Skip to main content


17:01 24th October 2009


Town extended their unbeaten home record at the expense of Leyton Orient this afternoon, with a late first-half goal proving to be the catalyst for a 4-0 win.

Man of the Match Gary Roberts netted that first-half goal before Nathan Clarke, Michael Collins and top scorer Jordan Rhodes completed a comprehensive win for Lee Clark's men.

Unusually the Terriers chose to kick towards the Fantastic Family Stand in the first half and they created the first chance inside the third minute. A slick passing move involving Williams, Collins and Kay ended when the latter was brought down wide on the left by defender Chorley; Pilkington stepped up to swing an excellent set-piece into the box that Rhodes powered towards goal with a diving header, but 'keeper Morris pulled off an excellent reaction save to deny him what looked a certain goal.

Nathan Clarke volleyed the ball wide from the edge of the area following a Town corner three minutes later as Lee Clark's side dominated the opening exchanges.

Roberts then nearly caught the 'keeper off guard a minute later with a long range right-footed volley, but Morris gathered the ball in at the second attempt.

The game settled finally down after Robbo's effort, but it was Town who were still in the ascendancy and Kay's looping header from a Clarke long throw forced the Orient 'keeper into more routine action in the 16th minute.

It was the midfielder who tried his luck again a minute later after Roberts played the ball to the overlapping Williams down the left - the full-back crossed deep to find the former Tranmere man, but he could only divert the ball over the crossbar with his head when well positioned.

Orient finally troubled Alex Smithies in the 19th minute, but they probably should have taken the lead. A corner delivered by Demetriou from the Town right evaded the England under-19 'keeper and dropped to centre-back Chorley at the far post, who headed over the bar from just eight yards.

Town were back on the attack soon afterwards, but after Collins picked out Roberts with a low ball inside the area he spurned the chance to shoot when ten yards out - attempting to pick out Novak with a pull-back that was cleared by a defender.

Orient midfielder Summerfield bent a hopeful long-ranger straight at Smithies a minute later before Roberts struck a decent effort straight at Morris at the other end in the 24th minute.

Peter Clarke saved Collins' from embarrassment soon afterwards - the Town midfielder almost set Orient player Townsend through on goal with a misplaced pass, but the skipper produced a fine sliding tackle to snuff out the danger.

Chorley looked a real threat from set-pieces and beat Kay to a driven corner from Summerfield in the 26th minute, but could only power a header into the fans behind the goal. A minute later Mkandawire had to concede a corner for the away side and Roberts' excellent delivery was glanced wide by the head of Novak.

Novak's now trademark persistence led to a great chance for Gary Roberts in the 34th minute - the striker slipped when trying to cross the ball into the area but managed to poke out a foot and divert the ball to Roberts', whose right foot drive was kept out well by Morris.

At the other end Townsend soon drove the ball straight at Smithies when 18 yards out before fellow midfielder Summerfield sent a skidding effort wide of the right-hand post.

Referee Quinn didn't exactly endear himself to the Town crowd - or Lee Clark - when he pulled play back for a foul on Collins in the centre circle just as Rhodes was entering the Orient area with the ball in the 44th minute.

GOAL - Town then took the lead in first half added time when Gary Roberts scored his second goal of the season. A positive surge into the area from Michael Collins ended with the midfielder crossing low into the area from the right and although an Orient defender managed to get a foot to the ball, the winger steadied himself before guiding a left-footed volley into the goal via the far post from fifteen yards.


Town started the second-half in a positive fashion and had the first shot after just two minutes; Rhodes was hauled down on the edge of the box by Chorley, allowing Pilkington to step up and fire a 23 yard free-kick over the crossbar.

A swirling wind was affecting play early in the second period but Town were still switching the ball effectively, with Roberts seeing a lot of the ball down the left side and using it well. He earned a 57th minute corner that Pilkington delivered to the back post and just as Peter Clarke looked to nod home, a defender appeared to fist the ball behind!

The Town bench were beside themselves with rage, but that soon changed.

GOAL - Nathan Clarkescored his second goal of the season in the 58th minute to extend Town's advantage. Gary Roberts took the right sided corner and bent it towards the back post, where the centre-back rose highest to head the ball into the bottom corner.

BOOKING - Orient left-back Charlie Daniels was shown a yellow card a minute later for deliberate handball, stopping a Pilkington pass from reaching its target.

SUB - Charlie Daniels and Scott McGleish were replaced by JJ Melligan and James Scowcroft in the 60th minute as Orient boss Williams looked to change the game.

SUB - The visitors made their final substitution soon afterwards, with striker Adrian Patulea replacing Ryan Jarvis in the 67th minute.

SUB - Theo Robinson replaced Lee Novak in Town's first change in the 69th minute.

BOOKING - Orient sub James Scowcroft became the second player to be booked in the game two minutes later after he caught Town skipper Clarke in the face with a stray arm.

Pilkington tested 'keeper Morris with a 25-yard curler moments later before Robinson nodded Roberts' gentle cross into the arms of the goalkeeper.

GOAL - The Terriers made it three in the 74th minute through Michael Collins, but the goal owed much to some excellent play from winger Gary Roberts. The former Accrington wide man had switched to the right flank, where he turned full-back Cave-Brown inside out before crossing towards the penalty spot with his right foot - where Collins diverted a diving header past the stricken goalkeeper.

Roberts was at it again in the 78th minute, crossing deep to the back post after an excellent run and pass from Peltier; his delivery was deflected en-route to Robinson, who could only place the ball over the bar when just ten yards out.

Theo and Pilkington both had shots off target as the game entered the last ten minutes.

SUB - Lionel Ainsworth replaced Anthony Pilkington in Town's second change after 85 minutes.

The new man was immediately in the thick of things, receiving a square pass from Roberts inside the area and forcing 'keeper Morris into a good low save.

GOAL - The Terriers made it four in the final minute of the game, with top scorer Jordan Rhodes netting his 12th of the season. Substitute Ainsworth checked back onto his left foot before crossing into the area; the ball made its way to the back post where Robinson nodded back across goal for the striker to head home at close range.

There was still time for the impressive Ainsworth to hit a drive straight at the keeper from 20 yards, but four was enough for Lee Clark's side!


Town's Team (4-4-2):

Alex Smithies; Robbie Williams, Peter Clarke (c), Nathan Clarke, Lee Peltier; Gary Roberts, Michael Collins, Antony Kay, Anthony Pilkington (Lionel Ainsworth 85); Jordan Rhodes, Lee Novak (Theo Robinson 69)

Unused Substitutes: Matt Glennon, Jim Goodwin, Andy Butler, James Berrett, Danny Drinkwater

Leyton Orient Bookings: Charlie Daniels (59), James Scowcroft (71)

Gate: 13,396

Visitors: 208

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.