sniff of goal in almost twenty minutes of football in the 81st minute. An excellent ball by Roberts from the right landed perfectly on the head of Town's captain Peter Clarke. Clarke rose highest amongst a mass of players and headed the ball towards goal, unluckily for Clarke and Town his header was straight at Flahavan.

SUB - In the 82nd minute Penney brought on the second of his three allocated substitutes, the lively Pawel Abbott was replaced by the former Bradford striker Joe Colbeck.

BOOKING - Smithies picked up the first Town yellow card of the game in the 84th minute, the keeper was deemed to be time wasting by the referee.

Although down to ten men Oldham continued to pressure, as Town's backline sunk towards Smithies goal. In the 89th minute Town were once again fortunate not to concede when Tom Eaves sliced his shot from ten yards when he only had Smithies to beat.

GOAL - Town made certain of victory in the dying embers of the game when Theo Robinson doubled his and Town's total to make it 2-0. With Oldham all out for the equaliser Gary Roberts broke down the Latics left, with Theo Robinson in support he squared the ball to the striker to leave him one on one with Flahavan. To the relief of the Town faithful the striker easily beat the Oldham goal keeper to send the crowd into raptures.


Town's Team (4-4-2):

Alex Smithies; Dean Heffernan, Peter Clarke (c), Neal Trotman, Lee Peltier; Gary Roberts, Danny Drinkwater, Michael Collins (James Berrett 68), Anthony Pilkington (Nathan Eccleston 74); Jordan Rhodes (Tom Clarke 62), Theo Robinson

Unused Subs: Simon Eastwood, Nathan Clarke, Robbie Williams, Krystian Pearce.

Town Booking: Alex Smithies

Gate - 14,561

Visitors - 598

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.