Skip to main content


17:50 20th March 2010


Town secured their seventh away victory of the season this afternoon with an excellent display in all departments at the Matchroom Stadium. A blistering first half in which the home side could not cope with Town's pace and passing saw Rhodes notch his 19th of the season and Lee Clark's men fashion a number of other good chances. On his return to the side, Robinson added Town's second and turned in a Man of the Match performance as Town got back to winning ways.

Theo Robinson had his first sight on goal within three minutes after Rhodes' knock down was collected by Gary Roberts half-way inside the Orient half. Robbos's first-time through-ball was collected by Robinson who outpaced the home defence, but keeper Morris did well to close the angle and eventually smother the ball.

Michael Collins blazed over the bar from outside the area two minutes later after a couple of Town corners weren't cleared. The last one saw skipper Peter Clarke's effort from 20 yards blocked on the edge of the area and the ball fell to Collins who couldn't keep his effort down.

Town continued to press for the opener and Morris was forced into his first real save after 10 minutes when Gary Roberts saw his snap shot from the edge of the area saved by the keeper.

Robbo should have been celebrating his first of the afternoon on 13 minutes after excellent work on the right by Robinson. The striker beat left back Daniels for pace and crossed to Roberts inside the area, but the winger's powerful low, right-footed drive was a foot the wrong side of the post.

Robinson was causing plenty of problems for the Os with his blistering pace and it almost led to Rhodes opening Town's account on 17 minutes. A cleared ball from Peter Clarke looked to be going out for a goal kick but Robinson outpaced left-back Daniels, kept the ball in play and back-heeled it to Pilkington who swung his cross to the near post for Rhodes whose volley was wide of the mark.

GOAL: Town got the reward for all their early industry on 24 minutes when Rhodes deftly touched the ball past Morris after excellent work by Town. It all started with a beautifully timed tackle by Heffernan on the edge of the Town area when Orient looked dangerous on the break. With Collins in possession he played the ball back out to Heffernan on the left, he fed Roberts whose perfectly placed cross found the onrushing Rhodes and at full tilt, he steered the ball past Os' keeper Morris.

Pilkington tried to add a second moments later when he scampered in from the right flank but his low effort well claimed by Morris at his near post.

Orient attempted to reply on the half hour mark through winger Jason Demetriou who hit a powerful left footed drive from just outside the area, but it flew wide of Alex Smithies right-hand post.

Robinson could have opened his Town account on 33 minutes when his run across the six-yard box was well spotted by Pilkington but the striker could not steer the ball past the Orient keeper.

Former Town trialist Jonathan Tehoue showed pace and guile soon after when he robbed Peter Clarke and forced a corner which he subsequently headed over the bar.

BOOKING: Dean Heffernan picked up the first booking of the game five minutes before the break for hand ball.

The next action came from Town when Rhodes, looking for his second of the game, fired well over the bar from the edge of the area.


BOOKING: Andrew Cave-Brown found his way into referee Tanner's book on 53 minutes when he brought down Michael Collins on the left flank.

From the resulting free kick Theo Robinson was inches away from putting Town 2-0 up after the set-piece was swung to the far post for the striker whose downward header got a deflection and bounced just in front of keeper Morris and over the bar.

BOOKING: Anthony Pilkington was the next name to be taken when he fouled loan man Aaron Doran on the right flank.

A solid break by Town on 57 minutes saw Danny Drinkwater cross for Robinson and the covering Adam Chambers was a foot away from slicing his clearance past keeper Morris and into his own net.

Tehoue was presented with a gilt-edged chance on 63 minutes after good work by the home side. It was the first time that Town had been opened up all game and it came after Thornton's cross from the right was dummied by Scott McGleish on the edge of the area for Tehoue who showed good strength to turn, but with the goal at his mercy dwelled too long on the ball, squandering the golden opportunity.

GOAL: Robinson deservedly got his goal and Town's second on 68 minutes with a superbly taken strike. It came after industry and individual skill from Anthony Pilkington and, in a repeat of a first-half move, the winger rifled the ball across the six yard box where this time, Robinson blasted the ball into the roof of the net from 6 yards.

SUBS: The home side made a double substitution a minute later replacing Jason Demetriou with Ryan Jarvis and Aaron Doran for Harry Baker.

Jarvis made an immediate impression, and with his first touch forged into the area and fell over under the challenge of Peter Clarke, but referee Tanner waved play on.

SUB: Lee Clark made his first change of the game on 72 minutes when Anthony Kay replaced Jordan Rhodes.

Kay almost scored with his first touch after another terrific break by Town involving Robinson, Drinkwater and Roberts, the latter cutting the ball back for Kay whose goal-bound effort took a deflection just wide of the rooted goalkeeper's right-hand post.

SUB: The home side made their final change on 79 minutes replacing Jonathan Tehoue with James Scrowcroft.

Thornton tried his luck from distance on 84 minutes but his effort flew well wide after ricocheting off Kay.

SUB: Lee made his second chance on 86 minutes when Gary Roberts was replaced by James Berrett.

BOOKING: Ben Chorley found his way into Tanner's book when he felled Theo Robinson just inside the Orient half.

Chants of "Theo, Theo Robinson" (to the tune of "Go West") rang out from the Town fans as the striker showed superb skill to round two defenders and forge into the area, but on his left foot, scuffed the effort straight to the keeper.

SUB:Tom Clarke replaced Michael Collins for the final three minutes.

Town's clean sheet was preserved by Alex Smithies, but only just when at the death he managed to 'guide' Sean Thonrton's low free-kick over the bar.


Attendance: 4,119

Travelling: 798

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.