Skip to main content


21:48 18th August 2009


For the first time since Steve Bruce's era as manager, Huddersfield Town scored seven goals in one game to vanquish ten-men Brighton & Hove Albion and record their third straight victory. A brace from substitute Theo Robinson added to earlier strikes from Kay, Peter Clarke, Novak, Gary Roberts and Drinkwater to send the Town faithful into ecstasy.

The visitors set up with five players in midfield and enjoyed a fair amount of possession in the opening stages, without showing much penetration. Town still had the first shot on the stroke of 12 minutes when Novak intercepted a loose pass from Navarro on halfway before running at centre-back Elphick, but the defender blocked his eventual effort at goal.

Jamie Smith had the visitors' first shot in the 18th minute after Town only half-cleared a corner, but he sent a looping volley way over the crossbar when under heavy pressure.

Brighton's tactics subdued the Town faithful in the early stages as the Terriers struggled to get hold of the ball in midfield. Brighton's attacks seemed to consist of long balls towards former Huddersfield loanee Liam Dickinson and the striker wasn't giving Clarke or Butler a minute's rest.

GOAL - Town took the lead with their first real attack in the 21st minute, with Antony Kay getting his second goal in consecutive games. A break down the left from Gary Roberts saw the winger whip a good cross into the box that fell to Anthony Pilkington on the opposite flank; he delivered a terrific in-swinging delivery with his left foot that landed on the head of the midfielder at the back post, who diverted it past goalkeeper Kuipers to put the Terriers ahead.

Town opened up for a few minutes after the game and the crowd suddenly came alive.Another Roberts break ended with a pullback to striker Novak in the 24th minute, but he screwed his shot over the bar.

Smithies had to be alert to smother a Cox corner at the feet of defender Adam Virgo in the 29th minute before Town broke quickly to the other end of the pitch, with Kay firing way over from a decent Pilkington cross.

GOAL - Brighton scored an equalising goal in the 34th minute out of nothing, with Liam Dickinson netting a fantastic volley.A long clearanceout of defence by goalkeeper Kuipers was headed up into the air by a combination of Dickinson and Butler, but when midfielder Andrew Crofts headed the loose ball back into the area Dickinson reacted first to latch onto the ball and fire a spectacular volley over Smithies and into the far corner.

GOAL - Town soon regained the lead in two minutes later when skipper Peter Clarke scored his first for the Club. A free-kick was delivered from the left wing by Gary Roberts, which Skarz flicked on at the near post; the next touch came from Andy Butler and as the ball found its way to the back post, Clarke reacted quickest to side-foot the ball home at close range.

Alex Smithies was on hand to tip McLeod's long shot over the bar in the 38th minute and the 'keeper collected the ball when Virgo headed the resulting corner towards goal. He then created an immediate attack by sending a long-kick towards Novak in the opposing half.

RED CARD - As the ball bounced, full-back El-Abd misplaced his back-pass straight into the path of Novak who shimmied before trying to go around Kuipers. The 'keeper brought down the former Gateshead man and was sent-off by referee Swarbrick, despite long protestations from the Dutch custodian.

SUB - Russell Slade made an immediate substitution, replacing Jamie Smith with sub 'keeper Graeme Smith. The goalkeeper picked the ball up from the penalty spot as he entered the box and was immediately BOOKED by the referee.

GOAL - After a long wait, Lee Novak stepped up confidently and sent the substitute 'keeper the wrong way to notch his first goal in the blue and white stripes.


Town bossed possession in the opening stages of the game and good pressure from Novak gave Pilkington an early chance to hit a cross-come-shot that defender Virgo did well to deflect over the crossbar.

Jordan Rhodes then won another penalty in the 53rd minute after his surge into the penalty area led to right-back Whing lunging into him, but substitute stopper Smith guessed correctly and pushed the spot-kick away to his left side.

Pilkington tried his luck with a clever chipped effort two minutes later, but the goalkeeper collected the ball at full stretch.

SUB - Lee Clark made his first substitution in the 59th minute, with Theo Robinson coming on for goalscorer Novak.

Peter Clarke went on a rare dribble from central defence in the 62nd minute before sliding a superb pass into the path of Rhodes, but his low cross into the box for Robinson was well intercepted by Adam Virgo. From the resulting corner, Rhodes' header squirmed underneath the 'keeper - who recovered well to prevent the ball crossing the line.

GOAL - Town scored a superb breakaway fourth in the 65th minute, with reigning Player of the Year Gary Roberts scoring his first of the season. Town cleared their lines following a Brighton attack and found Robinson in space; the home side had a three on two situation and took full advantage, with Robinson laying the ball right for Robbo to advance into the area and place a low shot past goalkeeper Smith.

SUB - Lee Clark made his second substitution immediately following the goal, with Drinkwater replacing Kay.

GOAL - Town netted their fifth of the game in the 69th minute, with substitute Danny Drinkwater becoming another player to net his first for the Club. A superb raking pass from Tom Clarke found Roberts out on the right flank, who immediately turned the ball inside to the onrushing midfielder. Drinkwater took a great touch to set himself up for a shot and although his first was blocked by a defender, he fired the rebound low and hard into the goal.

SUB - Liam Dickinson was replaced by Nicky Forster in the 71st minute.

Drinkwater immediately rammed a 25-yard piledriver against the post with the goalkeeper well beaten.

SUB - Town made their final substitution in the 73rd minute, with Robbie Simpson replacing Jordan Rhodes.

GOAL - Town made it six in the next minute when a slide rule pass from midfield put the speedy Theo Robinson in on the Brighton goal. He had new strike partner Simpson with him screaming for a pass, but the former Watford man sat the goalkeeper down before placing the ball high into the back of the net.

SUB - Brighton's Alan Navarro was replaced by Matt Thornhill in the 74th minute.

Robbie Simpson went very close to opening his Town account in the 78th minute, but he sent a back post header from a superb Skarz cross inches wide of the post.

BOOKING - Andy Butler picked up a yellow card in the 80th minute for a reckless lunge on Andrew Crofts.

Brighton winger McLeod fired well wide of goal on a rare opposition foray into the Town half before normal service was resumed soon after; Robinson firing wide with a powerful left foot drive after an exciting run.

GOAL - Town made it a magnificent seven in added time, with substitute Theo Robinson scoring his second goal of the evening. A magnificent passing move spanning the entire pitch saw the striker pick up the ball to the right of goal and although his first shot was blocked by defender Whing, he picked up the rebound and arced a superb finish into the top corner.

Another superb pass from Man of the Match Clarke in the final minute set Drinkwater away down the right and his ball into the area presented Robinson with a chance for a hat-trick, but 'keeper Smith pulled off a tremendous save to deny him.


Town's Team (4-4-2):

Alex Smithies; Joe Skarz, Andy Butler, Peter Clarke (c), Lee Peltier; Gary Roberts, Tom Clarke, Antony Kay (Danny Drinkwater 65), Anthony Pilkington; Lee Novak (Theo Robinson 59), Jordan Rhodes (Robbie Simpson 73)

Unused Substitutes: Matt Glennon, Nathan Clarke, Robbie Williams, Lionel Ainsworth

Town Booking: Andy Butler (80)

Brighton Bookings: Graeme Smith (40), Nicky Forster (90)

Brighton Red Card: Michel Kuipers (39)

Attendance: 11,269

Visitors: 407

    Data provided by Press Association


    Town was the first club to win three successive league titles in 1926. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United have matched this feat.